Forum Topics CMP CMP Business Model/Strategy

Pinned straw:

Added a month ago

Recently joined the community - first-time poster. Hope I get the protocol right. Prior to joining SM, I was evaluating CMP re taking a small RL position, and the day I joined, I saw the comment from @edgescape below. I hadn't considered CMP selling to the public - didn't think that was its market - so rechecked their website. Although they describe Somfit as HST, it is clinician-based HST, not direct-to-consumer HST.

This is the same deal as BP monitors. Consumers can buy decent monitors directly, but if you're on long-term BP medication, every couple of years, you'll be asked to do a 24 hr reading, which is done with a clinical-practice monitor. Higher tech, more expensive, fitted at the clinic and returned still on you 24 plus hours later. The analytical readout is much more detailed than results from a direct-to-consumer model.

I think the Zoll HST monitor mentioned by @edgescape is akin to a direct-to-consumer BP monitor. I could be wrong but as far as I could see, all CMP monitors (at least 14 different units for sleep monitoring, neurological diagnostics and brain activity measurements) are sold to clinicians/clinical practices, not direct to the public. CMP seem established in those markets, but what the competition is at a clinical practice level is difficult to assess.

That said, I haven't bought in because I haven't been able to find a satisfactory answer to the question: Why is a company that got its first FDA clearance in 1997, listed on the ASX in Dec 2000, sells 14 different high-end medical monitors over much of the developed world, and owns the companies making those monitors in the US and Germany, still not reliably profitable?

Looking at the last four years' returns, I have to wonder if the management team is more focused on constantly evolving the various monitoring abilities rather than on returns to shareholders.

edgescape
a month ago

@Clio

Thanks for the explanation. Probably explains why Zoll HST is more widely available compared to Somfit.

My main concern though is one person filling the role as both Chairperson and CEO. Unless someone here can cite where this model has worked and added shareholder value, I mark this as a potential governance and conflict of interest risk. But I do want to mention that I am sometimes not true to that word on governance with myself holding a company (MAU) where the CEO namedrops 2 companies in their data room at the Diggers and Drillers presentation recently! Anyway I'll just keep saying to myself that accidents do happen.

And also going back on their history, it seems CMP overestimate expectations which poses some downside risk if they don't achieve their targets.

Clio
a month ago

Totally agree with the single person in both roles being a concern. Especially as, in this instance, I have to wonder if this company is being run to further the intellectual research interests of the founder in question rather than having much focus on growing returns. Might be an example when having a founder-led business is not necessarily in the other shareholders' best interests.