Forum Topics AMX AMX 1H24 Guidance Update

Pinned straw:

Last edited 4 months ago

At a quick glance, Aerometrex’s announcement from today looks pretty good. 

• Essentially, they’re guiding for first half revenue growth to be aligned with ARR growth at roughly 20%
  • They’re saying EBITDA growth will be anywhere from 76 to 130%

How much do you have to pay for this? A pretty damn cheap valuation it appears.

At close today the market cap is $24.70M. Remove the $10M in cash they’re telling us they have and you’re left with an EV of $14.7M. They’re performance tends to be skewed to the second half from larger government contracts, but even if it weren’t, that means an EV / Revenue multiple of ~0.6. Sounds too cheap. 

There’s a few problems though:

• In a market where most investors have completely forgotten about micro-caps, no one gives a shit about EBITDA.
  • Last year showed EBITDA of nearly $4M, and that led to a loss of about $6M. I haven’t done the work to understand why the gap is so large, but am willing to suggest this supports my above claim that investors will likely want to see what the real bottom line looks like before they get excited. 
  • I’m also not 100% sure I like the ARR reporting here. The presentation of their full year results shows ARR ended at $7.6M, not the $7.3M they claim to get these growth figures. 

On the other hand, a business with an EV / Revenue multiple of ~0.6 doesn’t need to get everything right to start moving, and maybe this is only the beginning to the new MD getting down to work. 

I know other members know this one well, I’m keen to hear your perspectives community!

Seymourbutts
3 months ago

Going to jump on the back of the good discussion in this Straw and add in Aerometrex's announcement today which can be found here.

AMX has announced a strategic initiative (aka. partnership) to significantly enhance MetroMap capture program. Highlights as follows (extracted from announcement):

• A strategic initiative by Aerometrex will see a significant portion of aviation activities for the MetroMap capture program to be conducted by Aero Logistics – a leading Australian dedicated aviation business.
  • Capture frequency and reliability is expected to increase whilst maintaining a contingent capability of internally owned Company assets.
  • Initiative will see a material reduction in aviation costs over the life of the agreement as well as providing greater focus on customer growth and delivering an industry leading product.

All sounds great - but what does this mean? Well commercial details are "sensitive" and therefore exact figures have not been included in the announcement, only that the initiative is for a period of 5 years. AMX notes that this "will lead to a reduction in direct aviation costs to the business of between 10% to 15% throughout the agreement term." Some smarter people than me above may be able to throw a pencil at this and get some rough figures to what this looks like $$.

Not going to blow your socks off, but any cost reduction in today's day and age gets a thumbs up award from me. Let's see how this translates to their pursuit of "additional growth opportunities".

Disc: hold a small spec position IRL.

JPPicard
3 months ago

Did Aerometrex get a nudge that the Strawman community have been talking about them?

It seems they’re wanting to shake things up. 

Given they know investors are discounting the value of their planes; why not unstrap some cash and put it to use elsewhere? 

To me this sounds like a good idea. Another green tick in my book. Keep em coming and we might be on to something. 

Wini
3 months ago

Agree @JPPicard. Back when the business had a project based arm you needed your own fleet to be able to meet client demands. Now that segment has been shut down and the business has committed to the locked in capture program of MetroMap, they likely don't have the ability to work the assets properly. They will keep some planes for LIDAR and 3D capture which are still project based, but this is good to see them thinking strategically about their invested capital. If they can get the business to operating breakeven I'd love to see some cash used for buybacks or special dividends but that may not be for a year or two yet.

rmoss
4 months ago

I previously ranted about the issue / lack of transparency in using EBITDA for businesses reliant on higher levels of fixed assets/intangibles etc to derive income. There really should be some sort of rules around this sort of selective disclosure. I’m happy the metrics are moving north but no real way to tell whether this is going to translate into improved EPS, the steady / slight improvement in cash is probably a better indicator all though even this is muddled by asset refinance

edgescape
4 months ago

Last time I looked at AMX I noticed the amortisation/ intangibles are always high. I think that implies a constant cycle of using cash to keep their systems on par with rivals.

So the problem is the cycle of updating systems is too frequent, so they spend as much as they earn.

Guess that implies that competition in this sector is also quite tough.

Wini
4 months ago

@JPPicard I've generally found AMX management to be pretty honest with their reporting. Use of EBITDA is questionable I agree, I'll come back to that.

For ARR, I believe the simple answer is they are using the $7.3m from the 1H23 result, not the $7.6m from the FY23 result. They are transparent that their ARR is simply the recurring revenue in the last month before reporting date x 12 which I think is ok. No funky CARR involved.

Further to your valuation comment, not only is there $10m worth of cash on the balance sheet they have $16m in planes and cameras with very few offsetting liabilities. Arguably the market is valuing the operating business extremely pessimistically.

On EBITDA and on-going intangibles spend I do agree the market is right to look past it to NPAT and cash flow. That said, again I think AMX are pretty honest here. They only capitalise the image capture cost, not any software or platform development. Of course, capturing images is a constant cost to the business so excluding them is a bit of a furphy but I think it's important to understand the business model should mean that intangibles spend won't have to scale with revenue.

With MetroMap, AMX commit to capturing capital cities four times a year and large towns twice a year. This creates a pretty fixed cost base for the capture which I think the FY23 result is probably the best baseline at $5m (as AMX wound back on one-off 3D captures that were in FY21 and FY22). On my best guess of the remaining opex for MetroMap (which would have some overlap with other operating segments as well), I think as they get towards $9-10m ARR the segment is profitable and should scale nicely beyond that.

In the end I think you are right that the cash balance slightly growing in the seasonally weaker 1H is ultimately the most positive part of this update. The full report will shed more light as to how this was achieved, likely some favourable working capital and smoothing capex with equipment financing but at face value it is nice.

edgescape
4 months ago

Also management knowing the product and strengths is all good. But how does Aerometrex try to differentiate and work against the competition like Eagleeye and Nearmap?

I find this similar to Oracle trying to set itself apart against the other cloud providers by stating Oracle DB deployments run better than on other platforms but not making much headway.

I think more work needs to be done on addressing the competition before AMX can get some meaningful progress. This again goes back to my observation of spending on new features to make AMX better but not showing much reward on the earnings part.

JPPicard
4 months ago

Quality answer from you as always @Wini  

My bad on the ARR: reading your answer caused a nice face palm; at least one of us knows what PCP means. 

There’s a few interesting things in what you said. Perhaps this was obvious to others, but it wasn’t to me given I don’t know the business; the fact they’re trading at book value if you account for the value of the planes. Clearly, as you suggest, investors don’t have high hopes for them. This is typically something that get's me interested.

I get your point @edgescape ; it is a competitive space which will drive everyone’s margins south. A friend of mine worked at Nearmap for a few years and suggested customer would shop them around on pricing, but would also value the quality of the product and speed of delivery, so there’s room to position yourself nicely if you know which lever to pull. 

I think the big point remains that we’ll indeed have to wait for the actual report to see where things land on NPAT, because earnings tend to be the drive of inflection points for businesses. When I think I’m getting smart I try to remember that one.