Forum Topics SSG SSG Shaver Shop Group Ltd General Discussion

Just posting this in part to get into practice of how the fourms work as I haven't started a thread before. I hope it doesn't come across as critical as it just relates to perhaps tempering expectations of another bull case post I read on SSG. Not sure if you can tag the other poster but it was just about the seasonality of the earnings of SSG. However I don't think you can hit reply to the bull case posts so making this thread here.

I am a bull on SSG so am on the same side as the bullish poster I read! I agree with the arguments made just clarifying some inputs to the valuation. So just mentioning here that doubling their latets half earnings will give an overly optmisitc view. Fathers day, black friday, Chistmas being some big factors that weight their yearly earnings to that 6 month period.

Having said that, I see the stock at EV /EBIT for FY21 at a mutiple of circa 6. Some will view the stock as just in a one off covid benficiary phase. I think they had many structural trends going on well before covid. Also in November / December I don't see that period is being too covid impacted but they still showed fantastic growth. It still could be a good contrarian buy as my feeling is the market thinks there is no extra growth in them now in the years ahead. I think their brand will lead to more market share gains, growth in the number of new male (caring more about grooming) and female (they invested heavily in store layouts / marketing to tap into this) customers, NZ expansion. They will probably delvier cost and efficiency gains from controlling their store network and being flexible on the mix they decide on between online and physical. Perpertual have been selling down the stock a lot and is capping the price of late but I don't think that will prove such a good move from them. I can see a sustainable yield of over 6% going forward.

Appreciate the feedback Dealsmate. I get some comfort that FY22 revenues can still see some decent growth given their expansion in the online customer list over recent years. Their database according to the last presentation was 440,000. About 2 years prior to that this stood at just above 100k. I guess some these days like to unsubscribe to a lot of “junk” style emails but I think it stands them in good stead that their sales offers can reach the inbox of past customers. 2020 was such a big year so understandable that brokers might think some of their new customers in the last year may take awhile to come back and make some repeat purchases. However perhaps the huge growth in their new online customers that was occurring prior to covid between 2018-2020 can see some happy customers from then use them again. Can that make them more loyal customers, not sure, hopefully. I also am wary of the direct to consumer threat you mentioned. SSG does have some exclusive product agreements as I understand which may help. My feeling though also are customers might like to go via Shaver Shop to see more of a choice of items as they browse. Also perhaps they get comfort from thinking of them as a very long lasting trusted brand. Obviously you would expect your products to work and get delivered on time but maybe there is that extra comfort knowing a physical store is not far away if you run into problems. To summarize I can’t really pound the table here and say your risk factors are not valid. Similar thoughts are at the back my mind so I guess it is just a subjective call. The valuation looks more like one that reflects that 2020 was largely a one off covid related sales surge. That might be the case but equally there looked to be a lot of growth drivers before then. I think they have gone from 10% of revenue online to more than 30% in the space of 2-3 years. Hence I am surprised at the low multiple on SSG when you look at some retailers more renowned for their online sales.