Forum Topics IPG IPG Ipg general discussion
AUROPAL
one year ago

These guys are the largest partner in Australia of the multinational company I work for and we’re their largest supplier.

I’ll add more later but something to be careful of is that they have made a lot of acquisitions. The original IPD group, mainly an electrification distributor, has recently and just before IPO bought up several of our other partners to expand their offering into new verticals.

it’s not bad per se but acquisitions always bring risk.

Vandelay
2 years ago

Hi @edgescape . Just thought Id respond to your latest straw on IPG.

You are questioning why not many straws or votes for IPG on strawman. Im guessing its because the company has only been listed for less than a year and probably not on everyones radar. Also, a lot of people like to wait and see how company performs as a listed entity for a while before diving in.

I dont know the company well and definitely not as well as you. However, some early observations or question marks for me:-

Most companies try and put out beatable guidance in IPO materials so they can look strong within their first year or so, which IPG have done. So, its hard to hold too much stock against their big beats yet, but great signs.

In IPG market releases and updates they love to tout themselves as a leverage into the EV space, which im sure they are. But are they just pandering to the markets hottest most loved sector at the moment?

Is it really an EV play? Or is that just a small part of their business compared to a mainly cyclical play into the construction material supply business? If thats the case then are we just looking at a electrical parts supply company that should trade on multiples in line with that industry?

Does IPG have a discernable moat? Can someone else start supplying similar products and undercut? Construction supply companies generally operate in very competitive spaces.

How much organic growth is available? Will it be mainly acquisitive growth?

edgescape
2 years ago

Hi @Vandelay

Thanks for the reply. These are all valid points and would explain a few things. I didn't mean to offend anyone by using CGS and AHC as comparison.

To be honest I only came across their IPO prospectus early this year and their trading update and liked what I saw.

IPD Group has had a long history as a private company before listing in a similar vein to Codan. So their is already a big backstory and a long reputation of service delivery before listing. That is enough reassurance from me and can already be seen as a moat in some ways as they can build on past experiences with other customers and use that as a template for creating future business. And going by the latest report, they seem to be executing this.

Now maybe a new entrant can disrupt that process but this may be hard unless that new company had the same track record and could attract the same talent and skills to achieve their goals. There's probably a great deal of training and certification needed to for all the electrical systems they supply and implement as well.

In addition, the company seems to be diversified enough and not just concentrating on EV decarbonisation area.

I haven't looked hard enough for other competitors in this space and hoping someone else can. Unlike software companies, these industrial services companies are harder to analyse from competitive standpoint.

I think I would start to change my view if maybe they did an acquisition that didn't quite align with the company values. there is news of a new entrant or a customer wasn't happy. But I haven't found anything like this so far here.

Of course the big question is how long will this EV/decarbonisation tailwind last for IPD group? I'll give it a year before others try and catch on.

Vandelay
2 years ago

I wouldnt be worried about others not noticing the company. If you identify a great business that others ignore, it only offers you more opportunity. As long as you're right and the company keeps performing year after year, then the market will eventually take notice. Patience is an attribute of the successful investor.

edgescape
2 years ago

I will probably wait for a pullback before add more. The hockey stick run is a bit worry for me.

edgescape
one year ago

Confirming your point on acquisitions, they had been a bit busy before the IPO. Does look a bit like a "roll-up" similar to UWL. Can understand the skepticism and I was aware of this also.

However the fact that senior management bought on market earlier in the year was enough reassurance for me to put some money in despite my skepticism.

Anyway the share price has powered on. I didn't buy any on the pullback because 2.40 just was not "low enough" and I was waiting for 2.35. However I was told there was a big block order at 2.35 before the share price broke out to new highs. And that was at the time the livewire article appeared.

I'm too scared to buy at this price and the holding has become large. This run has been phenomenal. Just a hold for me till the next update.

ecb59fe7f198fdc9910ed412ed351893f7f9b9.png