Forum Topics CAT CAT Is SaaS the be all and end all?
BoredSaint
2 years ago

Just some random thoughts I was having..

I understand from Catapult's point of view the reasoning behind transitioning to a SaaS model (more consistent revenue stream, better cash flows, better retention of customers), however is it the best business model going forward?

From a customer's point of view, if you were a professional sports organisation then it would make sense to transition across. But going (back) into the prosumer space it may impact the decision of the customer as to whether to sign up for a subscription based product as opposed to buying an outright tracker for a one-off fee.

Just as an example, Statsports (a competitor) sells a similar vest like tracking product for an outright fee of $120, compared to Catapult's $20 per month subscription model (these figures are just from what I've read, correct me if I'm wrong). If the products are similar, it would seem like Catapult may lose out on a sale due to their business model given the cost (if the products last the same amount of time) would be lower from their competitors over time.

I've seen similar themes occurring in the Telco space as well with 365 expiry sims competing with the standard monthly fee plans/prepaid. SaaS would seem a good business model for mission critical software business as there would be ongoing support and updates, and the products are much more sticky. But is it the best business model for Catapult's product range?

Interested to know everyone's thoughts here.

Disc: Held IRL and on Strawman.

Strawman
2 years ago

yeah good question @BoredSaint

For me it depends on the update and new feature schedule. If, under a subscription plan, I get regular enhancements and features, I'd much prefer to pay $20/month.

But, if I'm paying $20/month in perpetuity, but not seeing any extra benefits over time, then I'd far rather pay a one-off up front cost.

Arguably the subscription model is cheaper if it means I don't have to buy a new device every year or so.

All that being said, i'm not sure exactly what the situation is with Catapult One (although it only launched 7-8 months ago).