Forum Topics SDI SDI Dentists view on SDI products
Timocracy
one year ago

@BoredSaint So I've just spent a couple of days clearing some spaces for renovation in the Sydney Dental Hospital (University of Sydney simulation clinics) and came across this topical relic. Though apparently it's not much of a relic and it does take years for new methods or products to become standard practice.

That being said, we are talking about a generation of 'teeth doctors' (my preferred broad term for dentists, orthodontists etc.) who stuck with what they were taught 10, 15, 30 years ago. Perhaps the freshest generation of enamel enthusiasts might be a little more open to using new products, equipment and techniques throughout their career rather than being (dental)cemented in antiquated teachings.

3560a11660428ed6f33cd34edecdad0ebf7617.jpeg

BoredSaint
one year ago

I feel that the dental companies are constantly upgrading their product set and coming up with better materials however it is hard to determine how successful these products are in the long term. Very hard for them to do in-vivo studies to test for longevity. And so its really up to the dentists to trust that these materials are indeed better than what they have used (and with good success) in the past.

BoredSaint
3 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thought I'd add some personal views on SDI products, might inform everyone as to whether this is a good investment. I am looking at this purely as to my personal views on their products and not on any investment thesis.

As other's have mentioned in the past, SDI is shifting more towards cosmetic products (as is a lot of dentistry shifting towards this aspect). So I'll mainly talk about their cosmetic products which I'll separate into Composites and Bonds, GIC and Whitening products.

Composite and Bonds

• Composite Resin is the main type of general filling material used in Dentistry
    • Main product is called Aura and they also have other products such as Wave (flowable composite resin)
    • From personal use of Aura it would not be my first preference of composite resin and neither would Wave
    • I find the material too hard to handle and the flowable composite Wave always seems to produce air bubbles..
  • Bond is the "glue" that is used to stick the composite resin onto the tooth
    • Main bond is Zipbond
    • I've never seen any of their bond products stocked at my surgery...

GIC (Glass Ionomer Cement)

• These are sometimes used for fillings but is more usually a temporary type of material.
  • Their product is called Riva
  • Their main competitor in this field is called Fuji made by GC (a Japanese company)
  • Personally have used both products and I find them similar. 
  • I believe Riva is cheaper? May be able to gain market share here.

Whitening Products

• Main product is called Pola
  • They offer an in chair option (Pola office and office+) as well as an at home option (Pola day/night)
  • These have been marketed heavily in recent times (reps have been coming and trying to sell the products to us)
  • Main competitor would be Zoom by Phillips (as well as the recent increase in non dental kits like Hismile)
  • Personally have used Pola office+ on paients to varying results. Definitely less sensitivity produced (a common side effect) compared to Zoom but I would also say less whitening effect
  • Pola day/night is a fantastic product however and patient's often return to purchase more (we basically make them whitening trays which fit exactly to their teeth and they can reuse the trays and keep purchasing the gels). The whitening doesn't last forever hence why the patient's would return.
  • They also seem to release some new products in the whitening range often (I've not tried any of these yet. Due to covid not many reps coming around to promote)

So the general takeaway... Wouldn't be the first choice in terms of choice of material for fillings but they do produce some good whitening products. May be some room to improve if they can improve their products.

Hope this helps everyone, just thought I'd contribute since this is an area I am some what familar with.

Happy to answer questions too!

shadow
3 years ago

Wow, this is great. Thanks for posting this!

Quick question...based on your post though, would it be fair to say that there is no special competitive advantage or branding power that gives SDI an edge over competitors?

BoredSaint
3 years ago

This might be a bit hard for me to answer as I am not currently a practice owner or in charge of ordering products into the surgery. But for what its worth the only product that I may prefer to use that is SDI would be the Pola day/night. For the general filling materials I much prefer other products from other companies (3M is a big competitor).

The only other advantage may be in the product price. I believe their products are slightly cheaper than other companies (may be due to the fact they manufacture in Australia). I'm also not 100% sure if there are any supply constaints due to Covid-19 which may be forcing practices to choose SDI products which are locally manufactured.

BoredSaint
3 years ago

Yes I agree that it is hard for these companies to gain a competitive advantage. Marketing direct to consumer is difficult as these products are dentist only products and we prefer patients to come to us to purchase.

There are currently lots of advertising for direct to consumer products in the cosmetic space especially with whitening products (Hismile etc) and aligners (Smile direct club, Byte etc). Our problem with these products is that without professional guidance, there can be safety issues. 

I guess they could potentially open whitening clinics and have dentists or dental therapists use SDI only products as a way of being more direct to consumer?

In terms of the filling material part of the business, it would require marketing to the dentists themselves. From the dentists point of view I think just an improvement in their product quality would persuade some to switch from their current product choices to SDI but currently there does not seem to be a product that is better than what is produced by their competitors.