Forum Topics AVR AVR Management

Pinned straw:

Last edited 8 months ago

c885577d79f2433a529e5132c6b5cbd05073cd.jpeg

No Time to Die

Alan Kohler has done another great interview with Anteris CEO Wayne Paterson in a follow-up to his April 2022 conversation which I recently reposted about here. It’s all good news. Again, Paterson performs well against a seasoned and objective interviewer.

However, I have to share this disquieting sensation I have. I’ll preface it by saying I think it is unimportant and influenced by the following factors which I will issue as disclaimers here:

• I’m not the intended audience — I’ve hunted this information and am very familiar with this story and have been for a few years now;
  • I read (so as not to wake my wife) the interview rather than listened to it;
  • I have written here before about the differences between good business planning and the structure of fictional narrative; and
  • I’ll concede there is something of a thematic continuance with my following observation and my previous post on Kohler’s earlier interview…

But Paterson, to me, is sounding like a Bond villain now. He has that unflappable confidence, engaging in all this exposition about this plan that will enrich him in a manner involving the repeated use of the word ‘billions’. We are so close to the end of this piece now. I’m just hoping there is no one lurking around the corner about to disrupt us by pulling the rug from under our feet. Why do I need to keep reminding myself that we’re the good guys?

For those already over the paywall, or interested in the 15 day free trial, here is the link:

https://www.eurekareport.com.au/investment-news/anteris-heart-valve-draws-rivals-in-10-billion-market/

PabloEskyBruh
8 months ago

Just imagine saying some of this stuff to any online ASX retail investor forum and hoping to retain any amount of credibility. You just can’t. Which means, thankfully, this talk — and thoughts like it — are aimed at someone else. This is the pitch that decision makers at Johnson & Johnson (and the like) are meant to hear:

abeee18b66cfb20e1f3220c79b10958532adba.jpeg

2c744686b24ac850e1b436dff15f5be82f6ae2.jpeg

Slideup
8 months ago

@PabloEskyBruh yeah I see what you mean about the bond villan vibe and the belief that 100% positive outcome is the only possible scenario for them. I am starting to come around to his viewpoint though. They definately have what looks like a clinically superior device, and this a pretty strong position to negotiate from.

I think having the 12 month data from the initial patients, who all have had no complications at each checkup point, and are still having a very good outcome. This reduces the risk of valve failure at least over the initial 1-2 yr period. It would be interesting to know what their internal belief is on lifespan of the material used in the anteris valve is and at what timepoint if at all a replacement valve would be needed.

The flow chamber demontrations of how the valve works and how backflow pressure is minimised and is much more comparable to a real heart than any of the existing valve products was an initial positive, but for this to then be backed up in the actual patients does provide a high degree of confidence that they have a market leading device that could easily supercede the use of the existing devices. As I doubt you could continue to use the outdated products from a medical ethics perspective give the lower quality of life outcome and need to be replaced in he future.

The successful valve in valve replacement trials is also a real positive and further demontrates the market need and use of their product. The description of how their valves are placed inside the degraded 2nd replaced valve through a leg catheter without being able to remove the debri left from the 1st two valves, and after the surgery they walk out with better health stats than when they had the previous valve installed.

My main crux with this is still the cash burn rate and how much of the value is linked to either a sale or a much longer term (>3yrs) commercial launch. I am expecting a cap raise announcement at some stage from them and a nice narratve helps this out. I have a feeling this might be one that I watch and almost buy and then regret not buying when they end up selling themselves to Edwards or Medtronic for 10x the current price.

PabloEskyBruh
8 months ago

Agreed @Slideup, and for the record I’m a 100% convert on his conviction these days. Thankfully, life really doesn’t imitate art and I don’t think Mr Bond is going to able to switch the laser off on us in time.

Speaking of time, Paterson has made the point before that it for Anteris the 30 day data (or even 24 hours post-op) is its selling point. The material itself (the ADAPT) platform has already demonstrated longevity and superior calcification-resistance over multiple years in other applications — so personally I think there is a genuine belief amongst Paterson and the advisory board that they won’t be finding themselves in any position such as Abbott recently experienced with Triumph.

Re cash-burn, I remain thoroughly unconcerned. My valuation accounts for a doubling of the 15 million share registry over a 5 year period. At today’s prices that’s over $300 million — or about 6 years cash at current cash burn. But also for the record, I don’t think the cash is going to be coming from today’s price. I think the $24 (of last cap raise and current unlisted options) will be the starting point, then much higher from there.

I think if you like the product and are impressed by the science at this point — and your main concern is cash — then it is a good time to get aboard the no-regrets express. I would welcome the company!