Forum Topics JIN JIN Macquarie Investor preso

Pinned straw:

Added 12 months ago

Jumbo's latest slide deck shows that there have been only 11 large jackpots (>$15m) so far in the second half (through to the end of April), and with a lower aggregate size. If you pro-rata the current half, the total aggregate jackpot size comes in at around half the previous second half.

We could see some bigger jackpots in the remaining couple of months (and statistically you'd probably expect that), but given where we are, and how highly ticket sales correlate with jackpot size, it'll be hard to get a good comp for the current half revenue wise.

Of course, this is just the nature of the industry and doesn't hold much relevance to business execution, but it is something to be mindful of.

Cost growth is expected to be in the range of 16-18% as the company continues to invest, but this is down from the previous year's 33% lift, and the underlying operating margin is now expected to come in at the higher end of the original guidance range of 48-50%.

Powerball (which accounts for over half their TTV) is increasing the ticket price by 10c, the first price increase in 5 years. But Jumbo is adding a further 10c to ticket prices. Given the price rise should also lead to more frequent large jackpots, it *should* be a net positive for Jumbo. In fact, on a pro-forma basis, this is expected to drive operating margins from 44% to around 50% from Fy22 to FY23

One small point, the company still has a buy back allotment of $25m, which only 10% or so has been used at an average price of $12.58 (current price $12.71, so maybe that's an area you could see at least some support.

All told, this business is a bit of a cash cow with good secular tailwinds and one that (at least historically) has proven to be very recession proof.

Disc. Held

Jimmy
12 months ago

Further to your comments @Strawman regarding diminishing jackpots Carl Capolingua on Ausbiz a week or two back mentioned that the amount of lottery jackpots has been "adjusted" via a change in algorithms to decrease the number of jackpots but substantially increase the amount that's on offer when a jackpot occurs. There is a term for this however my memory has let me down so can't recall however he mentioned that increased ticket sales goes hand in hand with increases in jackpot size...apparently to a greater extent than if there were "regular jackpots" as fewer jackpots significantly increase interest.

What struck me though was the fact that an algo determines the numbers drawn to favour the least pick number combinations as I always thought it was completely random.

Strawman
12 months ago

Really? Surely the draw itself is completely random -- I mean, don't they actually televise it? Maybe he was referring to another aspect of how jackpots are structured?

Jimmy
12 months ago

My thoughts mirror yours however that was to the best of my recollection which doesn't automatically translate to "100% accurate" however I can't see how else you could influence the number and size of jackpots?

This is a little beyond me and as I'm sure there're are a bunch of smarter people here than me perhaps they could enlighten us?

Wini
12 months ago

The balls are drawn randomly, but the structure of the jackpot itself can change. The last change was made in 2018 from memory, created more winners overall at lower levels but less jackpot winners:

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/powerball-creating-bigger-jackpots-paying-winners-more-often-tabcorp-20190430-p51ik7.html