Forum Topics Alphabet (Google)

re OpenAI --chatbox

IMO this is the best article i have read on the issues GOOGl face with this new technology. (mainly because i agree with it--lol), it is not the technology itself but the profitable integration into the search function which brings with it some conflicting issues-which to optimize. likely GOOGL has been wrestling with these issues for a while.

btw never having used tik tok i found the reference to financial advice on TT bizarre, isnt TT all talking dogs and young women dancing in bikinis!

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4566868-googles-core-advertising-could-suffer-own-innovations#comments

Timocracy
a month ago

The next generation of “new” internet companies will have to grapple with making sure AI search points them to a solution that the AI itself can’t provide which is almost a catch 22.

Perhaps the future is a “Spotify model” of paying $0.000002 per play/click to whatever source the AI has used? Bonus points for being verified in some way?

Please @ me if you want to start that company. Could be fun. Lol.

Mujo
4 months ago

I thought this was very comprehensive write up on Alphabet for those interested - Google the Golden Goose of the Internet - by Rihard Jarc (substack.com)

Solvetheriddle
4 months ago

thnx

Mujo
3 months ago

Thought this was an intersting exercept from Benedict Evans regarding the slow down in advertising (or not).

"I’m very glad I’m not an equity analyst and don’t have to do results season anymore, but this quarter has been especially dramatic, most of all in the online ad industry. Growth has slowed way down for the first time, well, ever, and Meta and Google are pointing to the economy, but the global ad agencies are saying the opposite - no slowdown in advertising overall just yet. So what’s going on? Part of this is displacement to Tiktok, part the ongoing fallout from Apple’s privacy moves, part a slowdown in gaming with the end of the pandemic (Apple and Google both mentioned this) and hence acquisition spending, part displacement to Amazon ads (up 25%) and retail media (Walmart, Target etc). Oh yes, and Amazon warned on visibility for ecommerce sales for Q4, sending the stock down 25%"

Solvetheriddle
3 months ago

hi @Mujo below is the last 10 years of revenue grwoth for GOOGL. the lsat year is calendar 2021. pick the odd man out, keep in mind the rev number is $258B. imagine cycling that

of course analysts being analysts they extrapolate last years numbers and i suspect mgt say it was their brilliance not an over heated mkt, imo

f404f0d729f356227fb9b8b5aa9e0c92e10dc6.png

Mujo
3 months ago

100% agree, we do need to read through the vested interests in all that we read and managemetn aren't going to make themselves look bad and will tkae every opportunity for themeselves to look good.

Timocracy
3 months ago

@Solvetheriddle I read that and first thing that came to mind was to see how much traffic google gets from developing countries. The only chart I could find was for desktop searches which makes sense because I daresay Western nations have more desktop computers...

df5635048c207a57e78f9e0499355ffa946648.png

Bearing in mind I have no way of easily and quickly verifying these statistics, when you include mobile searches India is shown to be a leader and would be a recent growth category. Not saying it accounts for a jump in average yearly growth from 15% to 43% but could make a difference!

5d6780f4110168215ea74dbd0da3a2ea44a82a.png

Solvetheriddle
3 months ago

@tbra97 some movement 1% due to India. btw note India has banned tik tok. if US ever bans TT buy GOOGL and Meta straight away imo

a590c2f6aa6e7945ba77018f4940dd3a38ca5c.png