Forum Topics VHT VHT VHT valuation

Pinned valuation:

Added 9 months ago
Justification

Updating my valuation for $VHT arriving at A$1.30/share expected value.

While this is not significantly different from my valuation a few months ago, this one is based on a full 10-year DCF modelling a range of scenarios detailed below, with ratios now derived from two full years of organic growth.

Revenue

While Teri is aiming for Revenue growth of >20%p.a., I consider at range of growth scenarios commencing in FY24 (25%, 22.5%, & 20%) and declining over the explicit period at rates ranging from -1.5% p.a. for the higher starting point down to -0.75% p.a. for the lower.

Expense Ratio

I assume operating leverage from expenses (incl. D&A) rising annually between 8% up to 15% (with the upper end in high revenue growth scenarios). I sense check the 2033 expense/revenue numbers and benchmark against other larger SaaS companies.

Capex

Capex/Revenue is currently low (8.3% and 7.3% last two years), which I think is because capability was acquired via business acquisitions in FY20 and FY21 and because most R&D is being expensed (FY23 Capex / R&D Expense = 15%).

I believe that to deliver the Risk Pathways beyond current diseases AND to leverage the image dataset (e.g. via AI), R&D and Capex will need to rise, so scenarios consider Capex/Revenue ranging from 8% up to 15%, with higher spend tied to higher revenue growth scenarios.

Common Assumptions

• WACC = 11%
  • Terminal Growth Rate = 3%
  • Tax = 30%
  • Lease Payments rise in proportion with Operating Expenses
  • AUD:NZD = 0.93

Results

Model outputs range from $0.67/share up to $2.16/share.

With some simple probabilistic modelling on the scenarios chosen I get a p(10)-p(90) spread of about $0.67-$1.75; p(50)=$1.30

The reason for the wide spread is that we don't have enough organic growth history to understand how well $VHT scales. It will be worth doing an update once FY24 gives another year of organic growth.

Limitations

$VHT will potentially grow faster in the early years at a lower rate of expense and capex growth than modelled (justification: 1) FY22 and FY23 revenue growth were 32% and 34%, respectively and 2) deadline for US FDA mandate on density).

As a result the modelling is probably pessimistic on NPAT and FCF generation in the first 2-3 years and are indeed below "consensus" of 2 analysts with target prices of $1.20).

Illustration of 1 Scenario (chosing one closest to Expected Value)

(Scenario: FY24 rev. growth=22.5%; -1.0% p.a.; FY33 rev. growth= 13.5%; expense growth =7.5% p.a.; capex/revenue = 10%)

0c873a85979f1279e56df6f159163073fa2d25.png

Comment on Market Size (Quick triangulation)

$VHT assess number of US Elephants as 230+. Elephant = ARR>US$0.25m

Assuming 50% elephants are $0.25-$0.50m ($0.375m) and 50% are $0.50-0.75 ($0.625m), US market size of elephants is US$115m. Assuming elephants make up 50% of the market, then US market is US$230 and assuming $US market is 40% of global market, then global market is US$0.6bn. Global radiology software market estimates range from US3-4bn up to as high as $7bn. This would make mammogram image analysis ranging from 8-20% of the total market. Note: mammography has a c, 10% share of the global radiology market, so numbers probably high, but OK for order of magnitude.

At a market CAGR of 6% for imaging software, global mammography software (imaging and analysis) market in 2033 is US1.1bn.

$VHT 20233 revenue in above scenario is NZ$185m = US$110, which is 10% share of global market for software relating to mammography. This is not unreasonable given the assumption that growth is also building out analystics for other diseases.

Conclusion: modelled revenue growth to 2033 should not be market-constrained and neither does it assume market dominance.

Further limitation: analysis has not considered market evolution where Autonomous Reading is widely implemented.

Disclaimer: For illustrative purposes only; not to be taken as advice.

innuendo
9 months ago

Thanks for this @mikebrisy - love the detail.

VHT is one of the companies I've started following recently and am likely to take a stake in shortly. I like the look of their leadership team, balance sheet looks healthy and improving rapidly.

I am curious as to how you arrive at your WACC? Is this entity/industry-specific or do you apply the same rate consistently?

I also didn't come across any info re: on-market buys for the leadership team. Were you tempted to factor this into your valuation at all?

mikebrisy
9 months ago

@innuendo thanks! I start by saying I am not a valuation expert and others who have trained and are qualified will no doubt correct my errors.

For debt free companies, I trend to use a consistent WACC = Cost of Equiity, unless the nature of their equity indicates a different approach is needed. For example, in infrastructure assets, a low COE would is justified, but I don't invest in these businesses so it doesn't apply to me.

At the moment in Australia, I approximate Cost of Equity = Risk Free Rate (4% to 4.5%) plus the equity risk premium of 6%.... so 11% in round numbers.

I also run a check with tables published and kept up to date by Prof. Aswath Damodaran at NYU Stern Link to Tables. From this table you can see significant differences between sectors. While I look at these, I usually prefer the simplicity of a consistent figure. There is then also the whole question of the nature of the country risk exposure. However, as I tend not to invest in companies with high emerging market risk, it is not something I practically worry to0much about.

I prefer to allow for sector- or company-specific risk in the MARGIN OF SAFETY I apply, which usually manifests itself in the width of the range in scenarios I run. So, for example, if you look at my recent $VHT valuation, you can see this is a high risk proposition from the spread in my value estimates.

In valuations of companies that currently run with zero long term debt, I do consider sensitivities if they were to lever up conservatively (e.g., to a 1 x EBITDA). In this case, I use a WACC taking into account the cost of debt and cost of equity. (I did this in my valuations of $WTC earlier this year, because in the long term the stability of cashflow means it will make sense for the company to take on some long-term debt.

I use a WACC that is intended to average out through the monetary cycle. Pre-2021 I tended to use 9-10% for COE, and have shifted up to 11% because, like most, I believe the next decade will be structurally higher on interest rates, and +2% on the long-run, through cycle average rate seems reasonable.

Overall, I also run sensitivies on WACC and Terminal value growth assumptions, because these factors are big sensitivities in the DCF method. In my fully-developed models, I also try to project the NPAT line, so that I can look at the implied p/e over time. I want to make sure that my valuation at the terminal value has a p/e that makes sense. Do this makes the modelling more complicated, but it is great at helping to detect when you modelling has gone off the rails.

In sumary, while I try to understand the complexities and nuances of a rigorous approach, ultimately, I try to keep things as simple as possible, because you can get lulled into a false sense of precision and I don't think the real world works that way.

Above all, in valuation, for me the expected number (or single $/share) is much less important than the range around it and what you have to believe to get those results.

Hope this answers the question.

innuendo
9 months ago

Beautiful. Really appreciate you taking the time to send such a thorough response!

I think I'm on the same page with just about everything you've said - with my own WACC inputs I tend to try and use a "target" long-term debt/equity ratio as opposed to the what it is currently, so I might value something like $VHT on 85/15 ratio, for example. It sounds like you prefer to incorporate in your sensitivities which also makes perfect sense. :)

Thanks again for sharing your thought process behind everything - really helpful.