Forum Topics ENA ENA Kobo car insurance
Slideup
one year ago

@Mujo I think this looks like an interesting option they have taken. It would be good to know what we are getting for the $1.5M, in the announcment it just says a simple agreement for future equity. They are also now distributors of this insurance so if it sells well they will recoup that investment over time.

Kobo insurance itself looks pretty interesting and is targeted at people who have a newish car that don't drive that much. They only do comprehensive insurance. From what I can tell this is the first real car insurance option that lets you pay what you use. I think there was another company doing something similiar a few years ago but they were just a blanket <5000km>

Anyway I did a quote for my car which I leave in the driveway most days as I either work from home or ride to work. The quote for me came out to be around $100/yr cheaper than my suncorp cpomprehensive insurance that I currently have. The breakdown was a fixed cost of $287 for insurance and then a 2.7c/km use fee (I think this rate goes down if you drive greater distances but not certain), which I estimated would be 3000 km/yr ($87), but this is a pay as you go component and is calulated and charged monthyl.

I don't think people will have a problem plugging a dongle into their on-board diagnostic port as this isn't used for anything else, this dongle is the innovative bit as it using the on-board computer to determine kilometers traveled and then talks to a app on your smartphone. I would imagine it could also have access to other driving data e.g speed rate, braking rates etc, I'm not exactly sure what the onboard computer monitors but any potential to collect data on the actual driving behaviour of the person could enable them to tailor the policy risk level over time. I will seriously think about switching to Kobo when my premium is due later this year.

I am pretty comfortable backing Tom Kents capital allocation decisions and after looking at the Kobo website and reviews I am actually pretty optimistic that this $1.5m investment will pay off for Ensurance.

Mujo
one year ago

Thanks @Slideup good to know it is a good product and has a market niche. It does seem like a move away for underwriting though unless I've misunderstood the deal.

I do like Tom and he has his money on the line too so happy to see how it plays out. At the end of the day it is not a big amount at considering the funds from the sale of the UK operations.

Slideup
one year ago

Yeah, @Mujo I think your right it is more of an equity investment and distributor deal, that is probably more an adjacent option rather than building their core buisiness. From the Kobo website they are currently underwritten by Eric, not sure if this may change into the future or whether you can have multiple underwriters.

From the announcment it wasn't really clear what exactly the deal was but I am sure we will find out more over the next few months.

Mujo
one year ago

A bit more detail:

"Ensurance’s investment will convert into Koba shares upon pre-agreed milestones." - Ensurance invests in Koba, CEO joins the board - Insurtech - Insurance News - insuranceNEWS.com.au

wtsimis
one year ago

Further positive developments for ENA in the investment in Kobo and agree with earlier comments re the positive capital allocation skills of Tom Kent.

The investment of 1.5m is over two years with clear milestones so presents as a low risk outcome but a risk nonetheless.

No doubt the valuation Kobo presents in todays climate has been a significant reason to the investment in conjunction with the new market it opens up and although outside core field may present at better long term value for shareholders than the high multiples being demanded in the current insurance sector.

Alot of water to pass under the bridge with this investment.

The weakness in share price to 20c presented another opportunity to top up and happy to add at these levels.

Disc Held in RL and SM