Forum Topics EOS EOS Electro Optic Systems Hldgs Ltd General Discussion
AUROPAL
2 years ago

A very ugly report from EOS and shows that they bit off more than they could chew with the Space Link investment and now they're having to regurgitate it half digested.

While the financing facility with major sharehold Soul Pats provides some welcome working capital relief, I am concerned that it paves the way for a debt for equity swap in the future if EOS cannot right the cashflow ship. I've been on the wrong side of one of those before after a company did a very large aquisition that turned out poorly and it's not good *cough* Slater & Gordon *cough*.

A small consolation is that even the very smart folks at Soul Pats got it wrong on EOS so I don't feel as bad that I did too!

Shapeshifter
2 years ago

Surely it's only baggies holding on from here?

Shapeshifter
2 years ago

Thank you @MrMotion for your reply.

As a I learn to overcome my own weaknesses (thanks to strawman) as an investor I see one thing - I am a fallible human and I have much to learn.

The sunken cost fallacy is the general tendency for people to continue an endeavor, or continue consuming or pursuing an option, if they’ve invested time or money or some resource in it even if they are worse off.

All of these things are irrational, in the sense that you should realise the money is gone. But I do think people do these things because they want to convince themselves that they’ve managed to recapture the loss.

In economics, a sunk cost is any past cost that has already been paid and cannot be recovered.

AUROPAL
2 years ago

In the end you can't change the past so all that matters is the future and what does the future look like for the business?

So you have two choices:

1. Decide that you can get a better return by selling and investing the remaining capital in a different business
  2. Decide that the bad news is already baked in and the future risk adjusted returns of the business will be good enough to justify owning the business

Sunk cost fallacy and price anchoring are real cognitivie bias's and if you're hanging on for those reasons then you need to catch yourself. However if, looking at the future of a business, you think it offers acceptale risk adjusted returns then holding on is perfectly fine.

wtsimis
2 years ago

Pleased to have exited EOS late last year at a loss .

To much uncertainty in determining value of the business even though the space they operate is niche

AUROPAL
2 years ago

I won't be participating in the SPP. Just feels like throwing good money after bad at the moment and I don't have enough faith in managment at this stage to give them even more of my hard earned.

Shapeshifter
2 years ago

Raising capital when the share price is down here is a two finger salute to shareholders.

AUROPAL
2 years ago

I am down a similar amount and it's at the point now where it's worth so little there seems no point in selling.

The question really is, will they keep going as an ongoing concern or are they in a position of running out of cash or needing to do something drastic like a debt for equity swap?

AUROPAL
2 years ago

Be interesting to see if ASX issues EOS with a speeding ticket/please explain over yesterday's move on no news.