Forum Topics DSE DSE Dropsuite Ltd General Discussion
loshell
one year ago

@jayjayjayjay I think @Valueinvestor0909 was referring to the extra three zeroes on the number of 25c hurdle options i.e. it's written as 2.85B but presumably should be 2.85M

Exactly. that is more than a market cap. I am sure it is a typo but found it very annoying thinking about it.

jayjayjayjay
one year ago

Hahaha wow completely missed that. Straight over my head

mushroompanda
one year ago

Good post on the quarterly results @Chagsy. Not many surprises here, the company keeps chugging away.

The biggest positive was gross margins expanding from 66% to 70% in the quarter. It was only at 62% at this time last year.

I wanted to add a bit of colour on how the company is achieving this through "various cloud cost initiatives". A big portion of the company's cost of goods sold (COGS) is cloud storage. In Dropsuite's case, it's the AWS S3 service. When I spoke with management over a year ago, I came away with the feeling that they were not doing a whole lot of cost optimisation. And to be fair, when you're growing rapidly and have achieved traction only a couple of years prior - it's something you throw on the backlog and come back to when there's some spare engineering capacity.

Here's the current public price list for AWS S3 storage in the Sydney availability zone (prices are in $AUD).

5b2247ac7539e2db048f36aae6d5b70458aedd.png

The standard storage tier is 2.3c/GB/month. Dropsuite's use case (where only 1.0-1.2% of companies access backups in any given months), it's a no brainer to flick on the Infrequent Access tier at 1.38c/GB/month and save 40% right off the bat. The company could potentially also move email/file backups over 12 months old to the Glacier Deep Archive tier, where customers won't mind the slightly longer "up to 12 hours" restore time, at 0.2c/GB/month and save an additional 85%.

Just putting some examples out there of the types of cost optimisation that can be done - I'm not privvy to what they have or are planning to implement. Also the cost savings could be offset by new feature additions to improve the customer value proposition, like better search and analytics features.

Solvetheriddle
one year ago

@mushroompanda good work. you can ask him on Monday for details

JPPicard
one year ago

Great work here @mushroompanda. It's a great point here on their margins. I remember having this conversation with a mate who suggested Dropsuite was less attractive than other Saas companies because of their margins. I have a different view, and think the margins can continue to improve over time if they continue adding value to the product.

An example of this in the release is their mention of having launched QuickBooks Online Backup in Beta to a select number of partners. That's the sort of improvement that delivers higher margins over time as they can slowly increase the price of the product.

mushroompanda
one year ago

So here’s a public example on why a company may want to use Dropsuite’s products. https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/06/rackspace-blames-ransomware-attack-for-ongoing-exchange-outage

The context is a bit different - Rackspace is managing a hosted Microsoft Exchange email service for its clients, and Dropsuite is predominantly Microsoft Office365 email backup - but it highlights what could go wrong. Rackspace customers are likely to be without email for a few days as the service is migrated and access to old emails for I assume week or two (assuming backups didn’t get ransomed as well).

No doubt the DSE marketing department will highlight this story to current and future customers.

mushroompanda
2 years ago

@Strawman, Claude and Matt spoke about Dropsuite in the latest episode of Baby Giants. Link with timestamp: https://overcast.fm/+1A6jH4v8g/44:24

Great discussion and some very good points raised. One point was the balance of power MSPs (managed service providers) hold in the relationship and the risk that they’ll switch to a cheaper service in order to make a higher margin.

MSPs generally sell services in the form of an a la carte menu. The analogy would be when you sell a house, the agent charges 1.8% but the marketing budget is a menu of items. Some items are highly recommended if not compulsory (REA ad, billboard, professional photos) while others are optional (professional copywriting, coffee cart at the auction, local paper ad). Lets say an MSP charges US$3.00/month/user for email backup and pays DSE US$2.10 for the service. By far the easiest way to take a bigger cut is to jack up the price - to say US$3.30/month/user. Dropsuite places no restrictions on MSPs on how they charge for the backup services.

The switching risk would only apply if customers are very sensitive to the $3 price point and the MSP wanted to keep the price while earning a larger margin by switching to something cheaper.

Migrating backups or straddling two backup services (putting new users onto a cheaper service) are huge pains especially in a tight labour market where an IT engineer’s time is highly valued. And while price increases is a very easy and pain-free alternative.

Strawman
2 years ago

@mushroompanda always great to get insight from industry insiders. Super valuable stuff.

Plus, who doesn't like a bit of confirmation bias!

jayjayjayjay
2 years ago

@mushroompanda @Strawman I don't see the risk of MSPs switching to say another service. There representation would be important and by looking at the product Dropsuite offers compared to industry wide they are ahead of the game compared to competitors and continue to innovate to make their product better. Also I would have predicted that the MSPs using DSE service conducted research into all backup providers prior to choosing to use DSE service. As Chariff mentioned their biggest competitor is white noise (people not using any backup service) and I assume most of their competitors share similar prices for their products whether that be backup assist or nova backup etc. Given DSE receive on avg $2.2 APRU a month I would not imagine another service of lower quality could be on charged by the MSPs to their users for a higher margin for them to benefit. In other words MSPs have the best chance of making a higher margin by offering the best service and for them to take a larger piece of the cake by charging their users this higher cost.

The bigger risk and one that has occurred before is an MSP making their own in-house backup service but again this would cost significant money and time. Currently DSE has ~900k users would one of the MSPs design their own product to take say ~100k users across to their service which may not be as good as what DSE offers?

The fact this occurred in the early days of DSE being a company perhaps enables them to plan around this not occurring again and therefore reduces that risk. Not to say it can't and has been a key focus on DSE not being so reliable on their top 10 customers in the past.