Forum Topics LOV LOV Store Rollout

Pinned straw:

Added 7 months ago

Lovisa posted on LinkedIn 3 weeks ago, that they have opened their 200th store in the US.

"Congratulations to our team in the Americas for successfully opening our 200th store in the United States - The Cordova Mall in Pensacola, Florida ???? This is a remarkable milestone and a testament to the hard work, dedication and outstanding efforts of everyone involved. Our journey is far from over and we look forward to further growing the Lovisa brand in the region. #LeadWithLovisa"

Whilst this is a great achievement, it may indicate that the roll out in the US is going slower than the market may be expecting. Last FY they opened 78 stores in the USA and ended the period with 190 stores. So this points to them adding 10 stores in 3 months or if you extrapolate that out then 40 for the year, assuming they rollout stores at the same pace for this FY. This may not mean much as they could open 20 in the next 3 months and there might be a faster rollout in other regions, but it could be a risk in the short term potentially.

I like the LOV thesis over the long term, so if it was sold off on less stores being opened than the market is expecting, then I think it would be a buying opportunity.

Karmast
6 months ago

Lovisa is a good retailer and has been doing well but it's too expensive for me. Compared to Nick Scali for example its a much riskier proposition -

Lovisa Nick Scali

Founder on Board in Brett Blundy but he's very diversified Founder CEO and totally focused

CEO is grossly overpaid at $20 million annually and owns 2% CEO is paid $1.5 million annually and owns 14% of the company

EPS growth over past 6 years of 13% p.a. EPS growth over past 6 years of 21% p.a.

Sales per share growth over past 6 years of 22% p.a. Sales per share growth over past 6 years of 17% p.a.

ROE of 85% and ROC of 17% ROE of 56% and ROC of 22%

Debt to equity of 465% (includes leases) Debt to equity of 176% (includes leases)

Net profit margin of 11% p.a. and going sideways/declining Net profit margin of 20% p.a. and growing

Owns $370 million of its own properties and equipment Owns $320 million of its own properties and equipment

Has $65 million in non lease debt vs $30 million in cash Has $91 million in non lease debt vs $149 million in cash

More international potential and going well but adds complexity Less international potential but still planning to double domestic store count

Currently trading at 30 times EPS Currently trading at 9 times EPS

Bottom line for me is that they are both great businesses and retailers but there are a few more warts on Lovisa and I have to pay three times the price to own it. So, not much needs to go wrong for the multiple to compress in Lovisa, which is much less likely with Nick Scali.

IRL I own NCK but not LOV at present.

mikebrisy
6 months ago

@Karmast great side by side analysis. I own both, preferring $NCK for quality and $LOV for global growth runway.

I am much more bullish on $LOV than you. With the business model established (fast fashion design cycle, supplier base, global supply chain incl. DCs, store unit economics, online, brand) and proven, its now about execution against a truly global market. This is not complexity in my view, but execution at scale. It will require ongoing discipline in signing the right stores in the right locations (but that appears to be a capability they have proven, and there should be no reason for it to change.)

From a retail perspective, the breadth of the market is stunning. A high disposible income customer in a high income market will buy the same item to wear once and be prepared to trash at a festival, as a low-to-middle income customer in a developing market might buy for a special occasion and cherish for years. The products have as much global reach as a Big Mac.

I've been amazed on my visit to Carindale in Brisy, during off-peak hours to see many of the stores completely empty, but a healthy crowd buying stuff in the local $LOV store, so I think they can ride any retail downturn relatively well ("lipstick effect").

I also have confidence that very highly paid Victor Herrero will continue to execute. He has excellent form from his time rolling out Zara in Asia Pacific (which has a similar business model).

The core of the thesis for $LOV is that it is very early days in the global rollout, whereas $NCK still has growth potential, but is much more mature. Anthony can see this which is why he is eyeing the UK, and that brings a whole new level of execution risk.

I agree we are paying up much more for $LOV and with that comes the risk that, if there is a hiccup in execution, then that could lead to a costly re-rate.

Karmast
6 months ago

Yes agreed @mikebrisy the global market for Lovisa is exciting if they can keep executing. So no disagreement on the upside potential and it's great they have a CEO now with a track record. I'd happily buy if the price came down on some short term news, so patience is required for me and happy to hold Nick Scali in the meantime.

UK is a new risk for NCK for sure although Anthony has an unblemished record, especially after how well Plush acquisition has gone, so he gets the benefit of the doubt from me if he does decide to go there.

McLovin
6 months ago

Hi all, I'm new here so go easy, but could this the best business on the ASX or am I living in a pipe dream?

IRL this is my second biggest holding currently for the following reasons. Please tear this apart and tell me if I'm dreaming on any of the points below. Have I missed something obvious here?

• When I think of this company in terms of 'Fast Fashion' as opposed to just another Jewelry store the thesis seems to stack up given their uncanny ability to release 100+ new designs every month based leveraging data insights to drive tailored production

• Consistently high gross margins (70%+) even with rising interest rates.

a1697e54e8fdbb91ce687f42c7492cab7dcde0.png

• In house design, swift distribution and incredibly high inventory turnover.

• Low rent, low cost store front, small cubic footprint manned by a single staff member designed perfectly to maximize profitability and reduce wastage. Disciplined store management for 5+ years.

• MOAT: Some say there is no MOAT with Lovisa, but I beg to differ. Their ability to collect data from all of their stores on what customers a purchasing and when + margins. This data is fed back to the design team to quickly change designs based on current fashion trends. This data set cant be easily reproduced by competitors unless they have spent 5+ years in the market, Lovisa already has this at their fingertips. Based on this, it seems difficult for a competitor to come in and steal Lovisa's lunch. Secondly, for a competitor to match their inventory turn, that competitor needs to have an in house production facility which is CAPEX heavy. I don't see a small competitor coming in, outsourcing design and manufacturer and being able to compete easily here.

• Whilst I dislike the CEO's pay packet last year, he has completed mass global store roll outs in China previously with Zara with great success. International expansion is just getting started, nowhere near the peak

• Lovisa seems disciplined in their store management which has allowed them to maintain impressive margins. With Brett Blundy being a 40% shareholder, and a retail genius I can't see him allowing this to change. (in saying that, if he sells his stake, then that's a worrying sign for me!)

This screams buy to me with a 5+ year time horizon, with an EV/EBIT of 18 and consumer discretionary spending not being suppressed forever is it not great value?

Am I dreaming? Please tear it apart.

Yours faithfully,

McLovin

Strawman
6 months ago

Love it @McLovin -- I had Lovisa pitched to me ages ago, and I ignored it... I think the price was around $5 at the time.

I'm not sure you could say it's the best business on the ASX, but a retailer doing double digit net margins is something to take note of!

RogueTrader
6 months ago

You make some good points there McLovin, esp. in regards to their invisible moat. Of interest, Gaurav Sodhi gave it a Buy on Intelligent Investor two weeks ago: "Australian investors have never seen a successful international retail rollout. Lovisa is doing just that before our eyes, successfully replicating a proven formula in proven markets. We need only recognise that this could be a significantly larger business in years ahead." Mark Moreland of Team Invest also gave it a Buy rating on 'The Call' recently.

Rick
6 months ago

I’ve been buying back into Lovisa IRL @McLovin. Show me another ASX business with a ROE of 90%! I wouldn’t call it an absolute bargain like it was just after COVID hit. At the current price I have Lovisa returning over 11% per year including the franked dividends (McNiven’s StockVal formula). Investors are prepared to pay up for high quality businesses that have a long runway for growth, like Lovisa.

Solvetheriddle
6 months ago

@McLovin look at the SWOT in my preso

Solvetheriddle
7 months ago

@LifeCapital thanks for sharing, as i said in my preso (as i recall lol), singing favourable leases is the biggest hurdle i see to growth, perversely strong retail trends (good for sss) probably embolden landlords to ask for higher rents, so a weak environment is probably preferred through the lease sign up stage, or at least not strong. signing a poor lease is one of the worst things a retailer can do, as i recall the leases are 3-5 years in length so you are burdened for a while. LOV exited Spain due to this reason, as i recall, now back in.

i have already done some buying in the low $18, a $17 handle i would buy more, it is volatile but has been one of my best stories for a while

disc held

mikebrisy
7 months ago

@LifeCapital Thanks for sharing the intell.

Personally, I don't mind if the rollout pace moderates. CEO Victor Herrero has made clear that its about getting the right locations with the right lease deals. US retail is still in rude health, as evidenced by overnight's retail sales numbers for September and strong upward revision for August. Should retail start to hit choppy waters, that's when you'd expect to see $LOV get more aggressive on doing lease deals.

I may be wrong altogether, but I see slowing numbers growth as evidence of capital discipline. A big part of my investment thesis is the unit economics at the store level.

All that said, I'd like the SP to weaken on this one, as I am only holding about one-third of my intended position in RL based on the view that there is more retail pain to come.