Forum Topics LOV LOV Trading Update

Pinned straw:

Added 5 months ago

$LOV issued a trading update for the first 20W of FY24 at the AGM this morning.

I've tracked this update (highlighted) against the recent updates it has issued, to show the anatomy of the slowdown it is facing. The trend is very clear.

0214a3d03e44826ae509cbe4f066a9ef103066.png

Given that the last result probably includes something like 5-6% inflation, this indicates that same store volumes are down well over 10% from their peak.

With only 6 weeks trading to year end, the next 6 weeks are the peak retail period, so the 20 week update gives a good reference to see how well they fare through to year end.

In addtion, $LOV have open 55 new stores YTD and closed 20 for 35 net new stores (which includes the UAE franchise conversion to company owned, which is 12 store). Compared to a year ago, $LOV are currently trading in 160 more stores and 14 addtional markets, for a total of 836 stores. So network growth continues, albeit at a moderating pace to last year.

The market seems OK with the update, with SP up around 2% at time of writing.

I'm still looking increase my $LOV holding. The slowdown is continuing and it will be interesting to see how the business fares through the key November-December period. My view is that we might not yet have seen the bottom, so I will hold off with adding more.

Disc: Held in RL (2%) and SM

Karmast
5 months ago

Yes seems the update was inline with market expectations @mikebrisy

What was a bit more surprising was the size of the protest vote on CEO rem as below pulled from the AFR today. I was expecting a strike but this is a big one. And given the way Blundy has basically said thanks for the feedback but we aren't changing...they are much more likely to actually face a Board spill next year...

I am sure the CEO is great and works really hard etc. But let's say he was paid $10 million this year (still a hefty salary by listed retailer comparisons), it would have added $20 million to EBIT and probably around 12c or 20% to EPS for the year. In turn shareholders would most likely be sitting on a 10 to 20% increase from the current share price right now if that was the case. And if he didn't want the job for say $10 million is he really the right guy???

AFR article

Brett Blundy, the billionaire chairman of Lovisa, says he will not buckle to investor concerns over excessive remuneration, after shareholders voted against the jewellery chain’s pay report for a third year running.

Proxies showed that at this year’s in-person-only annual meeting 73.68 per cent were against the pay report, delivering the retailer another strike, and making it the largest no vote recorded. In 2021, 47.76 per cent proxies voted against the report. Last year, a board spill motion was called but voted down after the company received a second strike.

The pay report shows a staggering $30 million salary for its chief executive, Victor Herrero, a 13-year veteran of Spanish retail giant Inditex, the owner of Zara and Pull & Bear.

Lovisa CEO Victor Herrero

But Mr Blundy, who via his BB Retail Capital owns per 40 per cent of Lovisa, shrugged off the vote, saying the board has “the best intent for the best results and will continue to function that way”.

NewbieHK
5 months ago

“Staggering” is an understatement!

Slew
5 months ago

Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it to the Lovisa AGM.

Gaurav Sodhi insights on the meeting, the CEO’s compensation, and demeanour are in the following podcast. If you’re a shareholder, it’s certainly worth your time to listen. It contrasts with the AFR report which primarily concentrates on the renumeration and the strike, which yes was significant.

https://overcast.fm/+gDy_9KJb8/17:52

I think it’s important to treat Lovisa as a global retailer, it is not an Australian company anymore.  To attract the best in the field, they need to offer competitive international salaries.

I was surprised to learn that Victor travels in economy class and is fluent in Mandarin.  I also valued Gaurav’s observation that the management team and board seem to be working in harmony.

Held

Solvetheriddle
5 months ago

@Slew thanks Slew, very interesting, especially the comment that VH is unimpressive after 5 minutes but very impressive after an hour. i was unimpressed on first listen as well. imo you are backing Blundys call on this, he is vested and experienced so has the incentive and credentials to make this call. disc Held

as an aside i think the shareholder blabbermouth was Jack Tilburn? who started as a (rare) voice of dissent at AGm's but unfortunately turned into a self serving circus-imo.

Remorhaz
5 months ago

and if you want to see the conversation in video form - Gaurav Sodhi also covers it in Intelligent Investors latest weekly Stock Take discussion on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-tx41K3PYk

(Lovisa AGM covered from about 17:50 to 31:40)

Not Held (but watching closely)