Forum Topics CSL CSL Capital Markets Day (CMD)

Pinned straw:

Added 7 months ago

I'm just out of $CSL's capital markets day and, as ever, the deep dive into each of the three businesses and the R&D portfolio always leaves me in awe of what a tremendous business this is and the breadth and depth of talent on the management team. There are too many moving parts to summarise the day effectively and, I work on the basis that anyone who was so motivated would have been there anyway. So, instead, I'll pull a few selected slides from the deck with a brief explanation of what they said to me.

My Key Take Aways from the Day

• $CSL will sustainably grow earnings at double digits annually for the foreseeable future. FY24 guidance was re-affirmed.
  • It continues to sustain its R&D pipeline with new discoveries, with several exciting near-term, late-stage milestones for FY24
  • Gross margin and ROIC will progressively improve year on year over the coming 3-5 years or so, driven by a program of efficiency improvements to drive plasma recovery, a period of 3-years of reduced capex and debt moving back to 2 x EBITDA by EOFY24.
  • Overall, revenue will be driven by the tailwind of ageing populations in developed markets; label expansions of the existing portfolio; growth of recently launched products; and new approvals expected.
  • The company has a framework for disciplined capital allocation, focused on sustaining growth while increasing shareholder returns over time

Today was Paul McKenzie's first outing as CEO for Capital Market's Day. He did a good job topping and tailing the day, supporting his team in the Q&A, and letting the team do the heavy lifting as you'd expect. As far as I am concerned, he did a good job and the first test will be meeting or beating FY24 guidance.

Capital Discipline

I start with Fig.1 the framework for capital discipline presented by CFO Joy Linton.

Figure 1

faf0450e1e17310cec20a1436970f22753477c.png

$CSL continues to invest strongly for growth. The next several years will be some transitionary points:

• A progressive return to pre-COVID %GM in the plasma business, with a promise to grow margins beyond these levels as a result of a range of investment in IT and manufacturing technology to reduce CPL (costs per litre) at the collection stage and increase plasma yield through manufactuing. This isn't something that just happens, and the team outlined some of the details of improvements being made in the collection centres and in the plasma extraction processes.
  • A reduction in capex of c. 30% over the next three years. This follows the completion of a major program of new facility investments over recent years
  • NPATA growth allowing the debit required for the Vifor acquisition to be reduced back to the target level of < 2 x EBITDA - a conservative position that should retain investment grade credit rating.

Revenue Growth

$CSL expects to grow strongly across all its businesses. The positioning of each of the three businesses and the market opportunities are summarised in Fig. 2.

Importantly, many of the conditions for $CSLs treatments are related to ageing, so there remains a long-term trend of ageing over the coming decades in developed markets, then to be followed in the future in the middle income countries. Even in developed markets, there is a significant variation in uptake of $CSL products, so there is significant opportunity in driving product use to a more uniform adoption of the standard of care in the most advanced markets. New indications for existing products come on top of that.

In summary, there are many levers for growth offset of course by competition and new tharapies, of which GLP-1s are just one of many.

Figure 2

5bf3649556e47f2a1a17b8edfd80c6cf8f0841.png

Although the story for Iron (i.e. Vifor) was perhaps less confident (from my perspective) with indications that progress may be lumpy, this is more down to the uncertainty of how rapidly the growth of Injectafer will take off following approval for Heart Failure in the US and the approval of Ferinject in China, offset by the launch of generic competition from Sandoz (CEO Paul McKenzie emphasised that generic competition was in the acquisition case, but I sense that with the manufacturing challenges of the drug, Sandoz has perhaps been a bit faster out of the blocks than expected).

Of course it is important to remember that adding treatments for renal failure and CKD complements $CSL's other therapy areas, so Vifor is as much about building capability as it is about buying a portfolio of drugs. CFO Joy Linton summed it up when she pointed out that CSL's prior acquisitions have usually taken several years before their promise has materialised, pointing to the 3 years it took for the value of Sequirus (acquired from Novartis) to show through.

We've recently heard how $CSL has been in the gun sights from analysts and commentators from GLP-1 FLOW clinical trial. Head of R&D Bill Mazzanotte addressed this in his opening remarks. He pointed out that cardi-vascular diseases are of a "multi-dimensional and complex nature". By this, he means that there are many diseases within the category, and for each disease there are many indications according to patient profile, disease type and stage of advancement. Reflecting on the hype around GLP-1s, Bill pointed out that 25 years ago Statins were emerging and commentators were saying that would be the end of cardiovascular disease and the existing drugs that treated them. "It didn't happen," he said. He further added that there are many drivers of renal disease, and that weight is not an independent driver (a bit like we've debated here on OSA). While he accepted there will be an impact he considered it to be a small impact on a small part of the portfolio. He summarised by saying "I am proud of the scientists who have done the work. I am grateful that patients have a new opportunity. But I am confident of our product and R&D portfolio."

From that respect, today was good for my general well-being. Having a day immersed in the CSL portfolio reminded me (as a non-clinician) just how complex and multi-faceted disease is, and how vast the array of treatments and modes of action are. It is highly, highly unlikley that any one mode of therapeutic action is going to be a "silver bullet."

R&D Portfolio

Bill Mazzanotte gave an update on R&D. At the headline level, several new candiates were added to the Phase 1 pipeline from different CSL "platforms" across the therapy areas; several drugs advanced throught the pipeline; and several candidates were dropped. Fig 3 shows the FY23 progress in the R&D portfolio and Fig 4 shows the updated portfolio and fig. 5 shows the key expected milestones for the next three years. (I'll be interested to read some of the broker notes on this, particularly GS, whose global healthcare desk will no doubt do a detailed analysis, considering similar developments across the competition. That's more than I can ever do! Chris Cooper asked several questions during the day, so I am sure there will be an update.)

Figure 3 FY23 Progress

37e7ddd97411fb00e57806b7e4e08f18b16d9e.png

Figure 4

d09656cb41282bead119e2873e3a2f16851c3f.png

Figure 5 FY24 R&D Milestones

bb837a6412c6f7487bdbf4f18e2f861410a61a.png

Key milestones are Garadacimab approvals decisions, and Phase III results of CSL112.

Articificial Intelligence and IT Generally

Chief Information and Digital Officer Mark Hill gave a short and interesting presentation of how $CSL is using IT to drive value both in R&D and Operations.

Mark who is a IT veteran of four decades in industry made the following remarks which stood out. First "AI is here to stay, and it is bigger than the internet" and second, it is "difficult to harness because the speed of innovation is faster than anything we have seen."

However, this wasn't a buzzword-hype presentation. On the contrary, Mark gave practical examples of the kind of things that $CSL are applying generative AI to, and they have even built an internal accelerator to innovate, test and then deploy useful applications. ("No one need write meeting minutes again")

I'm calling out this segment because I think across industries, AI - like digital before it and ongoing - will lead to capabilities that the best companies will figure out how to use, and then gain benefits from so doing. Some will succeed, others will be left behind.

And as @Strawman said in the last episode of Baby Giants podcast, if I recall correctly, in quoting Warren Buffet, AI will be like attending a parade, where some stand on a box to get a better view. But eventually, everyone is standing on a box, so no-one has a better view.

From a competitive perspective, however, some get on taller boxes and they get up earlier. From today's presentation it looks like CSL is taking this seriously and is unlikely to be left behind.

Guidance Re-Affirmed

I guess the good news about today is that there was no bad news. Guidance is intact, and the team sounds like they have clear plans in place to drive forward on the margin improvements that are under their control.

Figure 6; Guidance Re-Affirmed

58fbbd93d5ace5d09513614841619a1112ccf8.png

I started my career in industry working in big pharma over 30 years ago, and attended many management updates on the progress of the commercial and R&D portfolios. Today felt strangely familiar. $CSL is a global leader taking stock of where it stands, and laying out its plans to continue to grow more strongly than the industry. I'm pretty confident they will continue to succeed and was impressed by each of the presenters today. This is a business that doesn't depend on single CEO and I've no doubt that anyone of the key executives presenting today could take the ship forward if they needed to. That said, Paul McKenzie did a good job, and came across as a very competent team captain.

Disc: Held in RL and SM

thunderhead
7 months ago
Remorhaz
7 months ago

As ever @mikebrisy's extremely thoughtful and detailed notes are not to be missed

Possibly the only concept I could add on what Mike has already covered was something I picked up in one of todays AFR articles covering CSL - that of CSL's belief that an ageing population will also help shield its business from any fallout from the explosion in Ozempic-style drugs used off-label to treat weight loss, and potentially undermining its investment in therapies

CSL sees greying population as saviour in Ozempic battle

... plus some other articles in the AFR today:

CSL boss has four key messages for investors

... First, CSL is still a growth machine that can increase earnings at double-digit rates over the medium term, which will help lift returns on invested capital over time. He outlined a string of new products that are near the end of trials, including a new flu vaccine and a product for acute bleeding from traumatic injuries

Second, margins in the Behring business will turn around over the next few years as promised through new donor payment structures, changes in collection technology and better yield (more products per litre of blood)

Third, Vifor can ward off the threat of competition to Ferinject. That’s in part because CSL is well-prepared for the loss of exclusivity, although generic competition looks limited at this stage, which the company hopes will limit price and profit erosion

The company is also excited about the use of the drug in a new process called patient blood management, which the World Health Organisation is now recommending to reduce the need for blood transfusions for patients with existing conditions who need surgery. CSL says it is already generating $US1 billion ($1.58 billion) in revenue from this business, and more growth is possible ...

Investors side with CSL after Ozempic rebuttal

What’s been eating CSL? Blue chip company feels the Ozempic effect

Remorhaz
7 months ago

FWIW updated research reports for CSL have come out overnight from all the major investment banks - RBC (SP PT $309), BOFA, JPM (Overweight PT $320), MACQ (Outperform PT $321), GS (PT $296) and UBS (Buy PT $340) - havn't had a chance to read any of them yet

@mikebrisy you mentioned being particularly interested in Chris Cooper's (GS) thoughts (GS's report appears to be the most detailed also running in at 10 pages)

DISC: Held in RL

mikebrisy
7 months ago

@Remorhaz the GS note is a summary of insights from the meeting - they don't yet appear to have updated the valuation, as $296 was pre-existing (they've been flat between $305 and $291 over the last two years, which is not bad considering the increase in the discount rate.)

Key messages (quite close to mine): Overall - near-term margin risk skewed to upside; execution on operational initiatives and new launches key to long-term ROIC

• Sequirus: A clear R&D focus across aQIVc and sa-mRNA
  • Vifor: Choppy profile in near-term but >10% mid-term sales targets still stand
  • Behring: Various lever to reduce CPL, less capital-intensive growth ahead
  • Financials: Mid-term margin recovery on track; ROIC to reach 20% by end-decade

Solvetheriddle
7 months ago

@mikebrisy im in awe (again) how you manage to get a CSL and a DSE notes out so fast, i struggled today.

good notes on CSL, and you can see their strengths, develop a drug, increase indications, get international approvals roll it out, repeat.

the negatives i took, like you were some wobbly comments on Vifor, i think it will take a few years to "CSL" it. im not too sure on the French guy.

the level of variable debt i did not like, looks like $3.4b by my est, need to get this down asap. which i am sure they will do, may hurt meantime.

the big IG engine looks to be turning, peak cost in 3/22 means we should start to see CSL soon cycling the negative margin impact in Behring, if you take their statements on margins and rev growth over the next few years on face value, its a huge + profit increment, will take time.

the comments on GLP-1 were interesting and sensible at this juncture

disc held

mikebrisy
7 months ago

Thanks @Solvetheriddle (and @Strawman)

I try to sit for 10-30 minutes after the call and get the notes down, otherwise I'll never get to it. Its my way of consolidating what it all means for me. The analysis (like $DSE) is usually quick, because the work is done in the preparaion, knowing what to look for, and just adding the new numbers to the historical trend. Because of this I wasn't even caught out by the misprint in the release, which then led to it being re-released! (I always do the numbers before I read the release).

Anyways,... to your comments:

1. Agree about Vifor CEO. In part it might just be a language/cultural thing. We are just over a year after the acquisition, so between 1 and 2 years is the key exit time for senior execs who didn't fit, but also who didn't leave immediately. So if he is here this time next year, then my guess is that Paul's decided he's a keeper. The important thing is whether they've integrated Vifor into the consolidated global R&D organisation. From one of the R&D slides, its not clear to me that they have. They will need to at some point, quite soon I'd think. So that might be a catalyst for further change.
  2. On debt, I expect the variable debt will be prioritised for paying down. Overall, I thought their cost of debt and overall tenor looked OK, but the variable bit will be painful as long as its there, and Joy made clear that they are carrying more than is their appetite.
  3. On GLP-1's what else can they say, I geuss? I do remember that when Statins came out they turbocharged Merck's SP, and then Zeneca (my employer at the time came out with one) and that was a SP catalyst as well. Of course, over the years there have been a whole bunch of statins with several multi-billion dollar blockbusters, and they now make up about 30-40% of the market for cardiovascular drugs. But they actually did this by EXPANDING the total market. For example, a pre-existing class of drugs, the ACE-inhibitors (which I used to manufacture) continue to grow at a CAGR of 8%, even though they are part of the broader market for cardiovascular drugs.

So, I'm happy to forget about CSL, until FY24.

On valuation, while it is good value on a historical basis, it doesn't look so cheap when compared with global big pharma. (Albeit there is the Aussie-premium that @Strawman referred to, which for now has somewhat unwound.)

In the discussion today on ROIC, Joy Linton said she felt that getting back to ROIC of 25% historically was probably too high and that 20% is probably where they are headed. I expect Chris Cooper to pick up on this in his next note. However, they are by no means high in the peer group (ROE shown in table below.) Still, if they can sustain growth at a multiple of WACC by investing strongly, e.g., to keep earnings growing at 15-20% p.a. ad infinitum, then I'll be a happy camper.

You can see in the table below that GLP-1s have put the rocket under $NOVO's outlook, but put them to one side, and $CSL doesn't look too bad but still by no means cheap.

0467722cf7a7d1052b526360b3545d99e4302f.png

CYF = Current Year Forecast

Strawman
7 months ago

Love your work Mike -- top notch stuff (as always). Thanks for sharing.