Forum Topics EMV EMV EMvision meeting
bjbart
2 years ago

Just catching up on the excellent EMvision meeting presentation. I think they have a very exciting product brewing here which, if it goes as planned, could be a genuine game changer and solve a multitude of problems as outlined in the preso. Through the work i do, and have done in past, I can relate to all the short comings of the current patient diagnostic and transport/logistical pathway. Say for instance, a patient has stroke symptoms at a small peripheral hospital. They would need to be transferred to the larger rural referral hospital for a ct scan. Should the scan show a stroke that meets the criteria for a mechanical thrombectomy (a neurointerventionalist goes in through the blood vessels in the groin with a small catheter, up into the brain and physically removes the clot), they'd then be transported by road or air to the nearest centre with this service for this procedure. This is all performed in a time-sensitive manner and at all times of the day with the goal of improving blood flow to the effected part of the brain in the shortest time possible. So you could see that the patient would skip one step in the process with EMV's scanner by getting scanned at the first hospital they present to, skip the second, and going straight to the third for treatment. This has a number of implications including improved time to treatment but also reduced burden on the already stretched patient retrieval network which is very complex and very costly. Efficiency and cost is everything in the public health system, given that most struggle with both. If you can improve both of these things you may stand a chance of getting your product into it.

Another tail wind for this product is that stroke treatment and management has been a very active area of research for the last 10 or so years, and there have been a lot of positive results and hence medical progress. For instance, The current literature shows benefit for thrombectomy from 0-24 hours from the last time the patient was seen to be well. The landmark trials for this are only 5-7 years old, which is not long in medical terms (here is one for those interested: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa1706442). I'm also led to believe that there are current trials looking at extending that out to 36 hours (although I haven't seen them myself). This would significantly increase the demand for such services and hence the efficiency of the entire system would be even more critical. This is a growing area.

Lastly, a clear, broader trend of med tech is point of care diagnostics and/or treatment. As technology improves, things get smaller, more portable and often cheaper and quicker. Both generally as well as in medical technology. There are many examples where bedside testing has changed practice significantly. Point of care ultrasound is a very good example which is almost ubiquitous in this country now. The tests that UBI have and are working on are another. So EMV's product could perhaps be the next generation of this trend in stroke diagnostics.

Anyway, just my 2 cents on some potential practical implication of this technology.

I don't hold any shares in this company but i will be watching on with interest.

Edit: third paragraph

Strawman
2 years ago

A reminder: the EMvision meeting will start at 1pm AEDT today (ie in 5 min)

Head over to the meetings page to tune in, or join direct in Zoom:

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86473218535?pwd=RkhLa3FlRzh6RmRmUDhRYW9NNEljUT09

You can add questions/comments here:

https://app.sli.do/event/de4NqHDVdePgJ3WmE55y5k

Noddy74
2 years ago

Really impressive presentation. Very clear direction and team.

Surprised to hear they have partnered with NVIDIA. Haven't they heard of Brainchip? Sounds like a perfect application for Akida. (Puts grenade pin in pocket and slinks away)...

Strawman
2 years ago

I have to admit that very early stage medtech is an area I'm normally wary of -- at least until there's some evidence of sales traction.

That being said, the tech seems impressive, well advanced and undoubtedly has a huge addressable market. Also, I think they have a clear go to market focus, and some encouraging partnership opportunities. Management have a good track record, are well aligned and have so far been pretty consistent with setting and meeting key milestones.

The next 12-24 months will be very interesting. Some further positive trial results and locking in formal distribution agreements will be something I'll be watching.

As I said elsewhere, there are more than a few similarities here with Nanosonics from a decade or so ago (not just in terms of the key players).

I'm considering taking a very small starting position as a sort of watching brief (but will leave it a week or two to remove any perceived conflicts).

Will likely be volatile with more than a few capital raises along the way.