Forum Topics EVN EVN Dec 2023 Quarterly Report

Pinned straw:

Last edited 6 months ago

17-Jan-2024: I hold EVN in my SMSF, but nowhere else, so not here on Strawman.com. I wasn't planning to take part in their SPP, which formed part of the CR for their recent acquisition of 80% of the Northparkes Copper-Gold Mine from CMOC Group Limited, but a few things have changed now. [I'm still not planning to participate despite those changes]

Firstly - there's this: Extension-of-Share-Purchase-Plan.PDF released on Thursday 11th Jan (last Thursday) which advises that the closing date for the SPP that was announced on 5 December 2023 will be extended from its original closing date of 16 January 2024 (yesterday) to 5.00pm on Tuesday 30 January 2024.

Eligible shareholders participating in the SPP will be able to purchase shares at the lower of:

• A$3.80 per Share, being the same price paid by institutional investors under the Placement announced on 5 December 2023; and
  • a 2.5% discount to the 5-day volume-weighted average price of Shares traded on the ASX up to, and including, the revised SPP Closing Date (30 January 2024) (rounded to the nearest cent). 

Which is a good thing for EVN shareholders participating in the SPP because they're now likely to be paying a good deal less than $3.80 for those shares now due to today's announcements:

Wednesday 17 January 2024:

Firstly: December-2023-Quarterly-Report-EVN.PDF

Secondly: Exploration-Success-Continues-at-Cowal-and-Ernest-Henry.PDF

The first one did the damage. EVN closed down -65 cps at $3.10, so down -17.33% today.

The market was in no mood for bad news - here's the sector movements today:

9393346f4e3c12cb3fea55b54df586ba3f5523.png

Gold sector down -5.27% - that's a BIG move. EVN's selloff would have contributed to that for sure because they are the third largest constituent of that gold sector. They should be the second largest after NST, but the sector still has NEM in it, Newmont Corporation, even though they are listed in the USA and are not an Australian company. Because Newcrest (formerly NCM) WERE Australia's largest gold producer, and Newcrest shareholders were paid in Newmont (NEM) shares when Newmont acquired Newcrest last year, they've (S&P have) decided to keep those NEM CDIs in the Australian gold index.

EVN was the worst of a bad bunch today...

2391aed2e12ef81712e6e97153292032a11a04.png

The fact that the majority of our goldies closed substantially lower than the four physical gold ETFs (see above) is a clear sign of seriously negative sentiment across the sector today.

Pantoro (PNR) released the following update last week (on the 8th): December-2023-Quarter-Production-Update-PNR.PDF

And their SP fell -7.55% on the day and then another -6.12% the following day.

Today they released this at 9:33am: Underground-Development-to-Commence-at-Scotia.PDF

And their SP fell another -6.25%. Those that follow PNR (and that would be a small group, because they're a small goldie) were clearly expecting or at least hoping for better, or more, and dumped them when they didn't get what they wanted from those updates. Pantoro finished CY 2023 @ 5.7 cps and they're now (in the middle of January) some -21% lower at 4.5 cps. I have held them in one of my real money portfolios previously and do occasionally have a small trade in them with some loose change here - because of the lack of brokerage fees.

After the market closed, at 4:54pm, they lodged this: Addendum---Underground-Development-to-Commence-at-Scotia.PDF

Meanwhile Evolution Mining (EVN), one of our gold majors, closed at $4.14/share on December 4th, the day before they announced the Northparkes transaction and capital raising, and today they closed at $3.10, which is -25% lower.

Some details from today's update:

• Evolution’s Chief Operating Officer (COO), Bob Fulker has decided to leave the Company to pursue other opportunities. Mr Fulker will finish at the end of March. A search to identify an appropriate replacement is underway.
  • Gold production for the quarter was 161,073 ounces at an All-in Sustaining Cost (AISC) of $1,618 per ounce (US$1,052/oz) compared to the previous quarter which was very similar:
  • 27d276f1b0e75642b483f6dc27d45f2721c5c2.png
  • Despite some positives elsewhere, the market is probably focusing more on the continuing basket case that is Red Lake:
  • 40ff8382a64430f4cb6bbab86746260de5dab6.png
  • Evolution Mining's Red Lake underground gold mine in north-western Ontario (Canada) is their only gold mine located outside of Australia (they have 4 gold or copper/gold mines here in Australia - Cowal, Ernest Henry, Mungari and Mt Rawdon, plus their 80% of Northparkes in NSW as well), and Red Lake is certainly their problem child. The update (see above) shows that for the December quarter, their production at Red Lake (gold produced) fell by -4%, their AISC (costs) rose by +31% from A$2,552 to A$3,343/ounce (above the gold price, so Red Lake is losing money), cashflow decreased by -11%, and sustaining capital (which is included in that AISC) increased by +32%. I've included the whole page (above) on Red Lake from today's quarterly report, for some context. That is one acquisition that Jake Klein made that has NOT worked out as planned. Not yet anyway.

Appendix 1 contains their December 2023 quarter and their FYTD (financial-year-to-date) production and cost summaries. Below is page 14, which is the second page of Appendix 1. Page 13 was the production breakdown. Page 14 (below) is the cost breakdown for the December quarter:

485eb645195d402c4415263e49a23ef5d958a6.png

The full report can be read here: December-2023-Quarterly-Report-EVN.PDF

You can see there how wide the range is across their minesites for their costs - both AISC and AIC. Their AISC ranges from negative (A$5,677)/ounce at Northparkes up to positive A$3,343/ounce at Red Lake. It is only because of those byproduct credits for copper from Ernest Henry and Northparkes, which both produce far more copper than gold, that EVN manages to get their Group AISC down to A$1,618/ounce. All of their mines also produce Silver, but the silver production is not particularly material, as shown on page 13 (reproduced below).

022c833fd88dda88aba855907d0627684a6d4e.png

Cowal, EVN's flagship copper/silver mine in NSW which produces around 45% of all of EVN's annual gold production, is clearly their best asset. Cowal has an AISC of just $1,226/oz after silver byproduct credits and it's a high quality gold mine for sure. And I'm sure Ernest Henry and Northparkes are great copper mines too, that also produce some gold. But looking across the suite of mines that EVN operate, the quality varies greatly, as do the costs.

1271eeb144a04402d1eb62e03679c79800dbd7.png

9a592f6f0618f4b5d7e6cdec8eec55a8fd175b.png

Cowal-fact-sheet-FY23F.pdf

Source: https://evolutionmining.com.au/cowal/

Cowal is an excellent mine that is expanding with heaps more gold there at good grades, but I believe the market isn't entirely comfortable with how some of EVN's other assets are travelling.

I'm not adding to the EVN position in my super or selling any - it's a long term holding in what was Australia's third largest gold producer when I bought that position a few years ago (@ $2.83/share) - they are now Australia's second largest goldie after Newcrest got taken out by Newmont last year.

But I don't intend to buy any EVN in any of my other portfolios, including the virtual one I have here. Other goldies like NST and GMD look heaps better to me at this point.

Bear77
6 months ago

65c96ff4837e574d1505d396df1a9669891bfa.png

Evolution’s Stinker & What’s going on at Lynas’s Kalgoorlie Facility? | Daily Mining Show - YouTube [17-Jan-2024]

CHAPTERS

0:00:00 Preview

0:00:00 Introduction

0:01:00 Get on the front foot with reporting

0:02:44 You need to hire any mining equipment?

0:04:22 What was SO bad about Evolution's Quarterly?

0:18:20 How does Wildcat's raise look in hindsight?

0:20:09 What's going on at Lynas's Kalgoorlie processing facility?

0:29:17 WA1 out raising $30m

0:33:40 Pantoro pull forward underground work - will it save them?