Forum Topics CBA CBA Industry/competitors

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

Firstly this bit of information applies to any big 4 bank, not just CBA

In the past, the Big 4 used to have foreign exchange services but recently have decided to close down this service.

This means no more deposit of foreign cheques to the big banks. No ifs or buts. Justification is that not many people use foreign cheques and currency and costs too much to service.

In response it appears the smaller mutual banks (formerly credit unions) have come in to fill this hole, allowing new customers to deposit foreign cheques if it is done 3 months before the cheque expires.

Sounds crazy that people are still using foreign cheques, but most of the large instos such as Morgan Stanley still insists on writing cheques in USD for non-US customers.

Unfortunately I'm one of those customers and in desperation had to open an account recently with a mutual bank to cash a USD cheque.

Was a great experience though, looks like the funds were available within 2 months. And I didn't think it was so easy as I thought I had to be "vouched" by a member or join a trade union.

Big 4, look out! The old credit union turned mutual banks are coming to grab your lunch!

reddogaustin
3 months ago

I'm in this boat also. Some US shares I hold directly still send paper 'checks' for dividends. Oh my. We sometimes don't realise how technologically forward leaning we are here is Australia!

Strawman
3 months ago

How are cheques still a thing? Another example of systemic inertia -- just like it took 20 years for the internet to finally kill the (paper) yellow pages.

Wait until they realise (accept?) there is an open public network that allows for near instant final settlement, is globally interoperable, vastly more secure and accessible for a fraction of the cost...

wtsimis
3 months ago

@strawman the opening for BTC as a solution was too good to pass.

Feels like a wave of disruption is set to come through and we wont know ourselves....

CanadianAussie
3 months ago

Or you could just send money via PayPal?

Parko5
3 months ago

Try using Wise. Best and cheapest way to transfer funds internationally.

https://wise.com/au/

I just paid US$15k for a holiday via a US travel agency in US dollars into their US bank account. Via Westpac it was going to cost $600 in fees. Via Wise it cost $67. And I got a better exchange rate.

Also if you use my link below I think I get some cash! And you get free transaction!

https://wise.com/invite/dic/johnp109

Karmast
3 months ago

Also a happy Wise user @Parko5

Way better and cheaper than the banks or Western Union etc to exchange currency in my experience.

AbelianGrape
3 months ago

@Strawman Things move more slowly in Adelaide. I couldn't believe it when these started showing up on our doorstep after we moved here from Melbourne a couple of years ago. Still waiting on this year's one --- how else am I going to find a hair dresser, or a mechanic?

2a86058ada580a32e599b38cfc7bb0ca78cb2d.jpeg

edgescape
3 months ago

Morgan Stanley USA branches will only allow wire transfers to US bank accounts. They will not do international wire transfers.

And there is no option as well from what I remember

Looks like the same with Etrade USA as well.

I'll have to find a way to get a US bank account. Not sure if opening a USD bank account here will work.

Or just hope there will be a process to do a interbank transfer soon

Nnyck777
3 months ago

Thanks for the tip I have my Nephew’s 18th birthday coming up next month and he lives in the US- I want to send him some money. I might give Wise a go.

CanadianAussie
3 months ago

If you open a PayPal account you can connect it to your Australian bank. My mum used to send me cheques from Canada and they stopped accepting them here. We've been using PayPal since, it's pretty simple and quick. You can transfer money from PayPal to your bank for free in around 24-48 hours or pay $10 for instant transfer.

Karmast
3 months ago

Thats gold!

Strawman
3 months ago

PayPal and Wise are a great solution for individuals (who are banked), but can't act as non-gated institutional payment rails.

Also, what the hell @AbelianGrape! Do they still use horse and buggy in Adelaide too ;)

(I joke of course. Lots of love for Adelaide. We're even half thinking of making the move there.)

Rick
3 months ago

I have a son in Seattle and a daughter in Auckland. I use OFX for transfers. They charge a flat fee of AUD $15 plus their exchange rate. They give you a quote when you lodge the transfer, then you transfer the money into their AU holding account, and Bob’s your uncle! It’s great for large sums, not so efficient for small amounts. https://www.ofx.com