Forum Topics IPD IPD What is it?

Pinned straw:

Added 10 months ago

• Founded* and headquartered in Brisbane, Australia with US and European operations, ImpediMed is a medical software technology company that non-invasively measures, monitors and manages fluid status and tissue composition using bioimpedance spectroscopy (BIS)

• ImpediMed produces a family of FDA cleared and CE Marked medical devices, including SOZO® for multiple indications including heart failure, lymphoedema, and protein calorie malnutrition, sold in select markets globally

• Using ImpediMed’s BIS technology, SOZO measures 256 unique data points over a wide spectrum of frequencies from 3 kHz to 1000 kHz. Results are available immediately online for easy data access and sharing across an entire healthcare system. The FDA-cleared, CE-marked and ARTG-listed digital health platform aids in the early detection of secondary lymphoedema, provides fluid status for patients living with heart or renal failure, and can be used to monitor and maintain overall health – all on a single device

• The 1 device has multiple applications (lymphoedema, heart failure, end stage renal disease, body composition etc).

• The SaaS model and product has ~90% gross margins and a churn rate less than 2%. The product is scalable, whereby users can add and move test locations without any additional software setup

* Listed on the ASX in October 2007

mikebrisy
10 months ago

I’ll declare upfront that I don’t know much in depth about the medical conditions involved here, but anecdotally from personal experience with aging relatives and friends, I know that the managing of renal and heart failure is a massive issue. Drugs are well established for managing these conditions for many years, however, patient outcomes can vary hugely depending on how well the patient condition is monitored and the dosing regime adjusted. If $IPD’s tech helps there the potential huge size of the market makes it very interesting. So, it is now on my reading list to learn more.

$IPD looks well-priced/expensive at the moment, but it is very early days in its revenue growth journey. They’ve been able to achieve some decent revenue with a small team, and it will be interesting to see what momentum follows with the expanded team following the cap raise.

@TEPCapital thank you for putting this on the radar. You are one of the great StrawPeople for flagging promising early stage opportunities, and I always read your work carefully.

Disc. Not held

TEPCapital
10 months ago

Thank you, @mikebrisy, appreciate the kind words - although I'll be the first to admit that my personal small-cap portfolio has suffered in recent months!! I'll be working hard to get my portfolio returns back above double-digit p.a. returns (and hopefully am set for a bounce with PVL). Also, I'm increasingly focused on global equities (which is not captured here on Strawman).

Having only taken a preliminary look so far, I think Impedimed is a terrific business. The key moat is a combination of regulatory (NCCN guidelines), product-led and first-mover advantages. Importantly, the Impedimed product set is becoming the de-facto standard of care for a range of medical diagnoses/conditions/situations and the reimbursement pathways are accelerating Impedimed’s first mover advantage. Also, SOZO is the only FDA cleared BIS device for Lymphoedema.

However, in my view, the valuation remains the key risk to a medium term investment, with the market pricing flawless execution from here, with the stock trading on a ~30x FY22 revenue multiple. Also, branching into cardiac and renal too quickly could result in costly trials before the business is profitable. Additionally, there is a reasonable cost to produce the device at scale, which will lead to working capital and new machinery for production. This coupled with the lack of consistent profitability poses the question of ongoing dilution and further capital raises over time.

Will do some more work on this.