Forum Topics Investing style - income stream
SaberX
2 years ago

I do admit being relatively new, the issue i have resonates similar, my personal portfolio is limited in cash, and from a conviction point of view I'm willing to hold them to see potential gains (or perhaps I'm just impacted by behavioural biases and can't take a loss with some hah!) - whereas with strawman I am able to take more positions in ideas and see how they play out.

On a personal level it doesn't quite work out the same, but if i ever could equalise the two then I suppose both would mirror one another. I think you need to make peace with landing in the middle, chasing some convictions on "paper" I.e. SM, and then where gaps in available funding are, picking and choosing what you want to replicate.

On the other hand while you are paper trading on SM and acquiring knowledge presumably the biggest benefit is having 'ideas' and things that you can eventually learn and take up into your real life portfolio. SO just the 'learning' aspect of that.....

THe other issue is obviously some stocks belwo the 2c limit onn buys, which i am happy to purchase IRL, which cannot be done on SM, and the 20% rule - understandably why these are in place for ranking and %'s, but these may compete with your in real life approach. Either way i think there's no exact science or need to replicate like for like, so long as your happy juggling between two realities?

GazD
2 years ago

As a relative newb on SM I am very aware of how much I don’t know and also discussions I may have previously missed but wanted to raise a topic of investment style and also Strawman design @Strawman.

IRL I have a steady income with which I can make regular contributions to my share portfolio. I feel that this helps me to ride out volatility and has helped shape my buy and hold (very slow seller) approach IRL.

On SM the model is to start with a bucket of money and make or break it from there. My real life style doesn’t work so well this way as I’m forced to sell to buy into new ideas (eg hold Kogan IRL but have sold on SM).

The other potential result of the once off starting portfolio of 100k I can imagine is that people might abandon their poorly performing portfolio on SM and simply start another one until they’re off to a winning start… or give up when they realise they’ve lost a significant chunk of their portfolio on SM.

I guess this issue/consideration has probably been raised before but interested in whether people have noted a difference in their own IRL styles versus SM styles.

Also interested @Strawman whether you considered a nominal income 1000 dollars per month say to provide a more real life model for those in the income generating stage of their lives.

fully aware that there are pros and cons either way…

Strawman
2 years ago

Hi @GazD thanks for raising these points. We have considered them before but just don't think it makes any real difference.

In regards to having a regular 'income' that adds to your cash balance, there is, as you say, the issue of what income is 'normal'. But to my mind it's all arbitrary anyway.

Your SM portfolio is there to build a track record, but it's also a signal to your fellow members as to what stocks you think are worth holding, and in what proportion. Whether you have a $100k portfolio or $10k portfolio, what I want to see is how you weight your positions. Eg a 20% holding suggests a company on which you have a very high conviction, whereas a 2% holding doesn't carry nearly as much weight.

This is true too of regular cash additions. After the cash is added, it needs to be allocated (or left in cash if you prefer) but either way the percentage holdings are the important signals.

Remember, there is no minimum parcel of shares (you can own a single 2c share if you wish) and there are no tax or transaction costs.

So in your case, using Kogan as an example, you could have just sold some of your shares to free up cash for your new position. Either way, whether you reweight your portfolio or get fresh cash, you'll have a certain percentage allocation to a range of stocks once it's all said and done.

So it really doesn't make any difference. And it avoids the issue of longer standing members being granted more cash to play with.

As for resetting your portfolio and trying again until you get a good start, while thats possible you also reset the timer.

I think I probably speak for most when I say that members put much less emphasis on 3 month returns, then they do a (say) 12 month return.

The way rankings and awards work mean you just get less credit for having a 3m return, but nothing else. So continually resetting your scorecard just doesn't give you much advantage. Even if you do persist once you get a good start, there's no guarantee you'll get a good return in the months ahead and our returns are all calculated on a trailing basis over the various timeframes.

Hope this all makes sense. Of course, others may disagree so always keen for feedback.

Timocracy
2 years ago

@Strawman way down the track you could also incorporate ways of redeeming award credits to purchase parcels of SM "paper money" when you don't want to sell down high conviction holdings but find another opportunity....

Strawman
2 years ago

Some good points @markeewan

I would clarify though that Sequence risk is only a factor for the 'since inception' return figure -- it is not a consideration for the trailing return calculations. And we aggregate them all when ranking and rewarding performance.

Bear77
2 years ago

Hi @tbra97 I think your suggestion has merit, however it gets back to the lack of a level playing field, where potentially some members would have a larger pool of capital to invest than others. Personally I don't think the amount of starting capital makes any difference actually, because it's the p.a. returns through the investing cycle that matters. And when you are dealing in percentage returns, somebody with a $1,000 portfolio can outperform somebody with a $1m portfolio. The dollar amount is really immaterial. So I don't have any issues with the $1,000K/month top-ups or your idea of being able to use Strawman award credits to purchase more investment dollars here, however I'm guessing it could become either messy or complicated for the site devs/programmers to provide the coding and maintenance for all of that for what is probably a minimal gain in terms of the user experience. It would be nice, but perhaps not right up the top of the wishlist.

Bear77
2 years ago

I tend to invest here, and IRL also, on the basis of weightings in terms of conviction and opportunity, so the most undervalued companies for which I have the highest conviction will tend to be my larger positions, and my lowest conviction positions will usually have low weightings in my portfolios, however that changes somewhat when I feel the market is primed for a decent correction or crash. Rather than go to cash, I will often up my exposure to safer and larger, well-established companies, and reduce my exposure to smaller and riskier companies. So you could look at my portfolio as a $1,000,000 ($1m) portfolio by simply multiplying everything I hold by 10, or a $10m portfolio by multiplying each position by 100. Then those $1K positions start to make more sense, because they'd be $10K in a $1m portfolio and $100K positions in a $10m portfolio.

GazD
2 years ago

Thanks to @Strawman @Bear77 @markeewan @tbra97 @SaberX for responses.

I found all of this conversation educational and stimulating. Happy to play the game as it's written but sometimes I like to share thoughts.

Just to be clear I am absolutely not trying to explain my relatively shitty performance on SM away. My IRL portfolio is also similarly in the red currently! I'm totally unfussed though as I have a 25 year work horizon and I figure(/hope) I'm learning plenty! Delighted to be learning from such a great group of people.

Strawman
2 years ago

Thoughts always welcome @GazD

Never be backward in coming forward!