Forum Topics NCK NCK FY23 Results

Pinned straw:

Added 9 months ago

$NCK report their FY23 results today and, overall, they are pretty decent! Before getting excited, remember that FY23 includes a full year of the Plush acquisition.

510293c3a734968b7a720cc1db62284c727840.png

EPS of 124.8cps is a small beat on concensus of 122cps.

What's encouraging is to see that Gross Margin has increased due to acquisition synergies and easing supply chains offsetting other factors driving the increased CODB.

The darkest point is as follows:

"The second half written sales orders for FY23 were down 16.2% on the prior period. Trading was very volatile over the half although improved in June 2023 where written sales orders totalled $51.5m, up 4.5% on the prior year. Nick Scali brand online written sales orders 2H FY23 of $14.5m were up 14.5% on 2H FY22 with enhancements in the user experience driving growth. Nick Scali brand online written sales orders 1H FY23 of $12.0m were down 27.7% cycling off 1H FY22 where online benefited from temporary store closures due to Covid 19 lockdowns. 

The outlook of a soft July 2023 vs July 2022 is to be expeccted. -8.1% is not bad given the broader macro conditions in discretionary good, particuarly household equipment. While we may be at or towards the peak of the interest rate cycle, for many households we are just at the start of maximum pain as a big chunk of retail spending capacity goes towards higher mortgage bills.

The growth program is on track overall.

Balance sheet is strong, with another chunk of the debt from Plush acquisition being paid down. So cash and deposits of $89m completely offsets long term debt of $89m,

They are maintaining a reasonably conservative stance on dividend payout at 60%, with the final dividend flat cf. last year. It is however an increase of 7.1% at FY. The full year dividend yield is 7% (before franking credits), which is pretty good for a company which continues to be positioned for growth.

Notwithstanding the challenging retail environment, $NCK looks to be in rude health and well positioned to emerge strong through the downturn, as it continues to grow and drives internal efficiency.

At yesterday's closing price of $10.70, $NCK is on a p/e of 8.6 - historically well into its bottom quartile over the last 5 years.

Investor call at 10:00am

$NCK is towards the very bottom of my valuation range, and I am currently underweight. It is on my shortlist to add to, and provided everything is OK on the call, I'll be adding when I can. I know that there may be further to fall in the retail cycle, but I don't mind getting in a bit early with this quality.

Disc: Held in RL (1%) and SM

Remorhaz
9 months ago

NCK was also covered in todays AFR: Record profits for Nick Scali, but retailer warns of slide in orders

For those not behind the paywall ...

Nick Scali boss Anthony Scali says he is bracing for a tougher year ahead, warning that consumers are “very cautious” and spending on big-ticket items such as sofas is coming under pressure.

He did not provide any firm full-year guidance for the new financial year but flagged that July orders fell 8.1 per cent from strong sales in July last year to $39.7 million.

Shares rocketed up 14.5 per cent to $12.26 at lunchtime after the early update to the year was not as bad as the market had feared.

“Consumers are very cautious and looking at the CBA result this week, they talked about savings going up, so that confirms that,” Mr Scali told The Australian Financial Review.

<iframe class="ql-video" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" src="https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/B3XJ5/1/" height="400" data-ss1691809941="1"></iframe>

“We have seen the volatility month by month because the consumer is going through interest rate increases. But unemployment is low. Foot traffic is down, but June was a surprise, so it is all over the place.

“We’re certainly a very highly discretionary product, particularly lounges, [they are] a big-ticket item, so you’ll see that volatility as people get concerned about things like interest rates and inflation.”

His comments came as the retailer topped expectations with sales for the 12-month period rising 15.1 per cent to $507.7 million, pushing net profit after tax to a record $101.1 million.

The double-digit gain in top-line sales was underpinned by increased deliveries, helping to reduce the order book wait time. The year also was boosted by 12 months of revenue contribution from Plush-Think Sofas, which Nick Scali acquired in November 2021.

“We are pleased with the Plush aquisition and integration is complete, and now we are focused on improving sales,” Mr Scali added.

Mr Scali called May a really tough month, with shoppers opting to wait until June for the end-of-financial-year sales when foot traffic jumped.

He said July sales were OK and he did not expect to have to discount to move stock this year.

Statutory net profit after tax (NPAT) rose 34.9 per cent to $101.1 million over 2023, ahead of market expectations of $96.3 million. Underlying NPAT climbed 4.6 per cent.

Group earnings before interest and taxes reached $154.3 million, a 23.8 per cent gain on the year before. The purchase of Plush also helped expand profit margins.

Nick Scali flagged a final dividend of 35¢ per share, in line with a year ago, to be paid on October 18.

However, sales orders in the six months to June 30 were down 16.2 per cent on the prior period amid volatile trading over the half, although they improved in June, when written sales orders totalled $51.5 million – up 4.5 per cent on the prior year.

Mr Scali has returned from a trip to the UK where he was checking out other retailers. Longer term he would like to have a presence, flagging possible acquisitions in future.

“We’d like to be in the UK, but it’s more than likely going to be an acquisition. So, I was there to make sure we understand the market,” he said.

There are 64 Nick Scali stores and 43 Plush stores around the country, with the group planning to open three new Plush stores and one new Nick Scali store by December. The group’s long-term target is to have at least 86 Nick Scali stores and up to 100 Plush stores.

In a note to clients, Citi analyst Sam Teeger said conditions were more difficult in the sector, and it was unsurprising the market expected a 37 per cent fall in NPAT for Nick Scali in the 2024 financial year.

“We expect the stock to be supported today after delivering a better-than-expected FY23 result and July 2023 not being as bad as feared,” he said.

DISC: Held in RL & SM

Strawman
9 months ago

Thanks for the summary @mikebrisy

Nick Scali is really one of the standout retailers. I mean, just look at the dividend history:

83a4668852e9e909d42f993cbb4eb0920a5676.png

Over the last 5 years, the compound growth rate in dividends has been 13.4%pa

At the current price ($10.70), the current yield is 7% fully franked. That's 10% when grossed up! You don't even need growth at that level.

It kind of feels too good to be true. Is the market really that silly? Or just too focused on the short term?

Looking at analyst forecasts on Commsec, there seems to be an expectation that per share earnings will be significantly lower in the current year -- like 38% lower!!

f7ebfd2007ee0ae4e867666dfb94c16241834f.png

First of all, what the hell do analysts know? These forecasts usually prove to be way off base, so we probably shouldn't put too much stock in them.

Still, it's the operating leverage that gets you. If sales drop 15% in FY24, and we apply the same gross margin and fixed costs, pre-tax profit for NCK drops about 35%. And maybe a 15% drop in revenue isn't unreasonable -- especially if higher rates do take a lot of heat out of property and associated expenses such as furniture. When things are tough, you can always defer that new couch.

At the same time, that phenomenon works in the other direction too.

I just tend to think with retailers you need to expect things will be very cyclical. What really matters is the growth through the cycle -- and from that perspective I have extreme confidence that there's nothing structurally wrong with Nick Scali. It's not a bold claim to say they will still be around and prospering in 5, 10 and even 20 years. Even if growth eventually and inevitably moderates as the reach full penetration.

And your point on the PE is a good one. Let's assume the analysts are right and NCK does 76c in EPS this year. Well, that's a forward PE of 14. Yes, that's towards the upper end of their historical range, but far from extreme. Or, let's use dividends. If they have a 70% payout ratio this year, the dividend will be 53c. Which gives you a forward yield of 5%, or 7% grossed up to account for franking credits. Not terrible.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying that for patient and longer term oriented investors, there's a "time arbitrage" play here if you assume a near term economic deterioration. And if such a thing doesn't materialise, or is rather mild, things are just really cheap. Maybe things are worse than what the macro bears suggest -- anything is possible -- but even then I don't see an existential risk. And when we come out the other side there'll likely be a lot of upside.

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@Strawman - that's pretty much how I see it. The uncertainty around the macro environment is amplifying the time horizon arbitrage beyond any reasonable valuation, so I think there could be serious returns to be made by picking the right retailers. I think $NCK is one of them. Equally, the negative operating leverage argument means you don't want to pick the wrong one.

Karmast
9 months ago

Well said @Strawman

I'd go a bit further and say Nick Scali isnt just one of the standout retailers...it's one of the standout stocks on the ASX. Over roughly 20 years it has 10x on share price alone before you even add in the dividends. And why? Because they are such good operators, so well led and take such good care of the retail detail, that they have consistently delivered ROE and ROC of over 50% p.a. for two decades now. There aren't too many other stocks that have that record.

Yet they still have plenty of room to grow, with another 80 local stores planned over the long term, plus potentially any local or international acquisitions on top of that.

I understand things could happen, a recession could happen etc, etc but find me another business this good historically and also likely moving forward, that is on a PE of 8 or Price to Cash Flow of 6.

Very happy holder IRL and on Strawman.