Forum Topics RMD RMD 2Q FY24 Results

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

$RMD have announced their second quarter results, which I'll very briefly comment on. The big news, is their assessment from a trial they are running which indicates that GLP-1's are likely both to increase CPAP adoption and adherence. It will be interesting to see how the market - and the various analysts and commentators - react to this news. If true, it turns the negative thesis on its head.

ASX Announcement

Their Highlights

• Revenue increased by 12% to $1.2 billion; up 11% on a constant currency basis

• Gross margin contracted 50 bps to 55.6%; non-GAAP gross margin grew 10 bps to 56.9%

• Income from operations decreased 2%; non-GAAP operating profit up 20%

• Operating cash flow of $272.8 million

• Diluted earnings per share of $1.42; non-GAAP diluted earnings per share of $1.88

My Assessment

Strong revenue growth with devices (+11%) leading masks (+9%,...weaker than expected by the market), with the SaaS business growing at 24%.

On supply, AirSense-10 now fully available to all customers. AirSense-11 continuing to be approved in new markets, with Japan the most recent market to be approved. Still 100 markets to be approved.

On return of Phillips, Mike Farrell was bullish about the return of competition - noting that the market is competitive and that Phillips will have to fight their way back from the bottom against the 4th, 3rd, 2nd and best players. Their return for deviced in the US is still pending.

%GM contracted on the PCP comparison, but improved over the prior quarter, with the CFO projecting continued improvement in %GM through the rest of the year (absent any shipping impacts of the current Red Sea problems). %GM was slightly impacted by the mask with magnets safety notice/recall issue - a one-off which has been full dealt with in the Q.

Positively SG&A only increased by 5% (4% on CC), meaning that the these fell as a % of revenue to 19.1% from 20.5%.

The GAAP result at the NPAT level was weak, due mainly a major restructuring that has been implemented in the Quarter. This was a material item, with a $64m restructuring charge hitting the P&L. Hence the restructure announced a few months ago has resulted in a significant streamlining of the business. I'm not a fan of one-off restructuring charges, so we'll have to see over the coming quarters if the changes result in a sustainable leaner organisation. The was the major component driving a declind in NPAT over the PCP.

On a non-GAAP basis, $277m NPAT compares with $244m in the pcp, an increase of 13%.

Cash generation was strong, with operating cash flow of $273m and PPE, Intangible and Acquisition Investing Csh flows of around $32m. In the Q, $RMD bought back around $50m of shares, which they continue to plan to do each quarter going forward.

Overall, a strong result with waters muddied through restructuring charges.

GLP-1 UPDATE

The big news is the reported progress results from $RMD "real world" study of 529,000 patients on CPAP taking GLP-1s. I include the two slides below. Mike touted these results as essentially turning the "GLP-1 will kill CPAP" thesis on its head. Bascially, he said the real world evidence is that it will drive CPAP update and adherence! I'll let the slides talk for themselves, and no doubt there will be significant commentary and reaction to this over the coming days.

6c7aa0ddc65fcedad9d85e27543d594bdf1d2e.png

97a7ffd5a07ca22d3b90ef80021a4f25115845.png

Finally, Mike discussed in some detail how innovation in health wearables (Apple, Google, Samsung) is also like to provide a tailwind of increased awareness of sleep health.

OK, that's all from me. Off to teach class.

Good results. Thesis solidly intact.

Disc. Held in RL and SM

mushroompanda
3 months ago

I'm only catching up with the result now.

The real world GLP-1 and PAP therapy data is very interesting. Despite being a shareholder, I remain highly sceptical of the data presented.

9ec976109430589d6e3e321ea349eb5682fc55.png

The data is about a cohort of people that are taking GLP-1s and have also been diagnosed with OSA - asserting they are more likely to initiate and adhere to PAP therapy. And concluding that GLP-1s are in fact favourable for PAP therapy.

However, this is a cohort that can access GLP-1s - drugs that cost 10s of thousands of dollars a year. It must be a cohort that have high earnings and/or have a premium level of healthcare coverage. I speculate it's also a cohort that are more health conscience verses the general population. One would expect richer people diagnosed with OSA, with better healthcare coverage and are more health conscience will have higher PAP take up. They can afford it easier, and are more willing to give it a go compared to the general population.

It feels as though Resmed have taken a group of better customers and said: "Hey, these guys are better!"

Without a study where the demographics are somehow normalised, or a clinical trial where all the costs are waived, I'll remain sceptical.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@mushroompanda - great points, and I largely agree. This is a "real world" trial (sample) of a company with an interest in promoting its product (and share price). We should certainly be skeptical.

My reason for welcoming it is less because I believe it, and more because I think the "GLP-1 thesis will destroy CPAP" has been given far more credence than it warrants based on the data. So, I celebrate some balance in the discourse (and a SP returning to a fundamentals-basis), even as I also question the scientific rigour of the claims!

My bias is also clear, $RMD is a top-6 RW holding for me.

Solvetheriddle
3 months ago

@mushroompanda don't quite agree with you. yes be sceptical and I suspect some cherry-picking of data. cherry picking will continue on both sides. i took it the other way, not necessarily onboard with positive correlation, but no impact, as implied in your argument, that is, a fair size of the customer base will not be able to afford GLP-1 means status quo prevails. so overall the delta is positive after a big swing towards the death and destruction argument. on the other hand, if MF dumps a huge amount of stock, all bets are off! lol

held

UlladullaDave
3 months ago

Interesting chart @mushroompanda thanks for posting. ETA: Sorry, I see it was @mikebrisy who posted it. I struggle with the navigation on here sometimes.

I think you are right that taking a cohort of patients with a level of health care gives them access to GLPs means they are more likely able to access multiple treatments for OSA. I'm pretty suss of something held out to be scientific that's slotted into an earnings prezzo, you can make data tell you anything you want if you slice it the right way.

Gent that I bump into every now and then was recently telling me that he has had his jaw reconstructed so he doesn't need to use a CPAP machine anymore. It's a 9 month journey for him back to full recovery. He has to be careful how he drinks water and eats food etc or it can come out his nose at the moment. That's a very high non-financial cost to pay to get off a CPAP machine. Anecdotes aren't data and all that, but I don't think it would take much to get people to switch to something less invasive like an injection. It's not something that plays out over 1 year, it's something that takes 10.

The prices of these drugs will come down substantially over the next few years. There are so many similar drugs in the pipeline. The rebates already on offer for what are brand new high demand drugs shows there is already healthly competition even in a supply constrained market. (The table below is for the US; Wegovy is the only drug approved for obesity at this point which perhaps explains some of its pricing power relative to Mounjaro and Ozempic)49a729a7ffe9ad9792860edeea7db2eb421a56.png

mushroompanda
3 months ago

@mikebrisy @Solvetheriddle points taken. And I agree it's good to see Resmed fight back and turning the tide on the popular narrative. I think the "OSA is best treated with weight loss and PAP" is a strong one, and a partnership with Lilly and/or Novo would blow the bear case into smithereens.

Just wanted to point out the data presented is not a clinical trial, and hasn't undergone anywhere near the same rigours. The CEO would be aware of this also - at one point during the call he mentioned that the cohort is likely to be more motivated than the general population because they sought a prescription for GLP-1.

Although when an analyst asked if this would be an increasing tailwind as more people get on the drugs, he didn't confirm or deny the extrapolation.

It's marketing, but a good deal of people are going to interpret it as fact.

mushroompanda
3 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts and info @UlladullaDave.

OSA treatment outside of PAP and oral appliances generally involve surgical procedures and are huge prices to pay. From what I understand, they also have a decent failure rate which is doubly sad. On the other hand, doing nothing about severe sleep apnea is also a death sentence.

On a related topic. Acquired did a fantastic 3-hour podcast episode on Novo Nordisk: https://overcast.fm/+_ztzOmHi0

I listened to in recently on a long road trip - switched it on every time my kids fell asleep and couldn't complain. It touches on listed price and the implied net price of drugs. Spoiler alert: insurance companies get huge rebates, so nobody really pays the listed price. I was also surprised how the development on GLP-1s were based on first principles and not something that was stumbled across. Well worth the listen in my opinion.

jayjayjayjay
3 months ago

Pharmaceutical companies have forever skewed data to meet their needs. There are insane number of examples of this. I own RMD shares and purchased a large stake (top 2 holding) IRL during the sell off. I personally do not believe any of it although acknowledge it exists and can assist in developing a thinking process around your purchase.

I firmly believe come March the results of Ozempic on Sleep Apnoea suggest that it benefits those with sleep apnoea. I would be surprised if it does not. The so called scientists around making these one-eyed studies set them up to succeed. I barely even call it science anymore. It is the world we live in where profits and creating shareholder wealth trumps anything else.

I will only sell my RMD shares if or when I see a slowdown in growth that does not meet my valuation. Until then I think all of the rest is just noise.

If you look back at my previous comments on RMD I had a similar thinking pattern around Ozempic and how I thought the studies coming out were all complete rubbish. It enabled me to feel very comfortable making a very large position in this and quickly making near 30% profit in a short period of time.

Not saying to ignore the data being released but be aware of the bias nature of it. I would preference an independent Randomised Control Trial, but no one will fund it as the pharmaceutical companies fund these studies themselves.

DISC: hold RMD IRL

wtsimis
3 months ago

Thanks @mikebrisy brilliantly summarised as always (much appreciated).

A couple of areas to further emphasise that Mike highlighted.

1. CEO Micheal Farrell on the call was clearly on the front foot in terms of the positive impact of GLP-1 drugs appear to be having on Resmed and further added to the commentary by looping in the many sleep wellness and fitbit type applications run by the likes of Apple, Google and Samsung. Micheal perspective was however the diagnosis to improve the wellness of the community needed to occur it will be positive long term for Resmed. Something to watch in terms of whether there is any collaboration any or ALL of the companies in question in seeking to improve quality of people's wellbeing.
  2. From a cost side the restructuring costs were all but completed in the second quarter and minimal additional costs are anticipated in Q3. Inventories fell over 6% compared to June 30th 2023 which is positive from a cashflow perspective and something to watch.

Overall business continues to deliver solid, consistent results at top and bottom line and with the control of costs we are seeing the share price has moved over 30% off the lows of $21.50 in late September 2023. i am anticipate for this to continue in the short term (next 3 months) in light of this result with a move back to $30plus.

Disc : Own RL and SM .