Forum Topics OCL OCL Comparison to Altium

Pinned straw:

Added 7 months ago

Objective/Altium comparison

I have been doing a comparison of Objective (OCL) to Altium (ALU) as they are both high quality software companies that have shown good growth over the last 10 years. Both business I have been following for some time. Whilst in very different industries they both have excellent recurring revenues and stable management.

Differences/Quality

• OCL is a software provider to government mainly, whilst ALU provides software to design circuit boards to industry.
  • ALU has many more clients and is a lot more diversified in my opinion than OCL, who concentrates on govt, which is sticky but the loss of a large customer could be a huge headwind.
  • Both have great management but OCL seems to be run by a CEO who has a lot of control, whereas ALU has an experienced diversified board. OCL almost runs as a private company, where ALU is engaged with the market and transparent.
  • ALU has had a great year in FY23 growing at almost 20% where OCL's revenue has been pretty flat.
  • OCL is forecasting 15% growth over the next few years and ALU's USD500m target indicates growth of around 25% out to 2026

Valuation

Assuming management of both companies can achieve their target growth, then by 2026 ALU will be on a PE of 24 assuming a NPAT margin of 29% and OCL will be on a PE of 22 assuming the same margin. I have used OCL's updated financial model to capitalise R&D and am assuming they are similar in this way. Share price of OCL is $11 and ALU $42 at this time.

Conclusion

Whilst both are very high quality businesses and should provide good returns if they can meet their targets, ALU to me is more attractive and better value at these levels. ALU is likely to grow more than 50% faster than OCL and is on a similar multiple three years out to OCL. ALU is a more diversified business with a more mature board and is more transparent with the market.

actionman
7 months ago

@LifeCapital another difference between Objective and Altium is the go-to-market model.

Altium has a "digital go to market" strategy with an online store where you buy Altium Designer and 365. Obviously scaling Altium could be fast and low cost assuming it has found excellent product-market fit and they can be a leader in the field.

Objective is effectively selling "line of business" systems to government which can imply high cost of sale and then significant services to configure and integrate them. Government cloud can be a minefield with different security requirements depending on the jurisdiction or department which takes time to get agreed and implemented. E.g. Objective News Release in May 2022 announced the NZ Firearms Registry contract win, but this news story indicates the solution didn't go live until June 2023 https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/492332/firearms-registry-to-launch-this-week-nearly-four-years-after-it-was-proposed.

The risk with any software company is they can get stuck in a really competitive market space and their profit never really gets a big inflection because of the need to continue to invest in sales, marketing and R&D. I think with Objective Corp, the thing to watch is their operating margin which went backwards slightly last FY on a small increase in revenue.

LifeCapital
7 months ago

Great points actionman. Not sure, but I think there is a possibility that Objective could loose a large contract, which could impact their revenue. Of course their business would be very sticky, but this may be something that isn’t been priced in at the current multiple.

They don’t provide much or any detail on their competitors and customer concentration in their presentations.