Forum Topics REITs
Mujo
2 years ago

Ridiculous REIT discounts put real estate teams up pecking order

(AFR)

It’s 13-months since the gods of Australia’s commercial property scene warned big super was coming for the sector - and finally the message seems to be gathering some momentum outside of the real estate scene.

Bankers are running around with charts showing ridiculous trading at mainstay players like Dexus, GPT Group and a bunch of Charter Hall-run listed funds, which cannot shake their hefty discounts to net tangible asset backing.

Office towers delivered a negative 1.5 per cent return in the December quarter. Louie Douvis

The charts, which started on real estate bankers and investors’ desks, are now topical outside of the property fishbowl, with generalist M&A bankers talking about usually forgotten-about real estate sector as they try to build 2023 deal pipelines.

If it is discounts that will draw the buyers, then office and retail property is the logical place to start. There’s a clear disconnect between equity markets’ expectations of where property values (and rents) are headed, and that of managers and their independent valuers, which has created what looks like ridiculous-sized discounts.

The other way to look at it is the passive rent collectors - the likes of Dexus, GPT, Charter Hall Retail REIT, Vicinity and Scentre, who are trading at an average 25 per cent discount to NTA.

<iframe class="ql-video ql-align-center" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" src="https://ced6012eedd9111ceddabf86610e8817.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-40/html/container.html" height="90" width="728"></iframe>

Advertisement

Unfortunately for REIT investors, the situation’s not new. The discounts started when COVID-19 hit and fears spread about the ability of retail landlords to collect rent and the future of offices.

However, unlike most other listed equity markets sectors, the REITs never really bounced back. As reporting seasons roll by, listed equity investors expect to see managers slash property values, only for the valuations to stay the same or go up. Bond yields are also a big factor.

Bankers have been planting the buyout ideas in potential buyers’ minds for a few years. The main target is the country’s big and yield-hungry industry super funds, who could form a consortium and snap up big swathes of long-life properties, and fund managers like Blackstone and KKR who have huge real estate portfolios globally.

So far there’s no big bites; the conservative industry funds have their own reservations about the property sector, while the likes of Blackstone and KKR need strong (and cheap) funding markets to make big acquisitions stack up.

Still, the fact the topic’s on M&A bankers’ lips bodes well for the property gods, who have struggled to get their message out to the general investor community. It also bodes well for real estate teams, who could get a bit more love inside investment banks this year.

Do you have any idea how you would go about working out whether these NTA values are realistic given the volatility in property prices in the last 3 years?

I feel like the big risk in REIT's or real estate companies is property devaluation and (Possibly, I have no idea, debt/liquidity issues), but have no idea how you would go about researching this.

Mujo
2 years ago

I think you have to look at individual REITs to work it out. Look for how much of the portfolio has been revalued (Waypoint recently revalued down a lot of their portfolio over the concern so NTA is a bit more reasonable) and others you will need to make some guesstimates.

You can see b some cap rates and the implied from current valuations in the table below from Macquarie. I think you have to accept cap rates are going up (valuations coming down) and work out whether that it is more than in the price. Or just look from a yield perspective given the quality of the portfolio.

There are some positive signs Centuria Office REIT had a good market reaction to their results today up 8%.

0213a6317485f3097c5fb4bb81c268e916b492.png

Mujo
2 years ago

Nothing new but a good overview of what is happening in REITs globally - Resolution-Capital-Global-Property-Securities-Fund-Managed-Fund-Quarterly-Report.pdf (rescap.com)

Quote:

"Owners of older offices are ongoing sellers to shift to ABO (Anything But Office)." - anything but office as expected is the most challenged area - could be some interesting investments here in future.

The principals of Real Estate Investing 101 remain as important as ever in this environment. One, invest in companies with visible internal growth where tenant demand is growing. Two, defend against competition by being ever vigilant against the threats of new supply. Three, leverage is never a true friend. Reduce the risk that the equity investor is impaired by investing in companies with limited debt that is well structured and more readily financeable. We believe by and large the Portfolio embodies these tenets which should hold it in good stead for more challenging operating conditions.

As we peer into 2023, listed REITs prices currently reflect a lot of bad news. Many REITs trade at significant discounts both to NAV and to replacement costs. We believe listed REITs represent good value relative to direct real estate, much of which may see private funds grapple with pressing liquidity needs. Cash flow matters, and earnings for listed REITs are expected to grow 5-7%, which is comfortably above long-term inflation forecasts. 

If there is anyone out there who is interested in the more boring stuff, I've written a quick piece on how I go about valuing REITs and what to watch out for when financial metrics are being reported.

I take an interest in REITs because I find that there are less moving parts than a typical business and property is an area that I have a good insight into because I work in the industry.

A valuation metric which is often referenced with REITs is NTA (Net Tangible Assets). The problem with NTA is that it is backward looking. To elaborate, independent valuations are typically carried out every 12 months and these valuations are based on transactions which have occurred in the months leading up to the valuation. Even if the NTA did reflect the current value of the underlying assets, the REITs can only realise these carrying values and return cash to unitholders if they sell the whole portfolio or receive a takeover bid. 

Using COF’s current discount to NTA (circa 30%) as an example, COF shareholders would be served well if some assets could be divested at or above book value and used to reduce debt or buy back units whilst waiting for new opportunities to present themselves at more attractive valuations. The reasons this might not happen are:

1) Management is generally incentivised to maximise GAV (gross asset value) because they get more management fees. Reducing debt will decrease GAV.

2) Management is worried that book value of the assets would not hold up in an open market.

Another commonly used valuation metric is FFO per unit (funds from operations). FFO per unit is useful however it needs to be interpreted carefully as it is often reported based on weighted average units on issue. This means that you need to consider recent capital raisings when making assumptions about FFO per unit growth and the resultant cash flows. FFO per unit also covers up some costs that typically get capitalised such as tenant incentives, maintenance capex and other costs associated with the leasing of properties. The aforementioned costs are however incorporated into a metric called AFFO per unit which is defined by the Property Council of Australia. There are a few REITs which report this metric , but it is not commonplace from what I have observed.

I go about valuing REITs in the same way that a lot of professional investors go about valuing any business, by doing a DCF. As always, it’s important to note that DCF’s are prone to all sorts of pitfalls and are extremely sensitive to inputs. I take the attitude that it’s better to be approximately right than precisely wrong.

When forecasting cash flows, it's important to understand whether the REIT is solely focused on investing in property to generate revenue or if the REIT also operates a funds management business. I find that the cash flows of REITs with a funds management business component are more difficult to forecast, and for this reason the following will focus on valuing the property component.

It’s also important to understand which cash flows you should be forecasting. In my opinion it is more worthwhile focusing on what cash flows you will receive as a passive investor, as opposed to what cash flows the REIT itself will generate. These can differ depending on the capital allocation decisions that management makes. For example if management decides to retain a portion of cash flows to reinvest in more property, and those investments turn out to be duds, then knowing what the free cash flow of the REIT itself is kind of pointless. 

To forecast cash flows to you as a passive investor I think it’s worth considering the following factors:

1. Net operating Income (NOI). NOI is the net income of the REIT solely at the property level. All else being equal this is a somewhat easy forecast because of the way commercial leases are structured. Tenants are usually responsible for property outgoings and their rent increases annually by a predetermined amount the term of the lease.
  2. Interest expenses. 
  3. Non property level expenses - management fees, sale fees, acquisition fees, development fees etc.
  4. Maintenance Capex. How much ongoing expenditure is required to maintain assets and attract new tenants?
  5. Once 2,3 & 4 above have been deducted from 1, you have a number r which will be close to AFFO. Now we need to decide how much will management likely pay as a distribution to investors.
  6. Will the number of units on issue change? I.e will management try to raise capital or begin a buyback? This will impact distributions per unit.
  7. What is the likelihood of property acquisitions or divestments and what impact this could have on the metrics listed above?
  8. Is there a chance of the REIT receiving a takeover offer or taking a significant capital acquisition? I.e partial portfolio sale, special distribution etc. This can influence terminal values or materially alter your modelling.

There are obviously reporting metrics which help me drill down on the above factors which I will not elaborate on for the sake of brevity. The main message I wanted to portray is that FFO & NTA do not always paint the clearest picture of valuation when it comes to REITS. 

shadow
2 years ago

Thank you for the fabulous write up @PeregrineCapital.

As a long term holder of various REITS I'm curious to know if you also consider WALE (weighted average lease expiry) in your decision?

Hi Shadow,

I do look at WALE and WARR (weighted average rent review) to help form a view on NOI and maintenance capex (things like lease incentives).

I would say that WALE is a little bit overrated as a metric, it's important to an extent but it's only a small piece of the puzzle, especially when it comes to the large, diversified portfolios that most REITs have.

There are scenarios where a long WALE actually works against an asset. For example some industrial properties are locked into long term leases at rents that are now well below market. This impacts the assets value negatively.

There's also the question of credit and releasing risk. There's no point getting excited about a WALE of 10 years if the tenant is going to go broke 3 years into the lease and the property proves difficult to release (think certain petrol stations, medical or agricultural properties).

Also watch out for "WALE" washing. Some REITs will report increased WALEs but not disclose what portion of that increase is due to new properties acquired during year as opposed to strong leasing outcomes.

Mujo
2 years ago

For those unaware there is a lot of talk around the divergence in value of unlisted property funds and their listed counterparts (REITs) following a -20% last year for REITs and up to a +20% in unlisted property funds. The gap was so large that APRA is investigating especially the marks in industry super funds - Australian property funds in super: APRA raises alarm on performance gap between listed and unlisted funds (afr.com). People applying/withdrawing at stale prices.

I believe it was listed funds reacting to the increased risk-free rates and somewhat bizarrely unlisted funds shrinking cap rates further. The issue is front page news in the UK following the gating of the Blackstone Property Fund About that $4bn BREIT deal | Financial Times (ft.com) which now spread to others UK property funds facing curbs on withdrawals reach $17.8 billion | Reuters as people rush to withdraw.

Macquarie says:

The Macquarie Macro Strategy Team expect the US to enter recession in 1H23, with the AU economy also forecast to slow. REITs are typically one of the worst performers in the early phase of a recession, and as a result it is difficult to be more constructive in the initial stages of the year. While bond yields are expected to fall into a recession, we anticipate a tightening of credit markets will be a catalyst for a reset in asset values, a reduction in development pipelines and an increased focus on capital recycling. Therefore, we favour defensive names to begin CY23.

Expect better performance in 2H23 driven by shift in rate cycle Positively, as the cycle progresses and central banks ease (which is the base case in the US during 2H23), REITs typically outperform. With the sector trading at a 24% discount to NTA, this implies cap rates will expand by ~100bps (ex. cashflow offsets). While this may reflect spot conditions (i.e., current real rates), if we look beyond the near-term risks to the downside, the top-down environment for real assets should improve (e.g., CB’s easing, softer 10-year yield and improving credit markets). As a result, current REIT pricing could prove pessimistic when looking beyond the volatility, providing opportunities for listed investors and M&A when looking through the current cycle. As a result, we would be opportunistic through the year and upweighting to more cyclical exposures on weakness. 

For my part I think the valuations are probably somewhere in between, meaning unlisted needs to go down and REITs should rise (albeit NTAs will come down) or risk being taken over. From a top-down perspective as shown in the asset class returns, I posted before REITs look interesting on a 3-year outlook - after being the worst performing asset class last calendar year. Some have said that some will need to raise capital due to unhedged interest rate debt and overleverage.

Anyway, what do others think. What REITs or subsectors do people think are most interesting? Best way to play it through an ETF? a fund? a basket? Disagree and think further downside ahead?

@PeregrineCapital said it is a bit more boring sector of the market, but looking at past returns REITs seem to be very volatile which of course creates some good opportunities.

@Mujo actually im surprised at some of these comments, being that REITs have performed poorly and are expected to do so. to me they have been steady esp when add back the high yield. im a seller of reits here but not because they are poor investments (future or past) but i feel we are entering the period of the market (2023) when you should be prepared to add risk to your equity exposure and that to me doesnt mean reits. therefore i have sold down my WPR, HPI and looking at selling CLW and GPT, all these have done ok in a bear market where a lot of growth stocks have halved etc esp o/s. if we have a decent break in the market, which is a real chance at some stage this year i will go more risk on ie will buy growth not reits. thats my view could be wrong

Hi Mujo,

I think that the listed market is approximately right and that the unlisted market is in for some very big revaluations.

With the marginal cost of interest for REITs probably now in excess of 5%, there is simply no way that current book values hold up in the medium term.

Sooner or later the tide will come out (forced selling) and we will see who is swimming naked.

If you are buying REITs on the basis of the discount to NTA, don't.

Low leverage and good management are the way to go.

Remorhaz
2 years ago

Chris Joye has been calling this out for some months now - e.g. this in the AFR: Alarm bells ring for commercial property

Back in Nov he commented:

One of the fascinating dynamics in the transition to this new normal where the search for yield is dead is that many asset classes – and the investors who populate them – have yet to face up to the reality of risk-free government bonds paying annual interest rates of 4-5 per cent. Given the Reserve Bank of Australia’s cash rate will likely be around 3.5 per cent in a few months, government-guaranteed bank deposits will be offering similar returns.

Anything riskier than Aussie government debt has to beat that 4-5 per cent yield hurdle – and by a very handsome margin because these bonds are perfectly liquid and risk-free! Put differently, you need to receive extra return compensation for both the additional credit (or capital loss) risk and illiquidity risk. The saying used to go that “there is no alternative” (TINA) to chasing risk. Today there are many risk-free or low-risk alternatives.

A classic example is commercial property. A recent speech from the Reserve Bank of Australia’s Jonathan Kearns highlighted that while 10-year Australian government bond yields had jumped from 1 per cent to 4 per cent, the expected yield on office, retail and industrial commercial property had hardly moved.

This has meant that the return premium you get on commercial property above the risk-free interest rate on government bonds has dropped to its lowest levels on record. Historically, commercial property has paid a 4-5 per cent annual extra yield above Commonwealth government rates. That has recently slumped to 2 per cent or less, signalling that commercial property yields will have to rise sharply.

The only way that will happen is if their values fall sharply, which is what normally occurs in every recession. In fact, there is a reason banks don’t normally lend much to commercial property owners or residential developers: the regulator does not like them doing so because these sectors have been the single biggest bank killers over the last 150 years. ANZ and Westpac almost went bust because of their commercial property exposures in the 1991 recession. The difficulty of accessing bank finance has meant commercial property and residential development owners have had to borrow from non-bank lenders, which will now have to carry this can.

More recently in an interview with Tom Piotrowski of CommSec Chris mentioned something to the effect that unlisted property funds and holders were desperately trying to not value or sell their property assets in the hope that things might turn around before they have to revalue them

Timocracy
2 years ago

The one consideration I like to reinforce is that it's so hard to tell when the market has "priced in" the expectations. Sure, a lot of the REITs have fallen in anticipation of lower asset valuations, higher interest costs, and then some outlook but it seems as though every bloody news article or lower NTA has a tug to the downside and wondering how to tell when that will stop.

It's like the exact opposite scenario of the Qantas SP recovering 12 months before travel even opened up.

Mujo
2 years ago

Thanks all, appreciate the views.

Mujo
2 years ago

Some REIT managers/brokers talking their own book of course but the bull view - Real estate investment: top property stocks tipped to deliver 15pc or more after a year of pain (afr.com)

• The S&P/ASX A-REIT 200 index is already up 6.2 per cent this year, nudging ahead of the broader equities market. Last year, the top property stocks slumped 20.5 per cent, underperforming the general market by 19.4 per cent.
  • With much of the pain priced into property already, and with the rate rising cycle expected to ease by mid-year, analysts are tipping strong gains in the sector, notwithstanding economic uncertainty.
  • “We ... expect a challenging macro backdrop and fundamentals, but A-REITs to outperform in the second half of calendar 2023 as the market gets clarity on rates stabilising, despite an expected economic slowdown,” Jefferies analysts Sholto Maconochie and Ronny Cheung wrote in a client note.
  • The stabilising of rates could lead into a “risk on” rally, which would be good news for fund managers such as Charter Hall and HMC Capital, which are likely to outperform. It could also spell danger for mispriced REITs, which would be vulnerable to takeovers, the analysts said.
  • “Alternative A-REITs, non-discretionary retail, industrial, and those with strong balance sheets and/or CPI-linked leases should perform well in 2023,” they wrote

“Our least favoured sectors are office, [residential] and discretionary retail. We expect A-REITs to deliver 11 to 15 per cent total return, inclusive of 4.2 per cent yield.”

Some property stocks could deliver even more, according to Jefferies, such as Charter Hall Retail REIT with a 17 per cent total return forecast because of the CPI-linked leases in its malls portfolio. HomeCo Daily Needs REIT could generate similar-sized returns, backed by the resilience of non-discretionary retail shopping.

Barrenjoey analysts led by Ben Brayshaw are forecasting a 12.5 per cent upside to the price targets in their top stocks, with a 5.8 per cent dividend yield on top of that.

Diversified player Mirvac, along with Charter Hall and office landlord and fund manager Dexus, are Barrenjoey’s top picks among the larger REITs.

“Thematically, the commercial real estate cycle has turned, but demand for high-quality assets has not gone from the market,” the Barrenjoey analysts wrote.

“Fundamentals for some sectors are the best they have been for several years, and we continue to see the local market as favourable versus offshore.

“Based on our revised price targets, prospective returns for REITs continue to be as attractive as we can remember.”