Forum Topics Investment Principles
Timocracy
2 years ago

"Not" a strategy to DCA?

Had a thought, wanted to get opinions. Will do my best to provide an example below with some simple numbers.

You want to purchase shares in company X that you've done your research on, have faith in the management and strategy of and is reasonably priced to perform well over a 3, 5 or 10 year period.

I'm curious to propose a strategy that makes the most of tax LOSSES while dollar-cost averaging into a position without "trying to pick the bottom".

You have an educated expectation that the shares will be sitting around $27 per share within 7 years (compound 15% P.A.) so you start with an initial investment of $20,000 at a price of $10 per share. (2,000 shares)

Within the first 12 months, the SP has in fact dropped 30% from a good announcement that the market seems to have misread. So each share is now selling on the market for $7 per share. (value is now $14,000) You want to invest another $20,000 cash into the business. You think WOW I'm getting a 30% discount! This would bring your average entry cost to $8.50 per share with a cumulative value of $34,000 (4,000 shares total, $40k actually invested.)

My proposal would be to SELL the entire investment at a loss. That's a $6,000 loss that can be brought forward to offset a gain. Then buy back all immediately still $34,000 worth but you would end up with more stock in the company at the cheaper offering of $7.00.

You would then still have a $34k holding of 4,850 shares (give or take) instead of the other method of holding 4,000 shares and a loss that isn't crystallised.

Let's say this is the only time over a period of 7 years that you made this manoeuvre. Thankfully you've picked a company that is relatively consistent in it's growth.

If you never sold and decided to add the extra cash as above you would see 4,000 Shares X $27 each = $108,000 (not yet taxed, you haven't sold yet and "nothing" to write off against the gain. This is still off $40,000 invested. Not bad by any means)

If you were to take the other approach, you'd be looking at 4,850 shares x $27 each = $130,950 (not yet taxed, haven't sold yet - but also have a $6,000 loss to take off the taxes due.)

That's a difference of $22,950 plus you can work in your tax loss whenever you like. Could also take advantage of mis-pricing along the way as well as standard procedure of taking risk off the table if/when hype comes into play etc.

You could rinse and repeat this process as long as you are consistent with your thesis and don't let your biases get in your way of throwing good money after bad.

I kind of see this as a slightly ballsier approach to dollar cost averaging which would probably only benefit on a big scale.

I had all of this going through my head on a motorcycle commute listening to a podcast about something completely unrelated so would love to hear thoughts and opinions and see if there is actually a title for this style of investing or any literature/media that would demonstrate success?

***EDIT***

I would like to also add on some basics calculations, you would end up making more money in my proposed scenario but also have a 20% larger tax bill. Surely the ATO would like that???

thunderhead
2 years ago

Would this be construed as a wash sale by the ATO?

https://www.morningstar.com.au/learn/article/avoid-this-expensive-tax-time-mistake/168452

Timocracy
2 years ago

I’m not sure it’s a wash sale if it’s uncorrelated to tax time and just advantageous of occasional market movements?

Timocracy
2 years ago

I’m interested to learn more of how this plays out when there’s a long-term goal in mind. Surely you have a right to lock in a loss or sell losers to fund a holiday (rather than triggering a CGT event selling a winner) due to market mispricing and reserve a right to re-purchase.

I’m not talking about selling in May/June and buying back in July/August….

Just being a “strawman”

Timocracy
2 years ago

@Maaxweell fair enough. It’s not something I’ve personally attempted (or at least that I’m strictly aware of)

I can definitely align with your comments (and therefore, the law I suppose. Lol)

I do still admire the irony of throwing the book at someone who is intending to make a gain which incurs a larger tax in the long run! ????

Hands
2 years ago

But isn't that what stock traders do? They buy at what they perceive to be a good price, then sell within a short time period (doesn't necessarily mean a day). 50% chance they make a gain and 50% chance they make a loss. But my point is that they often buy and sell the same stock again 24hrs later.

So if you were to sell a stock on some negative news, then pick it up again on the next positive run up, how can the ATO distinguish that behaviour from a wash sale?

reddogaustin
2 years ago

Share trading and share investing are two very different things in the eyes of the ATO.

Both choices have different tax outcomes. Specific proofs are required by the ATO if you want your shares treated as trading (vs the default of investing).

Hands
2 years ago

Thanks to all for the clarification.

I suppose the probability of this happening is not very likely. It only becomes an issue if you sell at a loss and pick up the SAME stock again within a short timeframe.

Having just sat through 3 months of a see-sawing market, I wonder how many "investors" have turned "traders" especially for some of these high movement stocks eg Paladin (on-again off-again Uranium supply fears with Russia). But then again, when I sell something at a loss, I'm not interested in picking them up again any time soon - more due to bitter memories than anything else.

Timocracy
2 years ago

@Hands when I was starting out I couldn't make up my mind with TAB, TLS and DW8. I think I went in and out of those half a dozen times each and probably didn't break even after brokerage!

Hands
2 years ago

@tbra97 It's hard to remain decisive during a turbulent market. Woolworths was one of my indecisions. I sold at a loss watching all the bad press on COVID and supply chain. I watched it drop to $34 and thought if it had it been a year ago, I would have snapped them up in a jiffy. But because of my emotional bias (bitterness), I purposefully ignored the stock. Thinking on it now, had I sold at a slight profit, I think I may have bought it back at the $35 mark. But having sold at a loss I think it might be a few months before I can touch that stock again... nothing to do with fundamentals.

The share market is brutal, plays havoc with your senses.

Vandelay
2 years ago

Hi Strawpeople. 

What investment principles do you think are important? And do you follow any investment principles in your process?

I've been reassessing my investment strategy. I've only been investing for about 5 years now and so far my investment process has been as rudimentary. Find companies i like, do some research, valuation and invest then monitor the progress.

I want to try and build a strategy with more framework and purpose. I have come up with some "Principles" I want to base my process and strategy on. The aim is to use these principles to build and implement processes which I can follow. 

The principles and the processes I build will not be locked. Ill progressively develop and change them as I learn more.

Below are the 10 principles I have come up with to start (the quotes I added just for fun):-

1.      Only buy quality companies.

Only invest in companies which I identify as quality businesses through my stock analysis. Use checklists to analyse company competitive advantages, management, business models, strategies, durability, financials, long-term prospects etc. Remember the vast majority of losses in the stock market come from picking the wrong business.

It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price.” Warren Buffett

2.      Business focused.

My investment process is completely bottom-up, based on company specific research. Trying to predict or forecast macro conditions is unlikely to be accurate and easily forecastable things are unlikely to provide any edge. Ignore the outside noise and market sentiment. The businesses I invest in should be durable and be able to prosper through the macro cycles.

Share price is not the business, the business is not the share price. Focus on the business performance and its long-term prospects.

“We believe consistently excellent performance can only be achieved through superior knowledge of companies and their securities, not through attempts at predicting what is in store for the economy, interest rates or the securities markets.” - Howard Marks

3.      Valuation matters.

Have a clear concise valuation with easy-to-understand reasoning. Conduct valuation calculations under various possible scenarios with a reasonable margin of safety. Based off these calculations and prior to committing capital, ensure the high probability that this investment will meet my desired return.

“No matter how wonderful a business is, it’s not worth an infinite price. We have to have a price that makes sense and gives a margin of safety considering the normal vicissitudes of life.” - Charlie Munger

4.      Rational and objective.

Base all my investment decisions on rational interpretation of the facts. A rational and objective view will give me a behavioral edge over the market irrational sentiment swings of fear or greed. The market is not a fundamental analyst it is only a barometer of the collective sentiment. Therefore, avoiding emotional decisions is critical to increasing the probability of investment success. It’s crucial to attempt to recognize and avoid the pitfalls of cognitive, emotional, and behavioral biases. I will avoid hubris and embrace humility by recognizing that I will often be wrong. I will continually work on my ability to embrace and rationally assess new information as its presented. If the facts change, I will change my mind.

The investor’s chief problem—and his worst enemy—is likely to be himself. In the end, how your investments behave is much less important than how you behave.”- Benjamin Graham

5.      Remain within my circle of competence.

Look for investments where I have great understanding, or the ability and desire to acquire a great understanding. Don’t be seduced by complexity. Seek out simplicity - wait for “the fat pitch”. Complexity is not required for great returns. If a company is too hard to understand avoid wasting time, especially if it is an area that doesn’t interest me enough to put in the effort to learn. There is plenty of other lower hanging fruit to choose from.

I don't look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over.” - Warren Buffett

6.      Do the work.

Commit to completing the processes I have put in place prior to making any investment decisions. There are no shortcuts to long-term investment success. For every potential investment, build an in-depth understanding of the business and the market it operates in. Knowledge of the business will build more conviction. As my understanding, knowledge and research base increases so will my informational and analytical edge over other market participants.

The person that turns over the most rocks wins the game.” - Peter Lynch

7.      Reduce unnecessary risk.

It is of the highest importance to protect my capital from unnecessary risk. Rather than just pursuing potential profits, I will put priority on avoiding losses. Every investment carries a certain level of risk. Look for asymmetrical opportunities where the upside far outweighs the downside. Be healthily sceptical, actively seeking to identify and monitor the risks of each investment. Establish clear framework outlining the bear case and what the circumstances are which would cause me to sell.

If you don’t invest in risk management, it doesn’t matter what business you’re in, it’s a risky business.” – Gary Cohn

8.      Patience, think long-term.

Invest with a minimum 5-year time horizon. A long-term investment horizon will drastically reduce my competition within the market providing an edge over participants with shorter horizons. Longer term investing may require me to endure periods of underperformance and delay gratification of returns (as long as the underlying business is performing as expected). The patience needed should be executed in conjunction with low trading activity to limit costs and eliminate the impossible task of trying to time the market. Activity does not equate to adding value. Low activity coupled with patience and time is the best way to maximize the benefits of compounding.

The stock market is a device to transfer money from the impatient to the patient.” - Warren Buffett

9.      Discipline & Consistency

Being disciplined and consistent with all aspects of my investment principles and process will ensure a higher probability of success overall. The principles and process will evolve as I discover what works and what doesn’t work. By remaining disciplined and consistent this will be easily identifiable over time. Don’t fall victim to hype, FOMO, fear, or greed, which pressure to sway from sound strategy. There will always be exceptions to the rule which can make strategies seem silly at times. But with discipline and consistency, a sound investment strategy will produce the results I want in aggregation over the long run.

Discipline to continually accumulate assets by consistently adding to my investing capital is more important than the strategy itself. Having more investment capital maximizes the dollar amount to be compounded.

We don’t have to be smarter than the rest. We have to be more disciplined than the rest.” – Warren Buffet

10.  Perpetual learning

Prepare my mind. Curiosity about areas and companies I am interested in will lead to a willingness to learn. The more I learn and develop, the easier it will be to recognize opportunity.

Take in as much information as I can. Continually study and improve my skill as an investor. It’s wise to expect I will get a lot of picks wrong. Learn from these mistakes and avoid repeating the same mistakes again.

If you’re not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.” – Brian Tracey

PortfolioPlus
2 years ago

Excellent post Vandelay. I would add just one extra - Have a written investment plan and a written strategy for both buying and selling. #4 on your list is the hardest of them all!

Vandelay
2 years ago

Thanks @PortfolioPlus. Good advice. A written plan & strategy is my next step, using these principles as the starting framework .

Strawman
2 years ago

Nice list @Vandelay

Process is everything

Rick
2 years ago

I love that list @Vandelay Thanks for sharing it. I have only one suggestion. Please upload a PDF of your final version so I can save and use it! :)

I don’t have an issue with selling at a loss if I’ve been wrong. I did that recently IRL with Mesoblast after reading @Noicewon11 MSB valuation of zero. On “the Call” Jun Bei Liu from Tribecca said she was surprised it was still listed! There are lots of businesses like Mesoblast on the ASX, and they’re not for me!

Most of my losses have been as a result of investing in unprofitable business that have a convincing story but very little evidence to back it up. I don’t how how to value these businesses and I’ve decided they are speculative and outside of my circle of competence. I’ll miss a lot of multi-baggers, but for me, the risk is too high when your only income is from investments.

I’ve decided that I’m happy to wait until a business becomes profitable, or are at least is smelling the profits. I am happy with a return of 10% to 15% per year compounded by a selection of quality businesses with consistent high return on equity, reasonable growth, high margins and very low debt.There are thousands of listed businesses to choose from so you can be very selective.

Cheers,

Rick

Alpha18
2 years ago

Fantastic list @Vandelay . I have a remarkably similar process to yours when it comes to investing. I think the way you’ve articulated it is great, I don’t write things down enough. I’ve only been investing for a few years too and should do this more.

Only thing I’d add is assessment of management. This is something I didn’t really do in the early days (I didn’t know what I was looking for) but it’s a big part of my process now.

Specifically:

1) Do they have skin in the game. It’s so important to me that their interests align with mine and they feel the consequences of their decisions, both positive and negative.

2) Are they spruikers or overly focused on the share price? This is a red flag for me. There are exceptions, I hold UWL on Strawman and one could argue they fall into this category. This made me hesitant but I decided to hold regardless because of the safety of their business model and high recurring revenue.

3) Compensation. I’m very happy for management to get paid well when they execute but a history of poor execution and a high pay packet is not a good mix. I also make sure management are not getting overly generous options packages.

4) I always like watching a few interviews with the CEO, either on Ausbiz of Youtube. What I look for here is someone who’s self assured in their ability but not cocky. I also like CEOs that are passionate about solving a problem rather than just wanting to grow a business to X revenue by X year. If the problem is solved well and it creates value for the customer, the money will come. Customer focused is important too, I think Rob Scott from Wesfarmers epitomises this.

5) What’s their record been like so far, either at the company or where they’ve been previously? Have they met their previous targets?

Vandelay
2 years ago

Thanks @Rick once ive completed a full strategic brealdown from Philosophy - Principles- Process, I can definitely share if you are interested.

@Alpha18 Good points on management. This will definitely tie into my Principle #1 analysis of determining the quality of a business.

Vandelay
2 years ago

Just to clarify on my Principle #1 "Only buy quality companies". My opinion is that quality is somewhat subjective. So when i say quality only, this will be my interpretation of what traits a quality business should have. Which will be reflected in my checklists and processes i create. I dont want to be too restrictive on just profitability or financial ratios/metrics. Everyone has access to these and i dont feel it provides an edge. However i do believe these things can be useful to identify a quality business, just not the be all and end all. And i fully expect my checklists and definitions of what is quality to refine and develop over time.

Good list

IMO the best risk/reward comes from buying quality when it is on sale.......simple right?

whats quality? when is it on sale? and have i the discipline and patience to follow the plan......the hard part

SaberX
2 years ago

Agreed with this. When you strip it back everything from your valuation of a company through to all your checklists of considerations all come down to two really predefined things that they feeed into: what are your reasons for investing, or trading, and what are your conditions or factors that will cause you to exit positions.

The latter is hard for many and especially adhering to taking a loss with your rules based framework... The former is pretty much every little thing that forms in your toolbox. If you have insufficient knowledge on valuing a company for example, or forming why your buying it, then your written plan is more likely to fail you. Or worse still - you don't have one?!