Forum Topics RMD RMD Q3 FY23 Results

Pinned straw:

Last edited 10 months ago

Dropped circa 10% following earnings miss. Top line continues to grow. Interested in others perspectives. Short term weakness with a buying opportunity given the long term tail winds?

thunderhead
9 months ago

RMD is up 6% in the pre-market in the US. Interesting. Let's see where it closes.

I would be disappointed if the downswing is over, as my top-up order did not get hit today and I was hoping for a couple of % lower.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

It can take a while for down-swings to be exhausted (Just think about all those holders pouring over their charts and seeing a "sell" signal!). I patiently have my second top-up bite waiting at $28.50. Its getting close! I'm happy to wait.

thunderhead
9 months ago

Didn’t expect such a divergence. US securities ended up more than 4%. I know some of the differential is due to currency movements, but we’re down 2.50% here, which seems like a big swing. Maybe a bit of catch up from the US drop on Friday.

thunderhead
9 months ago

Btw, I am enjoying your generous sharing of all the outstanding research you do @mikebrisy (I know I have said something along these lines previously, but it bears repeating).

I am on much the same page with regard to the current state of play with RMD, even though I have regard for TA and have increasingly incorporated it into my investment process over the years - when a high quality company stumbles, it's best to ignore the charts in favour of the fundamentals and outlook over the long term. Even here though, charts can help you identify points to enter e.g. selling exhaustion, signs of institutional demand coming in etc.

I am also inclined to believe Mick when he says margins will improve - he and the company have earned that kind of benefit of the doubt.

thunderhead
9 months ago

Well, the market sure did oblige, and for the first time in many years, I added to my position today. I didn't get the best price as I had a crazy day at work and couldn't adjust my order, but it won't matter either way in the fullness of time.

Solvetheriddle
10 months ago

Some good stuff here that i will not repeat. I have followed RMD for long time (20 years or so) and have met CEO and CFO many times. RMD has evolved a fair bit over that time frame. IMO it has the most effective sales function in Aust health.

One of the "US" focus of analysis that has become a big driver for RMD is the delta in the GM. it moves the share price much more than before. as with other higher growth US companies. probably the last 5-10 years have seen this, so no surprise it impacts again as @mikebrisy has described. can over shoot the share price both ways.

my other takes are that RMD makes alot of $, to be blunt, from over weight US people that are so over weight that they cant breathe, not too sure how much but it is significant imo. there are now weight loss pills that potetnially crimp demand. a q was asked in the call and MF said the pills are too expensive and have side effects and compliance issues. so no large threat at this stage but this issue but must be monitored,.imo.

secondly and 2 related issues are that the b/s has deteriorested and so has CF, Wheen asked the q on the call, since he is the accountant and a good one. RMD are carrying a lot of debt, which previosly they have been able to pay off quite quickly due to strong CF, so the weak CF is a concern, CFO was a bit non committal imo could be w/cap related.

i ahve held RMD in the past, not a holder now, my last purchases were around $24, see value around $27/8, but those issues mentioned need to be kept in control.

thats all i have

mikebrisy
10 months ago

@Figgy the 9% SP drop on the ASX yesterday was nothing compared to the 18.50% drop on NYSE.

The 5% earnings miss on its own was always going to lead to punishment given $RMD's high P/E of c. 35 going in to the result. However, what the market seems to have reacted most strongly to is concerns over %GM. Before the pandemic, %GM was almost 60% and over the last 3 years it has progressively declined to 56.5%. So if you are modelling $RMD's value, and you project slower earnings growth and lose confidence in the ability to restore %GM, it is impossible to sustain the pre-result valuation without very aggressive revenue growth assumptions. So, it is possible to argue that the market's response has been entirely rational. Certainly, in the ASX if not in NYSE - however, be prepared for ASX to open Monday influenced by NYSE and any broker notes by US analysts.

Personally, I see things differently, and here I am taking what Mick Farrell CEO said yesterday on the analysts call at face value.

With the continuing absence of Phillips from the market and the full re-opening of sleep clinics, plus a steady replacement flow of product (3-5 year upgrades), revenue growth was very strong. Mick said (and I am paraphrasing) "we could have chosen to engineer the %GM result, but instead we chose to treat every patient, and this is resulted in a strong GP". Mick is clear, they are doing everything they can now that supply chain constraints are largely released to capitalise on Phillips absence from the market and gain maximum market share.

My sense is that this is a far-sighted strategy. Not only will they be seen as a reliable supplier in the market, they get more and more of the potential market onto their devices which over time will drive growth of the much higher margin masks and accessories. And importantly, while most new patients are now cloud-connected, it is expanding their share of the market using their aps and providing sleep data. (They already have over 6 billion night of sleep data in the cloud) The resources provided by MyAir and the connection to healthcare professionals is going to provide for better patient care and value-adding services - an area they have been focused on for years, before you even mention the letters "AI".

To some extent, the lower %GM can be understood:

• They've sold proportionately more devices than masks and accessories, and devices have a lower %GM
  • They've met demand by selling AirSense-10, which had to be re-engineered during the supply chain problems at a margin impact
  • For reasons only partly explained, AirSense-11, the new product, is still on allocation. Which means they haven't fully ramped up production to meet demand. They have warned that AirSense-11 would taken longer to meet demand on the last 2 quarterly calls, so I'll have to check back on the transcripts to see if things have slipped. Mick said that AirSense11 is higher margin and that this would contribute to improvements over time. (AirSense-11 is still also undergoing regualtory approval rollouts).
  • There is a 6-9 month lag between $RMD buying inputs into their supply chain and selling the devices. Mick said that much of the inventory sold during FY23 including Q4 FY23 had been subject to the higher freight costs etc. during 2021 and into 2022. He made pointed remarks that just because spot prices are now down to pre-pandemic levels, doesn't mean their cost base re-sets overnight. The higher cost inventory has to work through.
  • SG&A increased significantly due to staff costs and a full return to travel, so cycling lower numbers from 2021-2022.
  • While they have increased prices, they have had to work with partners who need to agree price increases with reimbursement bodies (governments, insurance) and it seemed to me that they have not pull the pricing lever that hard, which I read as consistent with the strategy of wanting to steal maximum market share.
  • Over time, software will also make an increasing contribution at very high margin, and the y-o-y comparisons are slightly mixed by the impact of the Medifox Dan acquisition, which of course should have been a positive impact on %GM, so I haven't quite got my ahead around that yet.

So basically, if you believe Mick, $RMD should see %GM increase through FY24 and onwards. He was also bullish about demand, but wouldn't set any guidance on that.

There might be a small credibility issue opening up. One of the analysts asked in Q&A why the margin improvements that had been discussed in Q3 hadn't materialised. Again, I need to go back and check the transcripts on what was said and in what context.

A bit like with $CSL recently, the profit miss and the %GM result caught the market by surprise, hence the selloff.

$RMD is one of my largest RL holdings, and its never nice when one of your largest holdings drops 10% in a day with the prospect of more to come.

If you believe what Mick is saying, then the market is giving one of the rare pullback opportunities that high quality companies offer from time to time. To be honest, I am tempted, however, my $RMD position is one of my largest (now #6 after the fall). But I am not going to hurry. SP action over coming days will move as funds respond to upodated research.

Interestingly, Goldman Sach (Chris Cooper was on the call yesterday morning), have come out with quite a bullish note, maintaining a "BUY" recc. and nudging the TP down from $39.60 to $38.40, which is now a very significant upside to Friday's close of $30.70. They show improvements in %GM through FY24 back to around 58% by end of FY24, so they believe Mick.

I need to give this some more thought. But for now, I am sitting tight as this is for me definitely a case of don't sell on bad news, as $RMD is a quality company with a long-term, global, industry leading position. It is one of my core, long term positions.

Disc: Held in RL.

Figgy
10 months ago

Damn! @mikebrisy Amazing response…!

The tailwind, I really see, is exactly what you’ve pointed out. Healthcare is rapidly becoming an Arms race in terms of data it always has been to a great degree, knowledge is power (and money), I work in the industry (different specialty) and treat patients.

They are establishing themselves as the market dominant player with the number of cloud connected devices and proprietary data that will ride on top. I agree the valuation prices some of this in, but it’s hard to ignore that great businesses almost always look expensive.

I’m actually hoping the share price gets hammered with a market overreaction to the downside. On my watchlist to enter a position with a long-term hold in mind. Certainly the respiratory physicians I know, still view CPAP as the gold standard treatment for apnoea, and if optimised further with proprietary data then alternatives, such as somnomed have a very long and difficult runway to take significant marketshare.

mikebrisy
10 months ago

I agree. My val ahead of the result was $37, and if I eyeball a weaker %GM for 1-2 years, I'd probbably come back to closer to $36.

Interestingly, the GS research note only has revenue growth CAGR for next 3 years of 9% (Last 4-year CAGR has been closer to 13%, assisted by Phillips, obviously). True, its a large base now, and we will see Phillips return at some stage and competition heat up. But they are continuing to invest 7% of revenue in R&D and Mick spoke of improved masks coming out in FY24 (that he's been trialling at home), and we are yet ro see the full power of AirSense-11 sales and margin. Mick also reminded us that in different regions they already face strong regional competitors and that Phillips has not been out of all markets, albeit the US is the largest. He disclosed this as part of the explanation as to why they hadn't been able to pull the pricing lever too hard, as part of his defence of the %GM story.

Just to put in context, on the GS numbers, they hit a p/e = 23 in FY26 at today's ASX SP, and given all the health issues their products assist with and the global market, there is no way I believe the growth story is done by FY26. Their "aspirational target" of treating 250m patients by FY25 looks stretchy now, but the global addressible market across the various conditions is still c. 1 billion people, with many being "conditions of affluence", concentrated in developed markets. In some cases developed market incidence being 2-3x that of developing markets.

So I see the GS 9% revenue growth CAGR as very do-able and its lower than me at 10%. I also assumed Phillips would be back by now. They still have more demand for AS-11 than they can meet, so I believe there is a significant revenue upside risk in the short term. Mick said AS-11 would remain on allocation for a few more quarters, which means that they should be able to meet full market demand at some time during FY24, which means it should contribute strongly through FY25 for the full year.

So, where I've landed, is that I will hold my current allocation if ASX stays flat on Monday, and wait until I review my allocations and valuations across the portfolio in early September (lots more results for nearly all my larger holdings yet to come in). But if ASX follows NYSE down another 9-10%, then I will increase my allocation. The returns and risk profile from my perspective becomes compelling if the SP dips down into the $27.00-$28.00. I don't have any scenario that leads to that valuation, short of a shock, like a product recall. (Important to remember that this can happen, and they are not that infrequent in medical devices! I don't model that risk, but manage it via my strict position size limits.)

The near term risk I see is that 1Q will be softer on revenue (due to their seaonal trend) - I think that is understood by most analysts. More significant will be if they have not made any progress on operational levers over the next 90 days, then it starts to look like a downgrade cycle, and the research notes could start getting bearish. So you have to be prepared to accept the short term risk. I think there is a real risk this could happen. $RMD was a bit like $CSL in that a narrative has been building this year which has supported a very bullish sentiment, Yesterday's result pricked that bubble, somewhat. And any further bad news may turn the narrative in the other direction. Of course that's all noise and nothing to do with the underlying business, but it gives me pause for thought to think about when the best buying opportunity might arise.

BoredSaint
10 months ago

Assuming RMD.ASX follows what happened on the NYSE (which it should considering it's the same company just different listing), then at the market cap that it closed on overnight on the NYSE it equates to an ASX share price of around $27.28.

This puts it on a trailing PE (based on FY23 numbers) of almost exactly 30x. According to what I'm seeing using TradingView, the PE of RMD hasn't been below 30x since 2017 albeit earnings have tripled from 2017-2023.

Definitely one for the watchlist as a long-term quality compounder in a defensive sector. If there is an overreaction to the downside, I think it would be a company to slowly allocate into and leave it in the bottom drawer for the next 3-5 years.

Disc: Not Held.

lankypom
10 months ago

@mikebrisy your analysis as always is very insightful.

I have been researching Resmed off and on for a few weeks, and must admit I have somewhat fallen in love with the company, especially its evangelist CEO Mick Farrell.

I was fully expecting a surprise on the upside in its latest results announcement, given its main competitor has been absent from the market for 18 months, so initiated a position in my RL portfolio the day before. Doh!

The market reaction to an 18% YOY increase in revenue and 17% increase in EPS (or only 7% increase non-GAAP) is overblown in my view. Lots of nitpicking about a couple of percentage points decline in gross margin, despite the fact that this is readily explained by the increased percentage of lower-margin Airflow 10 devices in the sales mix, and by the higher material and freight costs that are baked in to the inventories of these devices.

I topped up my position at a 10% discount on Friday, and am now locked and loaded for the next 5 years +. I'm not expecting any meaningful gains in the short term, but with the company achieving revenue CAGR 13%, operating income (non-GAAP) CAGR 15% and EPS (non-GAAP) CAGR 15% I see this as a pretty dependable long term investment.

Figgy
9 months ago

I really think Ozempic is probably the bigger “threat” to ResMed than Phillips at this point.

All the players are gearing up to release seemingly highly effective weight loss drugs (side effects and durability of loss will determine winner so long road yet). But I don’t see it impacting substantially for another 3-5 years at least. The world will probably get heavier/older meanwhile.

Coincidentally Frazis’ latest investment memo talks about a small company call Inspire Medical Systems which is apparently logging growing sales. I haven’t looked into it but sounds like a surgical/ implanted device.

thunderhead
9 months ago

Excellent analysis as usual @mikebrisy. The level of detail you go into and the clarity with which you articulate your views is a sight to behold!

As my largest holding, the steep fall on Friday (with the expected follow up on Monday) was no fun at all, but if it gets to the mid 20s, it is hard not to see it as an opportunity. Even at its current weight on my portfolio, I may not be able to resist topping up for what will be the first time in several years. I haven't taken up the fleeting opportunities offered by such drops over my 8 year holding period.

The emergence of the GLP-1 agonists is a longer-term threat that should not be taken lightly, but will likely only materialise much further out if at all.

rmoss
10 months ago

Not sure it is outright clean cut opportunity @Figgy, at a PE of 35 the tailwinds are to a degree factored into the price, the concern for me is really the gross margin decline and I will be watching this over the next couple of quarters. I am both a customer and shareholder (IRL) and generally happy as both. It is a great business but it now goes on the review list