Forum Topics LOV FY24--top 10 holding

LOV –TOP 10 Holding—FY24—"once more unto the breach”

Result review – all numbers were above my estimates, with sales $699m ($698m) up 17%, NPAT $82m ($75m) up 21% and stores 900 (+12%) at end of year (est 876). The result included a small impairment and a lower tax rate, adjusting for these the NPAT was circa 3-4% better, GM driven. [note these estimates are my own, not consensus, not reliant on sell side research, I assess the result with a five-year timeframe in mind (not trying to game a beat or miss). The aim is to derive a 5y eps estimate and exit PE, I do consider any guidance (if given).]

My overriding assumption in consumer discretionary for FY24 was a tough operating environment. There are multiple examples globally of firms suffering at the top line and bottom line from luxury goods to QSR and everything in between.

The mix of store performance (rev/store) was quite marked, which shouldn’t surprise us as much as it does. Basically weak everywhere except the US and Europe (the big drivers going forward) which did well. Note that the FY24 expectations for stores were below the expected sales indicating disappointing per store sales. The mature markets of ANZ struggled with a reasonable pull back in store sales. Not too surprising given the maturity and the local economic conditions. Asia was quite disappointing and the growth here will be hard fought, IMO. Europe and US were good, especially good given the conditions, and with both economies at the start of easing cycles the outlook should ultimately improve. LOV mentioned the opening of a warehouse in the US (the first) which will significantly help logistics and store economics in this big market. There could also be an acceleration in the store roll out with the w/h open.

The store rollout was described as disappointing but comes off a very strong Fy23, which I suspect led to over exuberant extrapolation. As mentioned, the store rollout result was above my estimates, but having delivered +99 (net) into a tough environment, it can be considered that a run rate in the 100-200 is not unreasonable going forward for the next few years. LOV has been consistent in messaging that the opportunity is large but rollout is dependent on obtaining sites that underwrite profitable growth and that will be lumpy in execution. Clearly LOV is run like a private company not overly concerned about targets if they come at too high a price.

LOV continue to move into new “frontier” territories although Europe and US contributed 64% of the store growth. (Note US had low growth, hopefully will change with the warehouse coming on). The new countries include some unusual ones in Africa and LOV has consistently said that although some of these stores have low per store revenues, the lower CODB make them more profitable, eg. South Africa being a very profitable country for LOV.  

GM was surprisingly strong at 81% (+110bp), driven by price and stable costs. LOV stated that the price rises were targeted by range and geography not across the board, and had seen no impact on sell through.

LOV indicated that they are entering digital channels with a series of them lined up across the globe. Of course, we have to trust that LOV negotiates terms that are suitable and don’t undermine the value of the product. As one of their major strengths is that LOV controls their supply chain not allowing inventory to migrate. LOV stated that digital is comparable GM, they do not use it as a  clearance channel. In regard to China, the online channel is much more important than in other countries, which makes it very tricky. There are lots of examples here of trouble with retailers dealing with BABA/JD etc. Taking their time on entering the market is very wise, many have been skinned in the Chinese market and there is a lot to consider such as the physical store/online dynamics (price/margin) and mix. China is still considered a large opportunity.  

The accounting for LOV is usually very straightforward. Much so this year with FCF very strong allowing a dividend above EPS. FCF exceeds NPAT +Depn. Inventory was reduced to low levels, so no signs of overstocking. There was an unusual movement in SHF with a reduction in “other reserves” of $23m, which looked odd, potentially the CEO LTI being allocated.  

Valuation

The intrinsic value of LOV continues to move higher as it adds assets above the cost of capital (like all quality growth companies). Assuming a 15% eps compound for the next five years, adding dividends and an exit multiple of 25X, to generate a 10% return would require buying in the $27-28 per share range (my base case with a margin of safety). EPS Growth of 20% pa gives a buy target of $33 to give an idea of sensitivity. LOV is no longer the underappreciated growth story, the level of ownership by ST trend followers is much higher and that will lead to volatility but the growth story remains intact IMO.

The change of CEO and the lagging effect of any cuts in interest rate on activity do potentially present some ST risks of some softness in the next couple of results.

Other issues

Im always interested in what concerns the market with LOV.

1.     The Taylor Swift effect will have to be comped in Oz and Europe.

2.     The stock turn in LOV is very low 2X, the model is different with high margins supporting the economics (lack of turn), and a long tail of inventory in store to support choice.

3.     US tariffs from China could impact the GM.

4.     Without the decrease in CEO LTI ($15m) the ebit growth would have been very low.

5.     Lov will look to other markets eg Japan/Korea + others in time.

6.     Landlords are becoming more aware of LOV as brand awareness increases, making it easier to negotiate with large landlords. US landlords the main issue and continue to be the largest bottleneck to growth.

Disc held, last sales low $30,s. last buys circa. $19.

And thats my top 10 done for this results season ????

5680a845b7ba8bdf36ccc1176a5bfd3b97a83c.png

aa4a098386f45662818446a8f58d56b5289d43.png

mikebrisy
4 weeks ago

@Solvetheriddle - great note.

I have to put my hand up and confess that in my earlier remarks I failed to recognise the retail cyclical effect. (My head has largely been in healthcare land today - no excuse)

In that context LFL -2%, reflects the discretionary sector. This can be expected to pick up significantly in due course and means valuation should take into account. The 1st 8 week FY25 LFL of +2% is also similar to what we've seen elsewhere in discretionary retail land.

But what will the future rollout look like? Were they just poised in FY23 to take advantage of favourable deals from shopping centres recovering from pandemic hangover?

Taking that into account, I'm broadly in the same place as you on value, and I think the next period will be less about analysts marking down, and more about the market coming back to where the analysts are.

Disc: Not held

Slew
4 weeks ago

Thanks for the wrap-up @Solvetheriddle  It echoes my thoughts.

A couple of quick points: (I have been too busy lately to respond to anything in depth, but I did manage to listen to the investor call as LOV is a top 3 position for me.)

Victor and China:

When Victor resigned, my thought was that China is not working out. I felt he was brought in to be a key driver in this market as he speaks Mandarin and set up Zara in China. So my thought process was: is this a thesis breaker for Lovisa? I decided it wasn’t based on:

1. China is a hard retail market for a foreign company. Gone are the days where being a foreign brand gave you automatic status with customers in China. Back in the day, Jeans West, remember them, had a significant retail presence. My perception is the market has evolved and matured; consumers are just as likely to back homegrown brands, be that electronics or clothing.
  2. The online buying penetration in China is large. I can’t remember the figures off hand, but pursuing a digital presence makes sense to me given the buying habits. Shopping in China used to be a national sport; I’m assuming it still is, but is it more about the experience of window shopping rather than buying in-store? I don’t know, I haven’t been to China for many years now but spent a lot of time there in the past.

China is a huge market if successfully penetrated; however, there are potentially more risks there from an operational perspective and market penetration. I have mentioned in the past that Lovisa’s secret sauce is their product development. China is the one country where I see this could be targeted successfully given the support for local brands, “recent-ish” country loyalty, and access to manufacturing.

So does Lovisa need China? Potentially it could be an excellent revenue source, but as solvetheriddle points out, there are risks, and I am also happy they are going slow and testing the water; you could blow up a lot of $ chasing growth here.

Americas:

I wasn’t aware of the new warehouse in the US until the call. To me, this is an important signal as to where Lovisa is planning to expand their store network. At around the same store count as Australia (which is now a mature market), the room to expand in the US and surrounds is huge. The call alluded to a bit of a go-slow to ensure the logistics and store setups could keep pace with store rollouts, which seems logical given the number of stores opened in the previous year. It also alludes to the restraint of management to only open stores that meet their criteria, in lease costs, location, etc. Further, the call mentioned that as the brand has increased its recognition as a business, so they are most likely getting sweetheart deals in malls as a key tenant or playing hard ball until they do. I haven't looked at job openings for Lovisa in a while, It will be an interesting data point to track progress in the US.

Peripheral countries:

There are a few countries in Africa, etc., which seem too small to chase on the surface, but perhaps the country count is not the relevant data point. It is more about a logistics network that can supply a region. This point was made on the call that the US is looked at as Americas, a continental market.

Thesis breaker:

• When the store rollout starts to slow, IMO at least 3-5 years??
  • Real sustained competition emerges in the space, could happen fast in an online influencer world.
  • New management unable to keep the momentum of the business moving forward. Not sure how I quantify that, will need to think about it, I guess store openings/Rev per store
  • Broadening opposition to fast fashion.

Anyway, a bit of an early morning ramble, apologies. The short of it is I consider Lovisa a growing business with store rollouts across multiple jurisdictions. Yes, it will be lumpy, but I endorse the management’s perspective to only open stores in locations if all the ducks align in terms of the CODB and they seem disciplined in this.

I’m holding. I have been in Lovisa for a long time and regret the few times I have sold out due to being over “valued.” I’m prepared to look through the inevitable SP lumpiness and focus on the long-term view. Where will Lovisa be 5 years from now?

Strawman
4 weeks ago

Great notes @Solvetheriddle @Slew

Likewise a bit too expensive for me, but would be interested at a lower price.