Forum Topics VVA VVA VVA valuation

Pinned valuation:

Added 6 months ago
Justification

November 23:

Market update looked quite positive to me. Key points for me below.

0682385f244977332ffca47625b98d29c5b894.png

1d9142ed77beb2295a67f8ea9a85910e65fa82.png

08d4cfc4f6584564b71dac1e1fcb3d4c5ffe62.png

It seems like the business is being pivoted back to its DNA, which is low cost, large format, corporate owned gyms. With the competitive advantage being scale and lower cost of capital than nearly all its direct competitors.

It's simple maths. Acquire on 3-3.5x EBITDA, which equates to somewhere between 5-8x FCF once you factor in maintenance capex. If your WACC is below this, you can exploit the arbitrage. If VVA are acquiring at 8x (a 12.5% FCF yield) and are borrowing at around 10% in a worst-case scenario, they should do well.

Probably trading at around 10x underlying FCF at the moment, Which is probably about right.

August 23:

Results were well received by the market. I think they were ok, but the boutique fitness offering are struggling and I think they need to get more disciplined.

There's a few figures figures which I found interesting from the results. First FCF:

Subtracting all lease repayments, PPE and intangibles expenditure from operating cashflow a (probably harsh because some of it is genuine greenfield capex) I get FCF being $3.7 mil at the absolute lowest.

8c252c2bdad5605f4861998d9e1a72047e7f16.png

2edf7608439f0bba35283a6bf569cca82e7f67.png

Using the most dovish assumptions you could get as high as about $9 mil in FCF (subtracting the $3.2 mil in tech spend from FCF shown above.)

The other thing that's interesting is PBT on a pre vs post AASB basis.

55d47cb3fe714d85f744a95dfa68e234d10606.png

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that AASB 16 means that the annual increases in rent under the leases VVA has signed are "Straight Lined" and then discounted at an incremental borrowing rate, so the future increases in rent are actually factored into todays NPAT figure.

Given the amount of Capex that VVA has undertaken, I'd expect FCF to exceed NPAT going forward.

Sticking with the same valuation for now.

UlladullaDave
6 months ago

If the leases are linked to the CPI then at inception the lease asset/liability does not take into account any rent increases. In subsequent periods when the rent rises become known (ie what was the CPI) the depreciation and amortisation schedule needs to be recalculated. If the rent increases are like x% per year that is set at inception then that is all captured in the asset/liability at inception.

Edited***

Hi Dave,

You're right. This is another problem with AASB 16...I

In any event, I'm of the understanding anecdotally that most VVA leases are structured with fixed increases, not CPI. I think this evidenced by the difference between pre and post AASB 16 NPAT/EBIT?

UlladullaDave
6 months ago

Hi @PeregrineCapital

It's possible they have a "3% or the CPI whichever is greater" type clause in the lease in which case they would recognise the 3% at inception as the minimum step up, but AFAIK, AASB does not allow you to make assumptions about what the indexation might look like. Probably with good reason.

Just checked an accounting text and it has this...

103e07d05db3d794cfc5c13072c7e2ff897bbf.jpeg

Hi Dave,

Yep sorry I gave it a google and you're right. Another reason AASB 16 is a pain in the ass.

I'm of the understanding (anecdotally) that most VVA leases are structured with fixed increases, not CPI. I think this evidenced by the difference between pre and post AASB 16 NPAT/EBIT?

UlladullaDave
6 months ago

You've lost me a bit there Peregrine. How would the pre/post AASB16 noticeably change based on the structure of the leases?

I agree with you about AASB16. Major PITA.

Hi Dave,

https://www.bdo.com.au/en-au/content/accounting-news/accounting-news-august-2018/ifrs-16

In this example, depreciation + interest expense > annual amount payable ($135,000 once you factor in the incentive) at the beginning of the lease. Once you get out to years 4 and 5, the opposite is true.

In the above example, the rental is a flat amount each year. However VVA would typically have a fixed annual 4% escalator in the rent payable under a lease they sign. These increases mean the ROU and lease liability would be higher at the beginning of the lease, and more interest (and depreciation maybe?) would be booked at the start of the lease.

My belief is that VVA would, on average be in the earlier stage of their leases and that this annual escalator further exacerbates the difference in key PRE and POST AASB 16 metrics that VVA reports. Although I'd definitely take your point that the difference is pretty minor?

Am I making any sense? ????????????

3815305de121fcc4ca4745640ce8a245f8d51d.png

UlladullaDave
6 months ago

Yeah, I just think there are way too many leases with varying terms at various stages of maturity etc that the difference wouldn't be too significant. It is simpler, imo, to just work out the cash rent paid (reduction in property lease liability + interest expense on property leases (I think you have to use the slide above to get that interest cost) = cash rent) and adjust EBIT accordingly. You can also then just toss in a price escalator when you walk it forward. Bah AASB16 is the absolute dumbest thing to come out of accounting.

My interest in the difference wasn't so much for val purposes,more just to verify there's no funny business going on. Do you know of any other reasons why there could be such a sizeable a difference in figures?

The cash rent is approx. $37mil, very close to the variance in expenses outlined above. For val purposes I reconstruct the cashflow statement, not P+L.

8d82cdbd91c2c5953ffa83167ca26f15a45a2e.png

UlladullaDave
6 months ago

Nah, doesn't look to me like any shenanigans to me, just a business with very high fixed costs. Which is why it's so hard to cancel gym memberships.