Forum Topics BOT BOT Whose the sucker

Pinned straw:

Last edited 9 months ago

The big question mark I have around this one is why did Freshtracks agree to close out the licence aggreement for what can only be described as a steal for Botanix. At the time that Botanix bought Sofpironium Bromide they described it as a "Deal structured with minimal upfront payments, with most of the consideration payable in Net Sales milestones and royalties". The recent agreement to close out the licence royalties and milestone payments really doesn't make any sense if you were FreshTracks. FreshTracks were due to get $4m payment when/if the FDA approval is received in late September, so closing out all of the future payments (>$160M potential) for $8.25M seems ludicrously shortsighted by them. This makes me question why would they do this as presumerably there is a good reason. FreshTracks aren't flush with cash but they are also not desperate either and as of March 23 they had $10M in the bank which they said will cover them for the next 12 months. I am also wondering why no other large pharmaceutical company wanted to either buy the rights to Sofpironium Bromide or to buy the potential royalty stream from FreshTracks. I am a bit sceptical about this deal as it seems incredibly onesided in Botanix's favor. Given that until Botanix stumbled upon this drug in early 2022, and prior to that they were trying to develop skin creams from cannabis for achne and rosaca, which failed in phase 2 trials.

This all makes me suspicious that FreshTracks could be the better poker players, and they know/suspect something (as the drug developer) that could become problematic during its market rollout. They have accrued the development costs and are now effectively giving it all away for a total of $13.25m. I doubt this would have recouped their cost of the development of Sofpironium Bromide.

The final nail for me was reading the interview with Alan Kohler where the CEO described the phase 3 results of Sofpironium Bromide as "pretty highly statistically significant". Significance either is or isn't at a specific level, but can't be highly or slightly.

If the drug is legit and Botanix are able to charge $700/ month for the initial target of 300000 paitents with a 5-10% COGS then the financials look impressive and they should do very well, but I have an uncomfortable feeling that this isn't the most likely outcome or the full story. Good luck to holders but I think I will watch this one from the sidelines.

I am reminded by that saying that if you can't see the sucker at the table then it is probably you.

Scoonie
9 months ago

Some excellent posts on BOT. Here are my thoughts on it.

I agree with @slideup the two deals that BOT has struck with Fresh Tracks to buy SB seems so good as to be implausible.  The first deal to buy SB in May of last year was explained by BOT management as being executed at a time when funding capital for drug developers was essential on its knees. OK fair enough, capital was very tight in the middle of last year particularly for non-earners like Fresh Tracks.  Lightening then strikes twice. BOT purchases from Fresh Tracks the royalty stream for an amount of $US8.25m. The near term value of this, assuming FDA approval is $US12m and the potential longer term value is well in excess of US$100m. How do you explain this?

Well BOT management explains it by Fresh Tracks being in severe financial distress. Is this explanation plausible?  In recent times the financial tracks left by Fresh Tracks stink. No doubt this helps account for the name change from Brickell.     In the last 4 years it has consistently lost money, in total US$105m. In the March quarter they had cash of $10.8m and lost $4.3m. There was no results conference call. (Can’t be too harsh on FT management for that, if I were them I would want to run and hide too).  Sure looks like a company on the bones of its arse.  See @Nnyck777 who steps through company the travails.

So the ASX small biotech steal of the year deal, you can argue, is plausible. What about management? BOT has been ASX listed since 2014 and has had a number of drug setbacks and has lost investors money. When it comes to small cap biotechs, nothing new here. (Same goes for most ASX listed companies) The ED Matt Callaghan similarly has had his share of biotech disappointments. However as long as he is not a crook (which I can find no evidence of), then so what. 

At least the guy knows his way around.  Also he appears to be surrounded by people who are experienced in the right fields and geographies. The US management appear to be well connected in the dermatological drug market. 

DOWNSIDE:

Assuming SB does get FDA approval, like the breaking of a drought, it does not just rain cash. BOT has to hire around 30 sales staff and spend money and time selling initially mainly to dermatologists. And there is established competition in the hyperhidrosis market to contend with. See @Nnyck777 for window on the emerging competitive landscape.      It will take time before the drug earns money. .  So a capital raise on approval is just about a certainty. Based on the Japanese experience and according to the CEO, sales in the US are expected to be around US$200m in 2 to 3 years time.

Another point to consider, if SB’s penetration to the Japanese market has been such a success where are the rivers of cash back to FT?  In the March quarter of 2023 FT seems to have earnt next to nothing from SB royalties and only $92k (yes ninety two thousand dollars) in the corresponding 2022 quarter.   

The other obvious point is the FDA approval may never arrive.

OVERALL:

The other part of the BOT value equation is the earlier stage drugs they are developing clearly have some value. So if there is no FDA approval, BOT will not go to zero.   See @mikebrisy for good valuation scenario guestimates.

Overall, looks a pretty reasonable deal at the current BOT market cap.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Scoonie that's a nice balanced summary.

Nnyck777
9 months ago

Hi @mikebrisy @Slideup @JimmyKaken’s Ecclock 5% Sofporonium Bromide (SB) product initially arranged it’s royalty structure with Brickell Biotech (which rebranded as Freshtracks). The percentage royalties and previous deal that Botanix has inherited, with full rights purchase of the SB product, has not been disclosed.

Hence, building models on this is difficult. I view Ecclock as a derisking signal for SB approval by the FDA. Japan is notoriously strict and difficult to get approval of new medical devices or drugs. Not to cross discuss but David Williams all but suggested avoiding the Japanese market for Polynovo for this reason in his Strawman interview.

f264cda8e45a764cfcd59a38e58c3271109a08.png

So current likelihood of approval in contrast to your 70% approval @mikebrisy is more likely to be 90% as dermatology is included in the ‘other basket’ circled above. Plus in my view the fact that this has already been met in a tough market increases my confidence. 

Hyperhydrosis is a common problem in Japan but the market is estimated to be 1/3 of the size of the US. 

The income from Kaken is fairly immaterial. Japan has priced the product at $70 US equivalent a month. This is small fry to the expected pricing in the US. I posted a link previously to the most recent discussions with Howie Mckibbon chief product officer. He suggests that based on comps in the US market and current insurance payer arrangement for Drysol and Qbrexa (the incumbent substandard products) a $600-700 a month price would be achievable. Remembering SB will likely become gold standard product due to ease of use, efficacy, accessibility and minimal side effects. 

Find Kaken’s recent report here:

(https://ssl4.eir-parts.net/doc/4521/ir_material_for_fiscal_ym4/139291/00.pdf)

Kaken recent qrtly report shows a huge 66% increase in sales on previous FY22. This highlights the success of the product and indicates that once prescribed patients are staying on Ecclock. Qbrexa’s data is flat and the growth of this product is less than impressive. 

So I treat Ecclock as a test case rather than a major revenue stream – as we do not know the details until the next few BOT qrtlys where we can calculate this for ourselves. 

e289374520704ed5f35f4d9466fa7ef106a171.png

Remember US $13million is based on a US $70 monthly sale price. However pricing in the US will be a lot higher not $70/month more like $600-$700 a month. So pricing is higher and sales numbers should be 3x higher due to population difference. 

@Slideup my Botanix post from a month ago titled #Research hopefully with will cover my thoughts on this. Matt also made comments about this in the Kohler interview as you noted.

Kohler question from question on the 8th of August (see below) (https://www.eurekareport.com.au/investment-news/botanix-awaits-fda-approval-for-super-antiperspirant/152770)

7ee034e85f102985d6ee5c5d50de221c85e02e.png

“after approval and based on sales, in

fact, profit on those sales. So, at the

time we did the deal, we had about $5

million bucks upfront, $4 million on

approval and then about another $160

million in milestones if we were very

successful with a product up to about

$1 billion in sales and some double-digit

royalties. So, we had the opportunity

that arose pretty quickly in the last

couple of weeks as the company that

we acquired it from are kind of moving

onto a new phase of their own

development and we were able

to

negotiate with them to buy-out all of

those future financial obligations for a

lump sum of $US8.25 million. So we

owed them about $4 million when we

got approval which is planned for this

September, so for another $4.25 million

we were able to buy out all the rest of

those financial obligations.”

With regards to pricing and margins I thought this section was interesting. 

0e2f8c85933e22b4158cc50aebe58cc7ef2240.png

@Slideup good question: “Why did no one else buy them out?” Because they didn’t have FDA approval, a production sight, marketing or distribution plan. This is very hard to do and most companies fail. It takes expertise, experience and money. The Botanix team has this in spades. Large pharmaceuticals will value a drug much more highly if it is ready to go. 

SB is still a dermatology product and the team are dermatology experts. Apparently several employees had come across from Brickell and had bought the product to the Botanix management team.

The rosacea and acne plans  (using synthetic CBD) are still very much alive but they need money to get these two drugs through phase III. Vince and Matt were both very clear that they were looking for advanced assets that they could buy to fund this future drug development. COVID slowed everything right down and everyone was nervous about money drying up. Rosacea was successful with 2b and the acne study was complicated a poorly run. Australia’s arms results were fantastic but the US arm had a massive stuff up due to state CBD laws and using multiple manufacturers. (See straws from several years ago I covered this too). 

@slideup “This all makes me suspicious that FreshTracks could be the better poker players, and they know/suspect something (as the drug developer) that could become problematic during its market rollout.” 

I think it is wise to question everything but Ecclock is seems to be successful in Japan and it is demonstrating growing numbers. Botanix is using the same drug but a 10% formulation rather than 5%. Which was shown to be extremely safe at higher concentrations during Brickell’s earliest trials of SB. 

I don’t like the use of highly statistically significant either (face palm) but @mikebrisy hit the nail on the head about that.

Ha ha perhaps you are right @slideup, I might be the sucker at the table. 

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Nnyck777 really helpful post. I never imagined the pricing differential would be so high. (Now we know why the US spends 18% of GDP on health, around double much of the rest of the developed world!) With such a differential, how likely are we to find a grey market developing between Japan and the US? I understand the payers have indicated pricing in line with Qbrexa will be supported, but it looks like an opportunty to me. Apart from the legality and the fact that the Japanese label presumably isn't in English, boy thats a big arbitrage opportunity.

Hah! I knew you'd come back at me over my 70% CoS! (Consider it my 20% "sucker at the table risk premium" ;-))

On sales and marketing strategy, Matt was taking about two channels: 1) direct with a field force of 30 to cover the 4500 prescribing dermatologists and 2) telemedicine with an e-channel. This doesn't look like a difficult product to sell, so they should be able to ramp this up in year 1, to build up to a good selling rate by the end of CY2024. So I'll assume 40 bods in place by year end to cover both channels.

Time to start cranking the handle.

P.S. I remember DW's remark regarding Japan - it was in response to a question I asked him a year or two ago. For big pharma and medical devices Japan is often the 3rd priority after US and EU, because it is a big market and prices generally are very strong. I guess my experience is skewed because big pharma have well-resourced in-country teams to manage the regualtory engagement. No so easy in startup land.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Slideup it is a good question, and I don't have a robust answer.

What I do know is that Fresh Tracks is a small company running multiple clinical trials. They haven't reported this Q, but in their 10-Q for end March 2023, they had issued $6m in new capital, burned $4.5m in OpCF, and ended the Q with less than $10m cash. They have no revenue stream.

So perhaps they were a distressed seller, given that the US market can currently be described as challenging for raising new capital in biotech. Sunk costs don't really play into deal valuation.

Also, the rights on their own are probably not valuable to another buyer, or in any event they might have had trouble finding another buyer better able to value them.

I think $BOT imply as much. $BOT as owner of the asset is the natural acquirer of the rights,

On the face of it, they settled for a value that implies either or both of 1) greater approval risk (than the 90% the $BOT Chair has implied, in general terms) or 2) limited market uptake.

But there is no escaping your challenge, it looks like a very good deal. We'll find out soon if it was too good.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

And on the efficacy question, I think the data that has been presented by $BOT earlier this year Presentation is clear on the read out from the Phase III trial.

Slide 5-8

The difference on the end points is statistically signicant at p=0.0001 and p=0.0002, depending on the end point. So, only 0.01% and 0.02% likelihood of the effect being due to chance. The report conclusion is that "85% of patients experienced a statistically significant and clinically meaningful response" and that in "independent" market testing they found that "85% of patients and dermatologists would use and prescribe SB". Market researchers reported that payers rate SB as 4/7 on unmet needs and that in the market researcher experience this is considered a "High" rating.

From my reading that looks like a real product. Am I missing something?

Jimmy
9 months ago

I'm not sure if you're missing anything mikebrisy but as a result of this latest discussion I've gone back through the detail to make sure I haven't which has bought me to this question/concern regarding label negotiations. If I understand correctly prior to FDA approval there must be an announcement that the label has been agreed. As the label content negotiations commenced Q2 (ie: April-23) I would have thought this would have been a relatively straight forward process however it's now moved into Q3 and still no update and therefore wondering if this is cause for any concern as I have no idea on what is considered acceptable regarding timing on such negotiations?

mikebrisy
9 months ago

Yes, I saw that too.

Going back through some of the CT reports that I am able to find, I can't find anything of concern on the safety side. And I don't see $BOT having disclosed anything which indicates they aren't expecting a broad label. But how experienced are they?

Here is the PIL from Japan PIL - it looks pretty benign to me.

If there was some negotiation required on the label, then making modifications to take into account FDA feedback might push that milestone back towards the approval milestone. It wouldn't necessarily mean that the approval decsion was delayed. A delay would happen if $BOT weren't able to agree to accept the feedback.

Again, we'll find out in September, if there isn't a positive announcement in September.

That's the thought process I went through, rightly or wrong.

Slideup
9 months ago

@mikebrisy I wasn’t implying it wasn’t a real product and that it wasn’t a good trial outcome. It was more noting the language used to frame the result as ‘highly’ significant, using emotive language to sell its importance. This is more of an annoyance for me coming from a research scientist background.

@Nnyck777 @Jimmy I can definitely see a potential future where this rolls out without any problems or someone takes them over and the SP should increase substantially in these circumstances. My comments are more around me being comfortable with the management of what I am invested in.

My problem is that I just can’t understand why FreshTracks would effectively give it away. The statement that they are going in a different direction could be true, and I think if they had sold out of the licence deal for $25-40M rather than $8.25M I think I would believe it, but selling it for that price doesn’t really enable them to go in a new direction. I would also think that raising capital would be easier for them if they had the royalty and milestone payments on their books.

@Nnyck777 I also went back and read the earlier 2019 interview, and I thought this was informative of the management quality. I compare this to the Neuren management who have a steady stepwise anpproach annd who I very quickly (rightly or wrongly) got comfortable with Jon and the decisions he made. I got a very different feel on the quality and trustworthy metric with botanix.

I also didn’t really like the explanation that this opportunity fell in their laps, they didn’t seek it out as such but rather it came to them. I read this as their earlier trials didn’t work and this enabled them to pivot the business to this drug. Which is fine but in the context of FreshTracks backing out of the partnership makes me very nervous. When I first saw the buyout of the license I thought it was a master stroke by Bot but now I am unsure.

I am not experienced with biotechs so this may be incorrect, but I would have thought a successful phase 3 trial with a large potential market in the US would have been what larger pharmaceutical companies were looking for and that they would grab it on these results, and then use their size and experience to get FDA approval and roll it out? Is this correct or do you think they generally wait for FDA approval prior to pouncing?

I’m not trying to knock this investment idea but for me I can’t get it to work under my framework

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Slideup I think your challenges are great… that’s the quality of discussion that makes SM worthwhile. And yes, the deal seems a steal, or is it? I can’t yet see any way of resolving the question in my own mind. You are right, $4m does not set them on a "new course"; 3-4 months survival rations doesn’t do it.

I’ve taken a tiny bite. @Nnyck777 has placed rather a big bet.

There’s "no regret" in my current position in the failure case, but I have between today and FDA decision day to form a more complete/informed view of the risk. At the moment, my concern is that my bet is too small. We can’t debate risk appetite, but we can debate chances of success. Bring it on.

Fun, eh?

edgescape
9 months ago

Got to like the binary event of FDA approval!

Look at Cyclopharm share price when they received a CRL from the FDA! Hopefully they will be second time lucky.

I took a small amount when it fell to 13c The past track record of Matt and Vince turning drugs into multi million blockbusters really appealed to me.

Reminds me of Mark Clark from Capricorn Metals who turned Equigold and Regis Resources into a billion dollar market cap companies with Equigold being taken over.

Or even Bill Beament with Northern Star Resources. Apologies for the reference to gold companies but it is the only example I can find.

But I should remind everyone that management track record isn't always a guarantee.

Ted Dhanik who was one of the co-founders of Myspace is a good example with Engage BDR / CTV now bankrupt.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Slideup my understanding of the answer to your question is that a lot of acquisitions of biotechs by pharma take place during Phase II and III. Often the acquiring co. has an edge in the therapy area, so that once safety and efficacy data emerge, they are better able to judge the risked value of the target’s lead chemical entity. Phase III is also where the costs ramp up, so can be an added driver. While I believe this to be true, acquisitions occur right across the life cycle because another consideration is the status of the acquirer’s development pipeline as well as their commercial portfolio, and how the target fits in that context.

For $BOT and Fresh Tracks this is less relevant, because Ecclock is already in the market in Japan so there is more data and the risk profile for the US should be much lower. Which all comes back to your original challenge: why was the deal so cheap? If we could get to talk to Matt, that would be worth drilling into.

I would fully expect $BOT to be on the receiving end of approaches, particularly now that they own the drug without any strings, in fact, enhancing M&A attractiveness was part of the reason to extinguish Fresh Tracks rights. It all comes down to how Matt values what they have. My sense, given the Chairman’s background, is that they’ll push for a bullish view. In fact you can already see that in their investor communications which are intended as much for the benefit of acquirers.

edgescape
9 months ago

@Slideup Your thoughts prompted me to dig deeper into Fresh Tracks

Firstly, while they are flush with cash now, their financial performance has been very poor. Last financial year FY22 they made a huge gross loss on their sales. So there are issues with the way their product is being delivered to customers.

bcc7d3401144e95b55dc95cfca852cb045e6a0.png

At this point you need to question whether Fresh Tracks should stop what they are doing and look at some other products to develop in their pipeline. With that they need cash so are probably happy with selling their interest.

Secondly I think being a small company, Fresh Tracks maybe does not have time or resources to seek independent advice on the valuation of the agreement given that SB is nearing FDA approval. Valuation is made more difficult that this is in fact a binary event with probability of a positive or negative outcome. This is almost an Advanced Applied Finance question looking at risk neutral probabilities, Damodaran real options etc. etc which I won't bore anyone with as last time it was too much work for me with little reward when sometimes the answer is staring plainly in your face.

The point is, it is very hard to value the agreement so any money offered is probably worth taking.

Finally, maybe Fresh Tracks don't see the agreement as a core part of their business as SB is totally different to what they are developing.

I also want to mention that even the big companies get it wrong. The Karlawinda Royalty which South32 owned is one that sticks in my mind. At that time South32 sold because they didn't see the royalty as a core part of their portfolio. In other words, they were not interested in holding a Gold asset. Or maybe they felt was too much risk as it entered development phase - which is almost a "FDA moment". What they didn't consider is that the developer of Karlawinda was none other than Mark Clark, the guy that created billion dollar market cap companies 3 times over if you include his current position. So you got to imagine how South 32 got this one wrong - I would argue they would be in better financial position had they kept the royalty until the mine started earning money instead of selling before that happened.

Then again your points are valid and maybe Fresh Tracks know a little more than Botanix does regarding chances of FDA approval and how the revenue turns out so it is good to get someone to challenge the narrative.

Figgy
9 months ago

So I picked the brains of a dermatologist mate about this. An Australian perspective so quite different to a US derm I'd think and probably a very patient/physician oriented thought process - not pharma / small cap mindset. Those caveats aside, he was a little sceptical. Wondered about the potential side effects. I briefly read through some of the data. What is interesting is that using the 5% gel (used in japan) there was a 15% nasopharyngitis and 8.5% dermatitis rate. Smaller numbers but still significant for anticholinergic side effects.

Unless I've read this incorrectly, Brickell used the 15% formulation for the phase III. You can't help but think what the side effect profile might be?

There are alternatives. Injected botox apparently works well but is offered in very limited public clinics and quite expensive in Australia privately. In the US, everything is about the insurer rebates - but Sofpironium Bromide will be easier to use as a topical agent. In the sense its a use it forever and reapply regularly - its the ideal "pharma" product. I don't pretend to know more than the learned comments here already about potential costs to distribute and revenue or the oddity in the FreshTracks deal ... but that's the 2c view from me and my derm buddy.