Forum Topics DSE DSE Microsoft announcements

Pinned straw:

Added 9 months ago

This afternoon I had an interesting conversation with someone in my network who is co-owner/co-founder of a boutique cyber-security services firm. More generally, it was an eye-opening/jaw-dropping discussion. But my point here is to share key points regaring $DSE and the Microsoft back-up announcement.

My contact was not knowledgeable about $DSE (and is not an investor in it) as his focus is on larger enterprise clients and goverment agencies. However,he is very well-credentialled, sitting on the advisory board as a cyber-security expert to a highly respected Australian IT institution, so I attach some weight to his insights, as I would not normally write up opinions of non-expert acquaintances.

When I shared what was going on with MS-365 backups and the speculation about the impact on $DSE's value proposition, he did not hestiate and was unequivocal. He stated that the principal of "defence in depth" would mean that a completely independent back-up service would always be valuable from a business continuity/resilience perspective, for some of the reasons we have speculated about here. He believeds there would continue to be a large and growing market for such a service.

He went on to say that cyber attackers usually follow a dual strategy of seeking to defeat firewalls and go first of all for the back-up service. A back-up hosted in a completely separate environment, governed and controlled by a separate entity would be a more robust proposition. This would particurly the case if the service maintained compliance with the various global cyber-security standards. Such a service would also likely have advantages in terms of cyersecurity insurance premiums - a rapidly emerging area. He is also involved in this as a service line, as part of what his company does is assess cyber-risk of comapnies seeking insurance.

While he admitted that many clients might settle for a back-up service provided by the SaaS provider, he would always recommend his clients to view an appropriately-credentialled, completely indepedent service as superior, and this would be reflected in an actuarial assessment.

He fully agreed that $DSE may have a job of work to do to educate their MSP customers, as there is a high degree of variability in capability on security awareness across the MSP industry. This is in large part because of the limited availability of security talent. He cited that there is a shortage today of 30,000 IT securiy professionals across Australia, and one of his biggest areas of focus at the moment is defending his existing staff from poaching attacks my competitors.

Ironically, I have reduced by $DSE position in the last few days, simply because I wanted to increase some other positions, and it is lowest on my merit order for allocating capital (There being no cash in my SM position, and in RL I am "at weight" in my microcap / risky portfolio, so am unwilling to add more cash.) I'm not sure that today's conversation would have changed my decision, had it occurred a few days earlier, but it does strengthen my conviction somewhat regarding my remaining $DSE holding.

I regret I cannot give referenes to back this all up, as it was a private conversation. But this is someone with impeccable credentials whose opinion I trust.

So, when we meet with Charif, one question to ask in addition to understanding the MSP response to $MSFT Back-up, is to probe how security-savvy his MSP customers are, and what EXTRA effort he believes is required to educate them?

mushroompanda
5 months ago

A quick heads up on the new pricing model for Microsoft 365 Backup.

5331950b5b41d3b3d35f8465355e4c5aa29bab.png

Source: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/syntex/syntex-pay-as-you-go-services

They've moved away from per-user licensing to a purely usage base model.

Dropsuite charges MSPs US$2/user/month (all dollar subsequent are USD) and MSPs charge the end customer $3/month. Management have previously stated that the Microsoft offer will likely come in at the $5-8/user/month mark.

However, this new pricing changes things. $3/user/month in the new MS pricing terms will mean that each user can have a corporate digital footprint (email, one drive, teams, etc) of 20GB - which seems relatively generous for a SME employee.

Whatever the case, I believe the price gap between DSE's and Microsoft's offerings has just reduced.

Previously I believed that pricing was the number 1 value proposition Dropsuite had over Microsoft's offering

Here are some more details, which I found on MS's github but not published anywhere publicly: https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/microsoft-365-docs/blob/b2c32f669c2250707b2a17934f9f23f486ca2491/microsoft-365/syntex/backup/backup-pricing.md

TechBunny
5 months ago

Thanks for sharing this, Mr. Mushroom, with insight keen and bright,

Microsoft's competitive pricing move brings Dropsuite a challenging plight.

Their plan to vie on price, alas, casts a shadow wide and deep,

For Dropsuite, this news rings clear, a challenge they must leap.

jayjayjayjay
5 months ago

great find @mushroompanda

I remain of the opinion that MSP's sell DSE product and have contracts in place to resell this. Will these MSPs change this and opt to sell MSFT products instead? Remembering that DSE offer a decent service and have a best-in-class product as it stands.

Most of the SMEs do not have any backup services and DSE penetrate mainly the white market. It seems like the MSPs play a large role in informing their clients of the DSE product and the importance of backup. Without this selling point are SMEs aware of these backup products?

In other words does this product sell because MSPs make SMEs aware of the product and sell it to their clients rather than SMEs going directly to MSFT to implement this product?

I am unsure how MSFT plan on marketing their product at this moment in time. Although it is competition, there seems to remain a huge opportunity for growth acknowledging that MSFT is a much greater competitor.

DISC held

mushroompanda
5 months ago

@jayjayjayjay

From my perspective, my original bull thesis has changed quite a bit over the past several months.

First it was a fast growing company, in a competitive low-moat environment, but doing something right to outpace the industry average by quite a margin.

Then a Black swan event happened with a vendor doing their own native backup product, which will likely have a superior feature set over time. But DSE has a value proposition (ordered from strong to weak by me) of 1. Being much cheaper ($3 vs $5-8/user/month) 2. Built for MSPs - fits into their process, marketing/sales materials that hit with end customers. 3. Separation of duties.

And now, in my mind, the number 1 value prop is being attacked.

Dropsuite may very well still be very successful from here. As you mentioned, it's a big and growing market with enough share for a few different players.

It's just that none of the headwinds mentioned above were there earlier this year, when the share price was at lower or similar levels as today.

jayjayjayjay
5 months ago

Great points and I completely agree 100%. I was hoping the MSFT price would be higher and it does seem to come as a package deal.

I do think the MSP aspect is the key however to your three points. MSPs get paid by selling DSE therefore getting incentives. I doubt they are selling the MSFT product. They have direct SME contacts that they can resell the product to. This remains the absolute key to me even more so than price. You continue to get best in class product for a cheaper price.

regardless it’s definitely more of a headwind no doubt that was not present 12 months ago. It will be interesting to see if they can maintain the historic growth.

always appreciate your insight into this company btw.

Bear77
8 months ago

I don't hold Dropsuite (DSE) myself, however I came across this commentary from Claude Walker, published at "A Rich Life": https://arichlife.com.au/dropsuite-asx-dse-q2-2023-results-and-new-competing-product-announced/ on July 19th (at 4:13pm) - which is interesting analysis.

A lot of his stuff is behind a paywall but that appears to not be. However, if I'm wrong and you can't access it without a login (password), then post a comment below and I'll remove the link.

Strawman
9 months ago

I have no direct experience in the industry, but what you've shared @mikebrisy really does seem to make sense to me. I've maintained my $DSE position here on Strawman, and will wait until we speak with Charif next month before making any decision.

Solvetheriddle
9 months ago

@mikebrisy good work Mike and interesting stuff, even the mighty GOOGL has had its share price rocked by what MSFT may do, so DSE in esteemed company :).