Forum Topics VHT VHT VHT valuation

Pinned valuation:

Added 11 months ago
Justification

Updating my valuation for $VHT arriving at A$1.30/share expected value.

While this is not significantly different from my valuation a few months ago, this one is based on a full 10-year DCF modelling a range of scenarios detailed below, with ratios now derived from two full years of organic growth.

Revenue

While Teri is aiming for Revenue growth of >20%p.a., I consider at range of growth scenarios commencing in FY24 (25%, 22.5%, & 20%) and declining over the explicit period at rates ranging from -1.5% p.a. for the higher starting point down to -0.75% p.a. for the lower.

Expense Ratio

I assume operating leverage from expenses (incl. D&A) rising annually between 8% up to 15% (with the upper end in high revenue growth scenarios). I sense check the 2033 expense/revenue numbers and benchmark against other larger SaaS companies.

Capex

Capex/Revenue is currently low (8.3% and 7.3% last two years), which I think is because capability was acquired via business acquisitions in FY20 and FY21 and because most R&D is being expensed (FY23 Capex / R&D Expense = 15%).

I believe that to deliver the Risk Pathways beyond current diseases AND to leverage the image dataset (e.g. via AI), R&D and Capex will need to rise, so scenarios consider Capex/Revenue ranging from 8% up to 15%, with higher spend tied to higher revenue growth scenarios.

Common Assumptions

• WACC = 11%
  • Terminal Growth Rate = 3%
  • Tax = 30%
  • Lease Payments rise in proportion with Operating Expenses
  • AUD:NZD = 0.93

Results

Model outputs range from $0.67/share up to $2.16/share.

With some simple probabilistic modelling on the scenarios chosen I get a p(10)-p(90) spread of about $0.67-$1.75; p(50)=$1.30

The reason for the wide spread is that we don't have enough organic growth history to understand how well $VHT scales. It will be worth doing an update once FY24 gives another year of organic growth.

Limitations

$VHT will potentially grow faster in the early years at a lower rate of expense and capex growth than modelled (justification: 1) FY22 and FY23 revenue growth were 32% and 34%, respectively and 2) deadline for US FDA mandate on density).

As a result the modelling is probably pessimistic on NPAT and FCF generation in the first 2-3 years and are indeed below "consensus" of 2 analysts with target prices of $1.20).

Illustration of 1 Scenario (chosing one closest to Expected Value)

(Scenario: FY24 rev. growth=22.5%; -1.0% p.a.; FY33 rev. growth= 13.5%; expense growth =7.5% p.a.; capex/revenue = 10%)

0c873a85979f1279e56df6f159163073fa2d25.png

Comment on Market Size (Quick triangulation)

$VHT assess number of US Elephants as 230+. Elephant = ARR>US$0.25m

Assuming 50% elephants are $0.25-$0.50m ($0.375m) and 50% are $0.50-0.75 ($0.625m), US market size of elephants is US$115m. Assuming elephants make up 50% of the market, then US market is US$230 and assuming $US market is 40% of global market, then global market is US$0.6bn. Global radiology software market estimates range from US3-4bn up to as high as $7bn. This would make mammogram image analysis ranging from 8-20% of the total market. Note: mammography has a c, 10% share of the global radiology market, so numbers probably high, but OK for order of magnitude.

At a market CAGR of 6% for imaging software, global mammography software (imaging and analysis) market in 2033 is US1.1bn.

$VHT 20233 revenue in above scenario is NZ$185m = US$110, which is 10% share of global market for software relating to mammography. This is not unreasonable given the assumption that growth is also building out analystics for other diseases.

Conclusion: modelled revenue growth to 2033 should not be market-constrained and neither does it assume market dominance.

Further limitation: analysis has not considered market evolution where Autonomous Reading is widely implemented.

Disclaimer: For illustrative purposes only; not to be taken as advice.

innuendo
11 months ago

Thanks for this @mikebrisy - love the detail.

VHT is one of the companies I've started following recently and am likely to take a stake in shortly. I like the look of their leadership team, balance sheet looks healthy and improving rapidly.

I am curious as to how you arrive at your WACC? Is this entity/industry-specific or do you apply the same rate consistently?

I also didn't come across any info re: on-market buys for the leadership team. Were you tempted to factor this into your valuation at all?

mikebrisy
11 months ago

@innuendo thanks! I start by saying I am not a valuation expert and others who have trained and are qualified will no doubt correct my errors.

For debt free companies, I trend to use a consistent WACC = Cost of Equiity, unless the nature of their equity indicates a different approach is needed. For example, in infrastructure assets, a low COE would is justified, but I don't invest in these businesses so it doesn't apply to me.

At the moment in Australia, I approximate Cost of Equity = Risk Free Rate (4% to 4.5%) plus the equity risk premium of 6%.... so 11% in round numbers.

I also run a check with tables published and kept up to date by Prof. Aswath Damodaran at NYU Stern Link to Tables. From this table you can see significant differences between sectors. While I look at these, I usually prefer the simplicity of a consistent figure. There is then also the whole question of the nature of the country risk exposure. However, as I tend not to invest in companies with high emerging market risk, it is not something I practically worry to0much about.

I prefer to allow for sector- or company-specific risk in the MARGIN OF SAFETY I apply, which usually manifests itself in the width of the range in scenarios I run. So, for example, if you look at my recent $VHT valuation, you can see this is a high risk proposition from the spread in my value estimates.

In valuations of companies that currently run with zero long term debt, I do consider sensitivities if they were to lever up conservatively (e.g., to a 1 x EBITDA). In this case, I use a WACC taking into account the cost of debt and cost of equity. (I did this in my valuations of $WTC earlier this year, because in the long term the stability of cashflow means it will make sense for the company to take on some long-term debt.

I use a WACC that is intended to average out through the monetary cycle. Pre-2021 I tended to use 9-10% for COE, and have shifted up to 11% because, like most, I believe the next decade will be structurally higher on interest rates, and +2% on the long-run, through cycle average rate seems reasonable.

Overall, I also run sensitivies on WACC and Terminal value growth assumptions, because these factors are big sensitivities in the DCF method. In my fully-developed models, I also try to project the NPAT line, so that I can look at the implied p/e over time. I want to make sure that my valuation at the terminal value has a p/e that makes sense. Do this makes the modelling more complicated, but it is great at helping to detect when you modelling has gone off the rails.

In sumary, while I try to understand the complexities and nuances of a rigorous approach, ultimately, I try to keep things as simple as possible, because you can get lulled into a false sense of precision and I don't think the real world works that way.

Above all, in valuation, for me the expected number (or single $/share) is much less important than the range around it and what you have to believe to get those results.

Hope this answers the question.

innuendo
11 months ago

Beautiful. Really appreciate you taking the time to send such a thorough response!

I think I'm on the same page with just about everything you've said - with my own WACC inputs I tend to try and use a "target" long-term debt/equity ratio as opposed to the what it is currently, so I might value something like $VHT on 85/15 ratio, for example. It sounds like you prefer to incorporate in your sensitivities which also makes perfect sense. :)

Thanks again for sharing your thought process behind everything - really helpful.