Forum Topics DSE DSE Charif Meeting

Pinned straw:

Added 8 months ago

I really like Dropsuite's CEO Charif, who comes across as a very straight shooter.

He strikes me as very customer focused, with their solutions aiming to solve genuine issues for customers. There appear to be genuine tailwinds for the sector too, and he seems to be thinking well beyond the next reporting period.

A few comments underscored the discipline in capital allocation decisions. There's a big pile of cash that is there waiting to be deployed, but they have walked away from a few opportunities (usually a good sign of a discerning buyer) and it's very much about building complimentary offerings aligned with the core value prop.

As he emphasised last year when we spoke with him, they were focused on viability and cash flows "before it was in vogue" and plan to remain self funded going forward.

I thought his response to the potential threat of Microsoft's backup solution was sound, and pretty much matched with the observations made by other Strawman members. It certainly doesn't strike me as an existential threat in any way.

There is, or at least was, a lot of hype around SaaS and the associated economics on the ASX, but this is a genuine SaaS business with all the characteristics you like to see. Not just sticky, high margin revenue, but excellent cash conversion.

And, of course, he's very aligned, with over 33m shares he's easily one of the largest individual shareholders, and is very long standing having been in the role for over ten years.

At 6x ARR, or roughly 80x EV/EBITDA, shares are hardly cheap in any traditional sense. But the growth is strong and consistent, and there's a long runway ahead.

Disc. Held (but not as much as i'd like)

mikebrisy
8 months ago

@Strawman I agree with your remarks about Charif. My main takeaways from the session in addtion were:

• On $MSFT threat arising from features in Syntex, one driver of the incentive for MSPs (apart from the technical / security argument) was that margins offered by $MSFT are thin, and so MSPs are continually looking to broaden their offering to customers. So they have a commercial incentive to have it in their portfolio offering, and to sell it.
  • $DSE are finding that Compliance Archiving is a big driver for customers in several industries facing increasingly stringent legal/regulatory demands. Functionality to deliver this offers incremental margin as well as gives assurance to customers that they can extract the required data from the host cloud platform (because it is archived separately in the first place).
  • $DSE are laser-focused on their Partner channel to market (either distributors-to-MSPs and to MSPs directly). Hence, you can't access $DSE tools via the $MSFT Store or the $QBO store. That was why I asked the question about $INTU. By making the partners the unique channel, they are making their partners strong (even if the channel via the "stores" might not be available... don't know about this).
  • Customer concentration: Top 10 IT-distributors are 65% revenue and they are constantly working to diversify this. (I'd love to know the top-3 %: if that's 50% then the concentration is very high.)

On the $MSFT threat, I was listening to @Strawman and Scott Philips on the MF Money podcast over the weekend, and there was an interesting discussion about $RMD, which I thought is also helpful in the context of $DSE. Basically, all of our businesses (apart from those natural, regulated monopolies I don't invest in) face competitive threats, both from similar products and potentially disruptive technologies. But we don't sell them all and just invest in safe monopolies with boring regulated returns.

Because there can be a tendancy not to focus on the competitive landscape when analysing companies, whenever there is newsflow of a new competitive or technological threat, there is a tendancy to consider this against a "zero baseline", when in actual fact it is often just yet another piece of a complex and constantly dynamic competitive landscape.

Clearly, there is a balance to be struck in weighing changes in the technological and competitive landscap, and it is important not to be blinkered. But the word is balance.

Whether it is Syntex or GLP-1s, both are new factors for me to monitor on the competitive environments of $DSE and $RMD, respectively. But that is a very different response than either marking down the value of the shares or, worse still, selling the shares (as many have).

I remain a happy holder of $DSE and would consider adding to my small position over time as they continue to deliver.