Forum Topics N00b question
Bushmanpat
one year ago

Another, maybe more technical, noob question.

I lodged a trade request last night. As it was out of hours, I have to set limit rather than at market. I very rarely have time to look at these things during market hours, so set limit it is.

Anyway, order was for 1000 shares. I added a bit to the current market price for a slightly higher opening but didn't add enough because at 10.01 I got a trade for 1 share, then no more as the price jumped 3.5% and closed up 1.8%. So at the end of the day, I get a trade confirmation for 1 share at $3.92 with $20 brokerage. The order is still open for the other 999. Does the brokerage get charged at the end of each day regardless of the quantum of the order filled that day? Could I get a trade tomorrow for 300 shares if the price briefly touches my limit, get charged another $20 with 699 still to go or is the remainder already covered by what I paid today?

occy
one year ago

You won't be charged brokerage again as any further purchases are under your initial order. The only question is how far out did you make your trade valid for? Just don't let the trade expire (you can move the date out with no issue or expense if it is getting close) because if you do you will need to place another order which will then charge you brokerage again.

Bushmanpat
one year ago

That's the response I was hoping for. Thanks Occy. Still trying to get my head around how to set limit depending on volatility, share liquidity etc. That's why I'm here. To learn from the best and hopefully be the one able to give good advice soon.

Bear77
one year ago

@occy is correct @Bushmanpat however there is one caveat, which is when you are using a broker with a tiered brokerage fee system such as Commsec you might be charged more. So if you're using Selfwealth or anyone else who charges you the same amount (a flat fee) for every trade regardless of the trade value then you won't be charged any further brokerage as long as your trade does not expire (remains valid in the system) exactly as @occy said, however if you're using Commsec or someone who charges a range of different brokerage fees depending on the value of each trade, then you could be charged more if the total of your order exceeds the range for which they charge $20 (i.e. what they've already charged you).

I use both Commsec and Selfwealth, so I'll give you a Commsec example. If I placed a trade to buy 1,000 FMG @ $20.45 each, and got just one share today, they would charge me $10 brokerage (their fee for trades up to $1,000 for customers who use a CDIA account for settlement - a Commonwealth Direct Investment Account - so their preferred customer brokerage fee). If another 47 of those shares got bought tomorrow on the same order, which is still open and in the market, I wouldn't get charged any more at that point because the total of my order (48 x $20.45) has not exceeded that $1,000 limit that qualifies me for that low $10 brokerage fee. However if instead 50 shares went through tomorrow (instead of 47), they would charge me another $9.95, because their brokerage fee for me for trades between $1,000 and $10,000 is $19.95, and I've already paid the $10, so I'd get charged the difference ($19.95 - $10 = $9.95). If the entire order got filled tomorrow, that would come to $20,450 (1,000 x $20.45) and their charge for that would be $29.95, less the $10 I've already paid today, so I'd be charged another $19.95 to make the fee up to the $29.95 brokerage fee that they charge for orders over $10K and up to $25K - see here: https://www.commsec.com.au/support/rates-and-fees.html

So, you'll always get credit for any fees you've already paid, but you may have to pay more if the total of the trade moves it up into a higher fee category.

Just remember to ensure that the order doesn't expire - make sure the expiry date is extended preferably for a month, and you might have to extend it again if the order hasn't been filled within the first 3 weeks. You can edit the price and the order expiry date at no cost. The only time you are charged is when actual trading occurs, i.e. when actual shares are traded, not when you place an order or modify an order.

Short answer is that if you use a flat fee broker, you won't have to pay any more brokerage, but if you are using a tiered brokerage fee broker (whose brokerage fees depend on the amount of the trade in dollars), then you may have to pay more, as I've explained. Hope that helps.

Slideup
one year ago

@Bushmanpat $20 for brokerage is a lot to be paying for trades. No worries if your happy with the broker your using but if you want something cheaper it could be worth looking into one of the lower cost platforms. I have been using Stake for a while now and they do $3 brokerage for trdes up to $30K. The platform itself isn't the best for doing research but for executing trades it is easy enough to use. I generally just have Commsec (my first broker) that I use to do the everyday details like price movements and share annoucements etc. and then put the trade through on stake.

I find with $3 a trade I am more likely to pyramid into positions, whereas when I was paying $15-20 I wold more often do one bigger trade to get set, which isn't always the best way, especially in higher volitility markets that we currently have.

Bushmanpat
2 years ago

I'm getting my head around most of the acronyms used in the financial circles but one that's got me buggered is PCP.

It's used quite a lot but google/investopedia hasn't really been very helpful so hoping the strawpeople can educate me.

Edit: I think I've found it. Previous corresponding period. I thought it was previous something but couldn't get the rest.

Investopedia says Participating convertible preference share which didn't make sense.

Jimmy
2 years ago

Previous Corresponding Period

reddogaustin
2 years ago

Moot point, @Jimmy has it covered... but I thought it was prior not previous?

Bear77
2 years ago

I think it can be either prior or previous. An example would be if a company was providing a quarterly report for the September quarter which was their Q1 of FY23, the PCP would be Q1 of FY22, so the September quarter of the previous financial year. Companies often refer to PCPs rather than the period directly before the period being reported on (which in that example would have been Q4 of FY21) due to seasonality of revenue. Some companies have more sales in some quarters than others, every year, or most years, or might usually have a stronger second half than their first half, for example, so they would prefer you to compare the period they are reporting on with the same period in the previous year because it's more apples vs apples rather than apples vs oranges.

Timocracy
2 years ago

I feel like PCP is a substance that Joe Rogan would promote...