Forum Topics DSE DSE Q2 FY23 Report

Pinned straw:

Added 10 months ago

Just off the $DSE call.

CEO Charif El-Ansari stated up front that they'd received a lot of investor questions following the $MSFT Inspire Partner Conference and that he'd address those questions at the end of the presentation before moving to Q&A.

The main body of the presentation tracked per the slides with nothing exceptional,other than a remark about continued churn of about 15,000 seats of a low ARPU legacy customer/partner, who still has an undefined number of users to "offboard". It doesn't sound material, although there was a reference to it slightly flattening the receipts growth curve. (Every little helps!)

To $MSFT

Charif made clear that this has been in the public domain for around 18 months, although it is being given profile at this year's partner conference because Syntex is being showcased. Syntex facilitates extraction of data from $MSFT products for use by AI, and 365 Backup is linked to that.

He stated that he does not consider that 365 Backup impacts the core proposition of $DSE. This is because 365 Backup still uses $MSFT Azure infrastructure, and the distinctive point of $DSE is that it is completely independent of $MSFT, being hosted on AWS.

He made some secondary points including that $DSE is advantaged at a price point of $3/seat versus $5-8/seat for Syntex.

Regarding the ability of partners to also access 365 Backup for their non $MSFT aps and data that connect via $MSFT APIs, this would only be the case if this was done on the Azure platform, so he reiterated the importance of the indepedence of $DSE.

Overall, it was a confident and articulate response dealing with the matter head-on.

Other Items

• Sales and marketing for balance of FY23 to focus on 365, Gov Cloud and QBO products
  • Highlight that these new products have been thoroughly developed with partners and are high ARPU products
  • Expects staff costs in H2FY23 to be below H1FY23
  • Expects solids positive EBITDA and FCF for the Full Year, highlighting the reinvestment of cash into sales and marketing
  • Expect FY margins to be ahead of FY22, and to sustain and improve these over the medium to long term
  • Continues to look at M&A, however, the opportunities to date have been too highly priced and they've not been willing to pay.

The Usual Cash Flow Trends

Herewith my usual CF trends for Quaterly and Trailing Twelve Month (TTM) views.

b39536965ca501612df0734b1f8d2371fdbcaf.png

f743fbc24af27eefb71302a6b24657ff367fd8.png

Update on My Key Takeaways from this morning

It will be interesting to see how the new products drive ARPU, particularly Gov Cloud in the US and QBO backup.

Regarding $MSFT, only time will tell how much stock customers place on having a true independent back up. If the risk you are seeking to avoid is a cyber attack, then as a layman (and not an IT security expert), true independence has some value. I have no way of assessing this further, and ultimately the voice of the customer will decide. I'd imagine some customers might be comfortable with the $MSFT solution on its own, in which case it will be interesting to see if Charif's assertion about the advantaged $DSE price point holds up as a second line of defence in partner marketing and, indeep, if it matters enough to partners. The partner impact is an area that wasn't really explored.

I did - after all that has transpired in the day - increase my RL position to a total of 1%. I'll leave my SM holding where it is, as its already 5.8%, and I usually run at between 3-5 to 1 ratio between SM and RL weightings for most holdings.

Strawman
10 months ago

Really appreciate the summary @mikebrisy -- nicely done.

I posted my previous comment prior to reading your post, but it looks as though Charif has responded in line with my more optimistic take. Of course, he's never going to suggest a dire picture, but he's comments don't strike me us unreasonable.

I'd be keen to hear from anyone who works in the space.

mikebrisy
10 months ago

@Strawman I agree, On reflection what really matters here, I think, is how the MSPs respond. Does it simplify things for them to push an integrated $MSFT offering to the end customers, or do they add more value to their customers by highlighting the benefits of the $DSE independence? Even if they offer both options, all things being equal, which way do they nudge their clients? $/seat for the end user might not sway things if the MSPs can make more money another way. That was perhaps gap in Charif's narrative, so it would be great to be able to get him into the smiling Strawman star chamber ;-)

I know enough small and medium business owners to know that most don't have much of a clue (in truth, like me) about the technicals of data security, and look to the advice of their MSP. It's arguable how much the MSPs really know themselves, sometimes. But I think they are the customers that really matter here.

Any Strawpeople working as MSPs selling IT solutions to small and medium business? Roll-up Roll-up.

Wini
10 months ago

@mikebrisy I think you are hitting the nail on the head here. DSE's customers are not the end users but the MSP's and the value proposition is the incremental margin you can drive to them. I would think if an MSP can upsell an SME client to the branded MSFT offering (with AI overlay?) for a higher ARPU, that is the way they would lean.

I think often the market overreacts initially to news such as this, but this could be one instance the sell off is pretty rational, especially given DSE's valuation prior.

@mikebrisy and @Wini both have excellent points here.

Few points against $DSE:

• Every MSP who sells Dropsuits is most probably also a reseller of Microsoft licenses - essentially MSPs will have to deal with only one vendor
  • Microsoft Syntex will be high cost, but it will have more AI features ( bells and whistles ) that only Microsoft can provide and probably backup will tag along with those features ( If customer wants those feature they can only get single license SKU and backup comes with it - Would they than spend more just so that they get their backup in amazon? - I doubt it)
  • Every end user who is using Office 365 for their email, SharePoint, Onedrive -- they will automatically know that Microsoft provides backup because that tab just gets added into admin center ( Microsoft doesn't need to advertise to their millions of customers -- they see it as they go on to manage these application right in front of their eyes)
  • Microsoft will publish new APIs for other vendors ( all vendors will probably have to spend some development/integration effort to comply with new APIs).
  • Microsoft understands the data structures and controls the APIs to access the data for backup and restore. As such, they should be able to guarantee 100% fidelity when it comes to restoring data. Microsoft control over backup APIs is not necessarily a good thing.
  • Unlike third-party solutions, Microsoft can change the way that their applications work to make their backup and restore technology work better.

There are some positives for $DSE as well: like The Azure subscription could become a potential single point of failure for backup operations.

Above are the fundamental points, If I look at human behavior points, I doubt any fund manager will come gun blazing in the market with their buy orders after this news- if the conviction is high then most probably they will hold it but won't buy more unless $DSE see this thing in couple of years. Risk vs Reward doesn't stack up for me and hence I sold first thing in the morning. Now I will see from the sideline how this thing plays out and then make a call.. If Microsoft syntex product is total flop then I know what to do. - I will probably have to buy at little higher price but that's the path I have taken currently.

mushroompanda
10 months ago

I sold my holdings yesterday. Thanks to @Valueinvestor0909 for the initial post on both here and Twitter that first alerted to me to the new Microsoft product.

From my perspective, it was a black swan event. Never did I fully contemplate that Microsoft would create its own service to backup its own products. Due to the heightened risk, for a company which I consider to be a low-moat business, and still trading at a decent valuation (6x ARR, slight cashflow positive) - I rather sit and watch from the sidelines at this stage. It could very well be a nothing-burger, in which case I’ll have the option of buying back in at a likely premium to today’s price.

Of the advantages Charif highlighted that Dropsuite has over Microsoft’s new product, the cheaper price and being more fully featured are the two that are most compelling. The MSP focus and SMB targeted customer base may be DSE’s biggest protection.

Again @Valueinvestor0909 stated a lot of my concerns. My key concern is once Microsoft 365 Backup is launched, they’ll slowly iterate over time - in terms of both product and marketing - until it becomes a ugly scrap for everyone competing in the space.

Microsoft can do things other competing solutions cannot. They’ve already demoed a couple during the announcement. One, it’s integrated as part of the Microsoft 365 admin dashboard. There’s no setup or configuration required, and is enabled by the click of a few buttons. That’s distribution nobody can compete with. Two, data is backed up pretty much immediately after it’s turned on. There’s no syncing and waiting a day or so for the initial run, even on petabytes of data. That’s because Microsoft controls the underlying infrastructure of the products and can do a bunch of hardware and software wizardry underneath the surface.

I’m also not sold that keeping backups on another cloud vendor (AWS) will be a strong differentiator for Dropsuite going forward. Azure is monstrously big. Just in Australia it’ll have 3 regions by 2024, each region has 3 availability zones, each availability zone is at least a few data centres. They’ll be able to design a very robust and segmented backup solution with the marketing and PR nous to reinforce it. A global wide Azure outage would be catastrophic event, where most business will be scrambling around on why their websites/CRM/ERP/etc are down rather than worrying about restoring email backups.

I’ll be watching with interest to see how this all works out.