Forum Topics NAN NAN H1 FY24 Trading update

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

Nanosonics provided a trading update for 1H24

• Revenue for 1H24 will reduce ~4% compared to PCP ( to $79.6m )
  • Nanosonics revenue comprises 2 components (Capital sales and Consumables)
  • Consumable would have increased by definition because of more installed base ( no figures provided)
  • In this half, Nanosonics only sold 1720 units ( 1100 new and 620 upgraded) compared to the 1H23 figure of 2070 (1270 new and 800 upgrades)
  • Management is saying that the revenue miss is because of lower-than-expected capital sales ( I think management would have factored in around 2250 capital sales in this half i.e ~10% growth over pcp) so they are short of 530 units this half - reason given in the announcement is "Hospital capital budget pressure"
  • The following chart shows historic capital sales for the last 5 years and trends.

f5f2283ec0ffca4169b6ff3e954e7ee4fe51d8.png

Now the question for investors is, is this a structural issue, or Market penetration issue, or an economic cycle issue? More information will be provided in half year result at 26th feb.

One thing is for sure that I was wrong in expecting 25% growth this year - Market has slapped 35% of its market cap in a day and to be frank market is right in doing so - Nanosonics was ( and is) on high multiple and it can not afford to not grow and miss the guidance. So hopefully, I learn and grow from this experience ( like i did with EML and KME and others)

thunderhead
3 months ago

I was close to selling the last time the price got up above $5.50, but held on as I am predisposed to buy-and-hold (something I am unlearning as very few businesses deserve to be treated that way!) and was seduced by the apparent quality of the business. Turns out it could be more cyclical and at the mercy of hospital budgets than I initially thought.