Forum Topics RDY RDY CEO Meeting

Pinned straw:

Last edited a month ago

First of all, thanks @GazD for putting ReadyTech on the radar. I'll admit, I wasn't that familiar with it but I can see why it has piqued your interest.

Marc struck me as humble, thoughtful and long-term oriented. He's been running things since 1998 and it's clearly a point of pride that they've grown to a >$100m revenue company while being profitable the whole way through.

I also liked how he is very focused on the opportunities that are right in front of them --- 70-80% of their target market here in Australia are on old legacy systems, so he didn't seem too rushed to expand into new geographies or verticals just yet (although they are clearly eyeing the potential longer term).

Of particular note was Marc's elaboration of adoption and the S-curve nature of things. Especially given their hard won onboarding of some great reference clients.

Likewise, he really seemed to understand the significance of capital allocation and associated trade-offs. He was cognizant of the need to invest in new features/opportunities, while remaining disciplined and cautious.

Shares are on a P/s of ~3x and a PE of ~42 -- although it doesn't seem inappropriate to use their underlying NPATA value (which takes out things like one-off acquisition/restructuring costs and amortisation of acquired customer lists etc) which gives you a PE closer to 21.

For a business that reckons they can grow to $170m in the next three years (all organically, with any acquisitions in addition to that) and at a cash margin of 20%, that doesn't seem like too high a price.

Anyway, as with every company, i'm sure there are negatives so I would be keen to hear any concerns from others who are more familiar with the business.

GazD
a month ago

Thanks @Strawman for this interview. I enjoyed it very much and was good to 'get to know' Marc. Looks a very positive story and on a reasonable valuation for profitable scaling tech. Marc is very personable which paradoxically is always a worry for me because I'm a sucker for a nice person/founder. His understanding of purpose, however, resonated with me as did his LONG term approach.

I guess a couple of question marks for me...

1) Share count has increased 50% since 2018... Whilst this isn't awful they also have 50 mil of debt (admittedly 30 mil cash on hand) but leads to my second observation

2) Dilute earnings/share (morningstar)

2020 = .05

2021 = .02

2022 = .08

2023 = .04

Revenue compounding at a rapid rate but earnings not so much...

FCF similarly bouncy rather than up and to the right...

What say you @Strawman or others following Readytech?

Strawman
a month ago

I've not dug deeply into it @GazD but the disconnect between revenue growth and EPS/FCF is because of the growth CAPEX. ie. they're parlaying the extra revenue back into the business -- a super smart move if they can ultimately achieve a good ROI on that spend. (a terrible waste of capital otherwise...). Determining which is which is (in my opinion) one of the most challenging aspects of investing in small caps.

It's what you should expect to see in the earlier stages of a business' lifespan, but ultimately it very much needs to start throwing off cash -- and at a rate that generates a very decent rate of return.

GazD
4 weeks ago

Cheers @Strawman. I guess you can't be supportive of the long term approach and then resent the recycling of revenue into cap ex... Nice summary.