Forum Topics DSE DSE Industry/competitors

Pinned straw:

Added 10 months ago

After a lot of consideration last night and this morning I am sad to say I am no longer a Dropsuite shareholder.. I could see this Microsoft product creating a headwind for Dropsuite which negatively impacts their growth and churn. I see that as unlikely, maybe a 25% probability, although it's impossible to know without being a fly on the wall at the offices of their many MSP partners. I said just yesterday morning on HC on a thread about competitive advantages that one of the risks is that partners find convenience in consolidating the number of companies' products they offer (that has always been a risk for Dropsuite and the reason they sought to diversify their partner base), and Microsoft is a major (no doubt the biggest) company their partners sell products of, so consolidation will be attractive. There is also the added benefit of the AI product, which I am sure will be easy for MSPs to market to their customers, if they make a fatter margin selling the Microsoft product, they will be motivated to switch to it for that reason as well.

Considering we are still at a price that was an ATH 2 months ago, and more importantly we are at a valuation which implies a long runway of revenue and profit growth to justify it, even more so since Charif increased staff spending to accelerate growth over the last 12 months, I've taken the opportunity to exit at 29c (IRL) and sit on the sidelines to watch this one play out for a few quarters. I'm counting myself lucky that I made the crazy decision to exit during the AFR hype 2 weeks ago and only re-entered yesterday, as it made the decision to exit psychologically much easier. I can't trade this holding on strawman, because it's become such a big holding for me that I couldn't rebuy it according to the rules of strawman. I'm also not proud of the fact that I have on a few occasions traded my Dropsuite holding, but having held it for 3 years I've become very tuned to the way it trades and I am an unemployed student in Melbourne so it is a decision of either slowly selling some of my holdings to live off or making the odd trade to generate some cash and maintain my holding sizes (or mix of both in reality). And trading Dropsuite has proved quite lucrative. I sold at 33c recently (making it a 3 bagger) then repurchased half yesterday at 28.5c and the other half at 26c buying back a bit more than I held before, and considering it was ~35% of my portfolio (or ~half that if you include my managed fund investment) that was a big deal! Then I sold this morning at 29c making another tidy little profit. This is almost entirely luck though, obviously I had no idea about the Microsoft product coming out and was expecting the quarterly result to be stronger, but the thesis has a rather large hole in it now with this Microsoft risk eventuating.

As I said, I have held Dropsuite for almost 3 years and considered it my favorite investment, one of those rare investments you find on your own, no analyst covers it, you can't find any comments from Claude or Motley Fool, livewire or anything, but you like it, study it, develop conviction over time, build a significant position and then it actually goes well! It's just started to get a lot more coverage, they discussed it multiple times on the Baby Giants podcast (I requested it a long time ago), it's getting a decent following here, it featured in AFR, AusBiz, livewire... things were really just heating up! I am selling for great profits but I am still so sad :(

thunderhead
9 months ago

I am not a shareholder (though I was close), but I get why you are sad about it. Here's to the next!

Claude has reviewed DropSuite beyond just casual comments btw, and still likes the business generally.

Has Microsoft sounded the death knell for the business as an investment, or is there a valuation level at which you will be happy to re-enter @harryd ? Thank you.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@harryd Your point about acquisition is spot on. The problem with M&A is that it muddies the waters. Sometimes it make sense, for example, $WTC adding small "tuck-ins" to increase geography footprint and elements of supply chain IT capability as part of an explicit, clear and long-standing strategy.

But I worry that it can also be used to create a "smoke-screen" in an attempt to compensate for - or even worse to conceal - weakening organic growth. (I know, as I have been an insider and part of those strategic conversations in a previous life!)

Sometimes an acquisition can be truly transformational. Afterall, look at $PME. But more often than not (70% of the time?) it doesn't add value or destroys value (witness $XROs efforts that all had a good story at the time but didn't deliver).

For now, I have decided to hold on to $DSE. I can see the value propostion of a completely independent back-up entity, and some of my more conservative IT-savvy network have confirmed that, while also admitting that it could be argued to be a conservative approach. But if $DSE can be a leading solution in that space, building out applications like QBO Backup etc., then the global niche could still be very interesting. In fact, the narrowing of focus to situations where more conservative or risk averse client sees value could actually help them execute in what is in reality a vast global market. So I can see a silver lining to the cloud. (Pun not intended.)

So I have concluded that how I manage my modest position will be guided by the numbers of delivery, not the movements of the market or the voices of pundits (no disrespect to Claude). And in doing that I accept the risk of holding a wasting position, in the downside case.

I do think that when Charif gets into the smiling @Strawman star chamber, we have a good set of questions that really get inside what the MSPs are thinking. And I mean we need to find a way to cut through the first pass response which will be "this is old news, the industry has known about it for 18 months, the MSPs haven't changed ..." which is what I expect to hear.

But, to the original point, an acquisition at this stage would likely be a "Red Flag and Out" for me, unless there really was a compelling industrial logic (and I mean compelling, and not a $XRO-esque story or even worse heaven forbid at $BTH-type story.) Charift has not yet articulated, to my knowledge, what a stratetic objective an acquisition would achieve.

Wini
9 months ago

@mikebrisy I think you are correct that the core to the DSE thesis would be the on-going relationship with MSP's. I think an important question which I haven't seen answered (if someone knows the answer please let me know!) is the concentration of MSP's.

It's been forgotten by the market but back in 1Q18 DSE lost more than half of their user base when one MSP deactivated for their users:

be3d8ae6b95a3d659fbe71489c43c17467817d.png

It was never disclosed (as best as I could find) that one MSP made up more than half of the business, with DSE reporting they had 145 MSP's at the time.

This event raised some serious questions for me that I'm not sure the company has answered despite what appears to be fantastic execution since.

Solvetheriddle
9 months ago

@Wini thats a great question for the next call in August, as well as how MSP incentives are based, how it will influence behaviour vrs what MSFT may do

thunderhead
9 months ago

Thank you for your comprehensive response @harryd. While I cannot articulate it as well as you have here, I am largely in the same boat on recent developments. I have never been a shareholder, and these developments are far from terminal for the biz, but it is hard to arrive at a valuation that can sufficiently discount the risks.

mushroompanda
10 months ago

Great post @harryd.

It's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all