Forum Topics ALC ALC 4C Report

Pinned straw:

Added 10 months ago

I agree with @NewbieHK and @Remorhaz that the $ALC result today was a postive.

I'll skip the usual summary of results and analysis and focus instead on an assessment of my usual CF trend analysis and take a look at contracted revenues. The common thought process I am bringing to all of my small caps that are approaching inflection is: "now that costs are under control and also now that we are seeing the organic growth engine exposed, is the revenue growth and operating leverage strong enough to make this an interesting investment?"

First some general observations:

• The selling of incremental modules approach appears to be working.
  • The mix of renewals and new contracts is good.
  • NZ appears to have reached a possible turning point. No point writing too much, as it is the size of an Aussie State, but worth a mention. Kate has commented before on the slow progress in NZ, because they have been impacted by the consolidation of District Health Boards into a consolidated structure. This kind of reorganisation plays havoc with IT procurement decisions because of all the energy that is consumed in the internal reorganisation. So I am sure they will be focused on trying to get a roll out of the module that is in place in one of the former DHBs. And after that more modules? Eventually, the new organisation will kick into action and start making decisions. (I have three members of my extended family working in the NZ health service, and the staffing pressures are as real there as in Aus and UK.)
  • The key message of "we're saving clinicians time", be it doctors, nurses, or orderlies will resonate strongly with decision-makers, given the perennial staffing pressures in all markets.
  • They are building strong "reference cases". This is important because public health services are not in competition with each other and openly share good practices, and coalesce around common solutuions. $ALC are doing a good job on social media with this, as others here have observed.
  • Costs appear to be reasonably under control, with Kate setting clear expectations for FY24.

Now to the analyses.

1. CF Trend Analysis

944a6e1bdac39371d983a7ba122a2200868e76.png

Above is the usual CF analysis. I usually prefer to focus on FCF, but because of the acquisitions within the 8Q window I am going to focus on OpCF. (Although, you can see that absent the Silverlink earnout, $ALC is solidly in the exploitation phase with minimal capex.)

Previously, I have shown the trend lines over the entire dataset, but I am increasingly using the last 8Q, as above, because I think that is a better reflection of the impact of management efforts in the more recent capital constrained environment.

If you compare the above chart, with earlier editions, the good news is that the slope of the OpCF line is increasing significantly. Obviously, the very strong most recent Q helps a lot.

Given the high Q-on-Q volatility it would be wrong to say that the last 3Qs shows a positive trend. So, I won't say that! But the longer term trend is there. Again, I'm not going to show the FCF trend line, as the one-off Silverlink impact renders this meaningless.

2. Analysis of Contracted Sales and Revenue

In lieu of an explicit outlook, I've noticed that in each Q4 report, Kate gives a statement of how much of the contracted revenue is expected to be realised as revenue in the following FY.

So, in the graph below I compare that component of the CR (denoted as "CR(Q4-1)FY") with the revenue or the forecasted revenue from the FY (denoted as "Rev FY").

Above each blue bar (the CR), I plot the % of how much of the next year's revenue is already contracted.

You can see that over the last 3 years, it has been 69% (2021), 58% (2022) and 71% (2023), yielding and an average of 66%.

For FY24, I have used these %'s from the previous years with $33.7m of CR to be recognised as revenue in FY24 to project a range of forecast revenue outcomes for the FY24.

These revenue projections equate to FY23-FY24 revenue growth rates ranging from 19% in the low case to 45% in the high case, with a mean of 28% revenue growth.

This is where I have to write "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" and indeed, with a constant sales force going in to FY24, you might expect being at the lower end of the range to be more likely. It might even be lower (all things being equal) because a constant level of incremental sales represents a progressively declining % increase of each year's base.

However, if $ALC lies anywhere on that range, and provided costs can controlled as Kate has indicated, then we should expect FY24 to be both significantly cash generative at the OpCF and FCF levels.

(OK. I'll stop there and put my inner analyst back in the box).

5101199cbf00fa760f986ba06e0c44d789c29c.png

My Key Takeaways

Overall, the $ALC analysis indicates that the company is passing through the CF inflection point. Given the very large Q-on-Q variations, it is important to take today's positive result in its wider context, and I think Kate's measured and qualified delivery did justice to that.

However, in the UK (and to a lesser extent in NZ), the health systems face particular head winds. In the UK the NHS is widely perceived to be in crisis. I have lived in the UK for 20 years and much of my business network and extended family live there today. At a personal level, I am aware of stories that show the system to be under stress, subject to industrial unrest and suffering from political interference. Kate made reference to these headwinds, and again to her great credit was very balanced in how she tells the story.

$ALC's continued progress despite these headwinds is encouraging. My only issue, is in the case of the UK, there is no end in sight.

I am considering increasing my position in $ALC. With the SP at 25 x EV/EBITDA(FY25), it is sitting between $M7T (12) and $VHT (38), and my current position size indicates a higher risk rating than it deserves. One to mull over, and I will likely wait until Monday, when $M7T reports. There's enough data now that it might even be time to build a DCF. Now there's a cheery thought.

Disc: Held in RL (0.9%)

mushroompanda
10 months ago

Great overview as always @mikebrisy!

I came away feeling that the results were quite muted, and felt the success of the company is hinged on how well it wins NHS contracts over the next year. Next year because Kate believes the trusts need to allocate all their budget by March 2024.

Cashflow was a knockout result. However for a software company that may bill a year in advance, we can’t expect receipts to average higher than next year’s revenues. So I’m wearily of the lumpy nature. As of right now, the receipts are likely to average around the $12m/quarter.

No doubt cashflow is important and everyone wants to see a self funded company going forward. All the PR was centred around cashflow as it was something to crow about. Unfortunately revenue for 2H FY23 will likely be flat, or even fall vs the previously corresponding half. New sales has fallen for 3 consecutive halves. And contracted revenue for next financial year is only 8% higher ($33.7 vs $31.2m) than this time last year.

I’ve attached the slide that was presented during the webcast, which has the new sales trends. Not sure why it wasn’t posted to the ASX. In my mind, and assuming the average contract length is not materially increasing, new sales need to be at least $10m per quarter ($40m annual revenue divided by 4) for the company to hold ground. And they missed this mark 3 of the last 4 quarters.

Without the NHS contract wins - a few of the leading indicators are pointing down. Am I too bearish here?

Does anyone know the size and scale of the NHS contract wins expected?

mikebrisy
10 months ago

@mushroompanda I largely agree with you take on this, which is essentially why I don't hold a larger position (although, I have sneakily added a few more in RL today at $0.12 to my my RL position taking it from 0.9% to 1.3%. I haven't dealt on SM yet because I haven't decided what postion to sell down.)

Average quarterly receipts over the last 4Q were $11.7m, so you'd expect them to do better over the next 12m - maybe $14-15m would be good?. But as you say, its only an average. While 4Q is consistently strong, it is hard to see any other pattern. So I am keeping some powder dry just in case a low Q1 coming after such a strong 4Q creates a wee volatility event ;-).

Your observation about CR is why I did that longer term analysis in my straw yesterday. Proportionately, they just didn't add that much through FY23.

My thesis rests in part on the belief that it is a relatively short period of time (in conservative public healthcare procurement cycles) since the combined Silverlink and legacy Alcidion offerings have been put to customers, both existing for cross-sell and new. There has also been limited time for the $ALC NHS teams to be driving the messages home about their reference cases.So, for the thesis to be maintained, we have to see the promise convert into an increasing rate of new module sales to existing and new customers. For me it remains, "case not proven", but at least it looks like concern about running out of cash is one less thing to be worried about.

But I agree with you, this really is all about the NHS, and it became so the day Silverlink was acquired.

So, no, I don't think you are being too bearish.

mikebrisy
10 months ago

Sorry, @mushroompanda I missed your second question. Kate was asked for forwarding looking guidance, but wouldn't give any, but implied some would be forthing-coming at the FY Presentation.

All she said was " ... costs are levelling out and we are expecting revenue growth to continue on this positive trajectory ..." which can mean something or nothing, and then immediately qualified that this could change if they decide to make "new investments", like moving into new territories in which case that would be called out separately.

Territorial expansion is clearly on the agenda, partly because they've been presenting quite a bit internationally. So, I guess it would take one juicy anchor client to launch another beach head. Watch this space. Personally, I hope they can stay focused and prove their value in the NHS, as it is a vast customer base, rather than diluting their organisational focus across other territories.

So, as far as I know, they have never disclosed the number or scale of their immediate future prospects.

mushroompanda
10 months ago

Thanks for the comments @mikebrisy. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Solvetheriddle
10 months ago

@mushroompanda i think not bearish but maybe backward looking, your analysis is fine, just depends whther the NHS spending taps are opening up again and whether ALC can grab a share of that, imo. if you dont believe that then there is little upside. we shall see.

thunderhead
10 months ago

Agreed that the quarter was positive, especially on the cost front. The NHS hold ups should give way *eventually* and cause another inflection towards meaningful profitability.

mikebrisy
10 months ago

Of course, I also agree with @Strawman's assessment (goes without saying) but to be fair, I was eyeballs down writing my post and didn't read his.

Interesting to see your "buy"... I'll add this to the mix of deliberation over the coming days.

Strawman
10 months ago

You're a force of nature @mikebrisy! Love the detailed thoughts.

Yeah, I thought it was time to top up my holding. Along with some others.

I saw this the other day, which really highlights the sweet spot for me when it comes to small cap growth:

31580fd8ab486a6ca6e5cdc7fe741329b6fdc0.png

Highlights that lovely period where operating leverage starts to emerge, as you also referenced @RobW.

Of course, transitioning from the 2nd to 3rd phase isn't easy. More than a few examples of that on the ASX lately. But for those that do, and go onto stage 4, well... that's where the magic happens!

edgescape
10 months ago

Thanks for the detailed cashflow analysis. Does seem the FCF is a little bit volatile but as you said maybe the strategy is playing out. I don't have time to attend the calls/meetings due to work commitments so don't get the insight that others get here.

One question I would ask is I would think you include financing cashflow in the FCF graph. Although some of those numbers in financing cashflow are not that much and there weren't any recent equity or debt raisings by the look of it.

Living in the UK is pretty tough from my experience also and that seems to been well explained here. You don't want to get sick there and end up in hospital from my personal experience!

On the watchlist but personally I tend to avoid the highly ranked stocks on strawman. Seems like a crowded trade.

mikebrisy
10 months ago

In calculating cash-flows, I include interest on finance and leases In OpCF and therefore it is included in FCF.

its important to strip out changes in the investing line and financing line that are due to changes in capital structure (e.g changing debt or financial investments like term deposits), as they are a consequence of financing decisions and don’t reflecting the operating economics of the business, beyond the interest burden they incur/earn. These can occur in both the investing CF line and the financing CF line, and so you need to screen for these.

I’ll admit to not always being rigorous on this. Especially if the error introduced is small.