Forum Topics NCK NCK Time Horizon Arbitrage?

Pinned straw:

Last edited 9 months ago

I haven’t heard the term ‘time horizon arbitrage’ coined before, but it makes perfect sense. Tim Carleton, Auscap Asset Management CIO talks about their approach to investing on ‘The Rules of Investing’ (Episode 170, 28th July, 2023).

Tim talks about looking past the 6 month horizon the market tends to focus on, and viewing businesses with a much longer time horizon.

In response to the final question, ‘Which stock would you own if the market closed today and didn’t open again for 5 years’, Tim’s choice was Nick Scali. He backed his conviction with the following reasons:

1. A founder run business
  2. A long track record of high ROE, an average of c. 50%
  3. Mostly ungeared, holding net cash 9 years out of 10
  4. A very long runway of organic growth, with opportunity to double the store network over the next decade.
  5. Recently acquired Plush where they have been improving the product, lowering costs to the consumer, while improving their own margins
  6. Valuation is very attractive on a 5 year horizon. Tim said the biggest driver for furniture sales is housing turnover which is currently the lowest it has been in 20years

It’s an interesting podcast. He also talks about JBH, MIN, PLS, REH and REA, including some of their investing mistakes - both missed opportunities and acquired businesses going wrong.

He says they are long term investors, but talks about the reasons why they would sell a stock, with some real life examples.

Disc: Held IRL (8%), SM (15.6%)

Solvetheriddle
9 months ago

@Rick yes Rick new term for an old strategy. as buffet says, and has done for decades, the market moves $ from the impatient to the patient. the thing that struck me about this chaps strategy is that he is sticking to quality when he takes on first order thinking. as i wrote on that LW post you look silly and it is brave to take on first order thinking because you look very stupid if you get it wrong. it is correct strategy to stick to quality when taking this kind of risk (in this case consumer collapse) as it limits downside. when i look at his portfolio we have many common stocks i own, which i think speaks to risk control. imo. ive only run into him once, didnt understand what he was tlaking about, so he is much smarter than me ! :)

PS that 5 year question is ridiculous imo, you may plan to hold forever, but please reassess at least 6 monthly. how many investors can accurately predict which stock will deliver their returns in a balanced portfolio? not me and not many i would guess

Rick
9 months ago

Ha ha! @Solvetheriddle re the 5 year question, I would have more confidence in what a business might deliver in 5 years than in what the market might be willing to pay for it! :)

Remorhaz
9 months ago

I enjoyed listening to that Episode too (it's also available on Livewire's Youtube channel as well (audio only for this particular episode unfortunately) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mMluNMXDzY )