Forum Topics CXZ CXZ Connexion Media Ltd General Discussion
TEPCapital
one year ago

My rough back-of-the-envelope estimates based on the recent $3m USD boost to ARR:

Assumptions:

• $1.5m USD boost to rev in 2023e (half of the financial year remaining)
  • $3m USD boost to rev in 2024e (versus 2022) (all $3m USD of the ARR boost flowing through)
  • NPAT margin expands to 25%
  • PE of 15

Leads to a share price estimate of 3c for FY23e and 3.8c for FY24e, versus 1.9c currently.

We're back to all-time highs in performance.

Would love to get other thoughts.

73a1fef4f71dfe4e2e8c1d8f6c490801e7de02.png

Strawman
one year ago

Good timing on your Connexion post @TEPCapital -- we just lined up a meeting with their CEO for next week (see Meetings page)

TEPCapital
one year ago

Brilliant, nice work on lining this up, @Strawman! Just added two questions to the Slido.

TEPCapital
one year ago

I feel that this little Aussie SaaS business in the automotive (telematics) industry, Connexion (ASX:CXZ), is very much flying under the radar: 

• $9.9m AUD market capNo debt and $2.5m USD in net cash and investments ($3.55m AUD)
  • They provide telematics software to all General Motors dealerships, among other OEMs.
  • Currently at an all-time high in gross profit.
  • Given they are purposely operating the company to be bottom-line neutral (investing for growth), I consider gross profit the next best indicator of valuation
  • Annualising the last quarter, I get $3.6m USD in gross profit, which equates to $5.11m AUD GP at current FX. 
  • That's an (annualised) EV/GP ratio of 1.2x [($9.9m AUD mc - $3.55m AUD cash) / $5.11m AUD GP]. Seems very cheap to me.
  • They had a small blip in revenue a while back, due to the global semiconductor shortage
  • This fed through into the size of dealer vehicle inventories but this now seems to be recovering well.
  • What has Mr Market got wrong at 1c/share? I think the market has either overlooked it, or it has been tainted by its early years, when it was highly unprofitable (before landing GM as a cornerstone client in August 2018). Mr Market may also want to see further customer diversification.

Would love to hear thoughts on the company from everyone here, particularly our fundies @Wini & @BkrDzn if you have the time. :)

Cheers,

BkrDzn
one year ago

Small company with no sustained growth proven (GM deal was largely one off lift) in a competitive sector. So with no visibility on scaling to a serious level means value trap is the likely experience. Won't lose much but not likely to make heaps either at this stage. Would be better as a private company as keep the extra cash from listing and compliance costs.

edgescape
one year ago

Definitely agree this sector is a competitive space. One search brings up lots of companies.

I find most small tech and biotechs never like mentioning their main competitors when they know their product is somewhat similar to what is on the market and they can't answer why everyone should pick their product over the competitor in their presentations. Or even mention any external threats that may shorten the runway on their product.

TEPCapital
one year ago

Thanks for your thoughts, @BkrDzn, @PinchOfSalt, and @edgescape, they are appreciated.

BkrDzn, I agree that there is a risk this continues to be a value trap.

PinchOfSalt, I believe the risk of CXZ losing their cornerstone customer (GM) is low as they are entrenched and are deepening their relationship there, but it is a risk nonetheless.

Edgescape, relative to the competitive landscape, they are the lowest cost provider (by about 50%), but I don't consider this to be a moat in and of itself, it is important that they continue innovating.

I'm a big fan of using the Farnam framework to decompose returns into their drivers. It is discussed here in this investor letter from Farnam Street Investments.

CXZ can grow its SaaS revenue streams via:

1. Proprietary feature enhancements valued by its existing userbase of franchised dealerships
  2. Commercial Partnerships bringing complementary functionality to this existing userbase
  3. Expansion of the userbase itself to new OEMs and franchised dealerships

Using the levers outlined by Farnam Street, I think CXZ could (conservatively) achieve the following over the next decade:

• Sales: +10% p.a.
  • Margin +1% p.a.
  • Share Count: +2% p.a. (reducing SOI)
  • PE multiple: -2% p.a.
  • Yield: 0% p.a. (no dividends)

Summing them up, if achieved, CXZ could conservatively deliver an 11% p.a. return from here over the next decade (and possibly much more if growth accelerates into double digits). In the last quarter alone, gross profit for CXZ grew by 16%, but that is likely due to the temporary tailwinds now behind them (easing semiconductor shortage).

That's purely a hypothetical example, but the framework is a useful method for decomposing the drivers of returns. Another caveat is that CXZ is not currently producing a bottom line (NPAT) profit - instead choosing to optimise for NPAT neutrality and re-invest for growth.

Here's the above hypothetical in numerical form:

3c3cb1f75fe062ea0c278b6fa5e9ef9b8de31a.png

Overall, I think there is still a return to be had here. This phrase in particular sums it up; "You can see why we’re excited for the next decade of a new market regime. It will be a time for solid operators, disciplined capital allocators, and patient investors".

AlphaAngle
one year ago

Been listening to the old Berkshire meetings and cant help but be reminded of one of Charlie's comments on projections. "If a company has a grim past but a bright future, we'll usually pass"