Forum Topics ARU ARU Bull Case

Pinned straw:

Added 8 months ago

This is my first post on Strawman. So please let me know if I have not followed the right process or proforma etc. And please let me know your thoughts on any of the points below. This is just a quick summary of a longer report I wrote for myself a couple of months ago with more graphics from different sources etc. 

Why invest in the rare earth mineral sector:

• Governments globally committing to energy transition.
  • Hard to pick winners from the manufacture or operation of solar/wind/electric vehicles sectors. However, they all need minerals to be produced.
  • All the minerals (Copper, Cobalt, Lithium, Aluminium, Graphite and Rare Earths) will see a large upshift in volume. However, due to substitution effects, many of the minerals will only see modest price increases. 
  • However, it is hard to substitute Rare Earths because the magnets produced by rare earths are the highest performing, most efficient for motors. 
  • There is also scarcity of rare earths because there has not been any investment in rare earths for 15 years due to China cornering the rare earth market (85-90%). 
  • Also it takes significant time for rare earth mines to begin production – typically 16 years from discovery to production. 
  • Due to geopolitical reasons/reshoring issues, the western world wants rare earths from safe western alliance countries.

Why ARU?

• ARU is the only major/material rare earth company about to begin production (3 years away).  
  • ARU will be mined and processed near Alice Springs.
  • Low geopolitical risk
  • Mined and processed with high ESG standards when compared to China. Many companies are looking for ethical mineral supply. This is likely to increase over time.
  • Location is near Alice Springs which makes it easier to:
  • Attract quality staff (ie close to town with schools etc.)
  • Road/Rail infrastructure is close by reducing capex/opex
  • Cornerstone investor – Gina Rinehart ($60m at a SP of $0.37 for 10% of ARU). 
  • Initial Offtakes almost complete:

9b68c2812c2201841b5149a50e4702535cf6e7.png

• Financial Investment Decision due soon.
  • Capital Raise completed with establishment works underway.
  • Not likely to be another Capital Raise unless there are cost overruns (this would be known around mid 2025).

Valuing ARU - #valuation

ARU’s Definitive Feasibility Study (DFS) used the following assumptions:

• Capex of $1b including contingency
  • Opex of US $25.94 /kg (this is considered very low for NdPr globally)
  • Mine life of 23 years
  • Discount rate of 10%
  • NdPr priced at US $ 67 -90 /kg over the life of the mine
  • Annual production of 4,357 tonnes

They get an NPV of A $729 million which would equate to a SP of about $0.30 - $0.40.  Current SP is about $0.25. Breakeven would mean the NdPr price is around US $55 /kg.

However, if you look at the following NdPr prices and corresponding NPV/SP you can see how sensitive it is (note all approx.).

b09b3940ed638ff5349809134a0d32e31256e8.png

So we need to look at the long term pricing of NdPr.

Some factors at play:

• The geopolitical two-tier pricing of NdPr will likely mean ARU will get a premium for being ex China supply. Not in the short term because the companies signing up to the initial offtake agreements know they can source their NdPr from China. But in the long term ARU should be able to charge a premium. 
  • ARU will also get a premium for its strong ESG. Most of China’s supply are from African and Myanmar where health, safety and environmental concerns are largely ignored. 
  • Energy Transition rate of progress forecast means there is a massive supply gap of NdPr. Currently neodymium has global revenue of approx. $0.5 billion in 2022. And By 2030 this is expected to be $7 billion. This is a x15 increase in 7 years!!!
  • Due to the historic lack of investment in rare earths, it will take at least 10 years for the market to bring new mines online into production. 

So the current NdPr price of around US $80/kg could be considered low. 

Since Strawman asks for a valuation, I believe that in the near term (ie next six month or when Financial Investment Decision/Finance is achieved) ARU should be valued at about $0.70 – 0.90.  I think during construction the market will probably get bored…and then the SP could fade. Also there is the risk of cost overruns or delays. So that may also cause downward pressure on the SP.  But once production begins and ARU is ramped up….I believe that a SP of around $1.20 is realistic. This would be around 2027. 

Key risks

• Key risks are that China will push down rare earth prices. This has happened to the NdPr prices over the last 6 months (US $145 /kg to around US $70 /kg) and is most likely to happen again to try to dissuade investment in new rare earth projects. But geopolitics should create a two tier rare earth market. China/Russia and Western Alliance countries. Western Alliance country rare earths prices should go very high in the next 10 years until other western sources can be brought online. 
  • Another key risk is if governments decide to slow down the energy transition. This is unlikely, but even if they slow it down, rare earths will be in high demand. 
  • Substitution is also a risk, but the magnets produced by rare earths are the highest performing, most efficient for motors. There is a cost/benefit calculation when substituting rare earths for less effective alloys (like Elon Musk’s recent comments about Ferrite in their motors). But that price point should be quite high unless they can find a larger/lighter form of battery. Which would be 10-15 years away from commercial viability…if they discovered now. 

Other considerations:

• The initial offtake agreements appear to be linked to the China supply prices. So we need to think about what China is likely to do. China is going to need to re-start their economy. And they are likely to invest in projects that decarbonise their industries. Thus the internal NdPr demand is likely to be high. 
  • China has also previously restricted supply of NdPr to Japan over a dispute. If this were to happen again, then ex China NdPr prices will rise massively. 
  • Other sources of revenue could also increase revenue such as processing other rare earths for other businesses (lots of Australian mineral sand companies could use this processing plant). There have already been some ARU announcements regarding this. This has not been included in the valuation analysis above. 
  • Mines have typical investment patterns. I forget the term for it. But right now we are in the down turn waiting for the FID/Financing. There is likely to be a jump in SP when that happens. Management have previously said FID/Finance was to be done by end of June 2023. That came and went. And the SP is getting punished. They have now said second half of 2023. Having worked on large deals with many different sources of funding, I can understand why it is taking a long time. Also they are dealing with Credit Export Agencies from respective countries.  There is also another likely down turn before the plant is built and production begins. Especially if there are delays. 

Conclusion:

• I think ARU has great potential in the near and long term. 
  • I think it is currently undervalued.
  • I think in the next six months it will move up rapidly from the current $0.25 to around $0.70.
  • In the next three years could downward trend before it begins production.
  • Then once steady state production is achieved (about 4-5 years from now) it should start producing healthy dividends. 

Cheers

Parko

Strawman
8 months ago

Love it @Parko5, and welcome!

Some may not agree with the outlook for this space -- which is great, we're in trouble if we suffer too much group think -- but people will always appreciate it when someone takes the time to provide a clear and detailed breakdown of their thinking.

Keep up the great work.

Parko5
8 months ago

Thanks @Strawman . I would love to hear the counter views for this space and Rare Earths.

Cheers

Parko

loshell
8 months ago

@Parko5 Welcome + great first straw!

I'll parrot a counter argument against ARU that I've heard made by a few folks (inc. the widely respected + mining-knowledgeable analyst/investor Gaurav Sodhi over at Intelligent Investor), which is that a lot of the value to be found in rare earths is associated with the processing of what's dug out of the ground into industrially-usable oxides.

There is significant intellectual property/know how required to do this well at scale, and the significant R&D + investments Lynas (LYC) has had to make over an extended period of time to get good at it are held up as evidence of the point. These folks argue for investing in the proven operator (Lynas) to avoid all the risk of an up-and-comer having to learn the hard way and likely burn lots of capital/time doing so.

Having said that, the back up plan possibility of ARU being able to leverage Lynas' know-how by contracting them to do the processing at their Kalgoorlie plant is potentially interesting for both parties if ARU fall flat on their face and assuming Lynas have spare processing capacity.

I took a ~1% starter position in Lynas earlier this year when it bottomed out, and have been watching ARU bounce around. I'm inclined to agree with your assessment that ARU is currently undervalued given likely longer-term oxide price expectations, and have been considering the strategy of dual-holding both LYC and ARU (with a bigger tilt towards LYC). The thinking is that if ARU succeed in all their currently planned endeavours, they will indeed be doing well and all will be great, but if they have to pull the rip cord and go with a plan B (i.e. the above collaboration comes to pass), it would be value accretive gravy for LYC and would de-risk ARU + still get them reasonable coin for their oxides.

Parko5
8 months ago

Hi @loshell

Thanks for the reply. And sorry for the slow response. The surf was super fun this morning. 

I have previously done some research on processing of rare earths. And you are right, it is quite complex. Rare earth elements all have different boiling points and react in different ways to different acids and other chemicals. So I believe that each rare earth aggregate that comes out of the ground requires proprietary processing methods/chemicals.  

There is def value in having a proven treatment process for a rare earth company. And I know that ARU is not in production yet, but part of the reason why ARU has taken 16+ years to get to this point (almost financed and construction begins), was the development and proving of the rare earth processing method and commercial viability of that process. There have been various announcements up to about 2020 that show the progress of their process/technology. The ARU announcement on the 18 Sept 2020 “HIGH-QUALITY RARE EARTH PRODUCTS FROM NOLANS VALIDATED BY SUPPLY CHAIN PARTNERS ( https://wcsecure.weblink.com.au/pdf/ARU/02282304.pdf ) gave me comfort that ARU are on top of the process. 

But a question that I have never been able to get an answer, is the ability for rare earth processing plants to be able to accept rare earth aggregates from other locations? I assume with some adaption to the processing plant; some other rare earth aggregates could be processed? I spent quite a bit of time researching this and came up with no answers. So I’m not sure that ARU could sent their aggregate to Lynas. Or if ARU could actually accept some of these other mineral sand companies within Australia. 

But in answer to your question regarding risk in the ARU processing, I have a relatively high confidence that ARU are on top of the process to extract rare earths. But I guess the proof will be in the NdPr “Pudding”.  :-) Also I think the next big news from ARU that should see the SP jump up, will be the Financial Investment Decision/Finance Locked in. I don’t think the market will be thinking about the risk of the processing plant. But the SP will then fade towards start of production, where cost over runs/delays/risk of process not working will weigh on investors minds. 

I have also been looking at Lynas for a while. And I think there are still large risks with their new processing plant being built (although I have not reviewed this for about 4 weeks). Also in the longer term, they will have a higher cost to produce NdPr (I can’t find my source for this, but intuitively, having processing plant in a different country will make it more costly). Whereas ARU appear to have the lowest cost from any ex China producer. From the ARU Nolans DFS Report dated 7 Feb 2019, the report says on page 1 – “The outstanding result from the study is the ultra-low operating cost of US$25.94/kg of NdPr oxide placing Arafura firmly in the lowest cost quartile for NdPr operations globally.”

But I think you are right, having investment in both is probably a good idea.  

Parko

loshell
8 months ago

A morning surfathon sounds way better than my morning full-o-meetings! I'd have stayed out at the beach and not come back to my screen :D

> [..] but part of the reason why ARU has taken 16+ years to get to this point (almost financed and construction begins), was the development and proving of the rare earth processing method and commercial viability of that process.

Yes but the key phrase missing from the end of that sentence is "at scale". It all may go swimingly, but the transition of a process from proof-of-viability to viable-at-scale does not always go in a straight line, and probably more often than not takes a detour through Timbuktu.

Given the absence of insider visibility and any direct expertise on any of this, my default assumption is that they'll run into various unexpected landmines similar to those who have gone before them.

> But a question that I have never been able to get an answer, is the ability for rare earth processing plants to be able to accept rare earth aggregates from other locations?

That is a multi-faceted question spanning at least logistics, geology, industrial process and chemistry.

I think the logistics piece is in place i.e. there is rail freight available between Alice Springs and Kalgoorlie.

I can only speculate about the other facets.

On the industrial process side, I would expect that it would be straight forward for ARU to adapt what they shipped another processing plant to meet whatever requirements exist for the plant's inputs.

On the geology side, my limited understanding would suggest there is overlap between the types of deposits at Mt Weld and Nolans such that you could expect the extraction chemistry to be applicable to inputs sourced from either location, modulo some tuning for the different specific ore types and concentrations of the target compounds.

Also worth noting that China-based extraction operators have been able to accept raw ore from diverse mines and extract the goodies, so while perhaps not tailored for maximum extraction efficiency, there is existence proof that it's doable. Whether Lynas have tailored their Kalgoorlie plant to be finely tuned for Mt Weld inputs and would refuse to process different inputs is unclear.

That's the only additional semi-useful commentary I can add. Bring on some tasty NdPr pudding!