Forum Topics CXL CXL ASX Announcements

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

I noted the Calix announcement on its ZESTY program for HBI (hot briquetted iron). I thought it looked a bit iffy so checked with my most knowledgable man on all things steel and his words were non complimentary.

Only a part of what they do, but not good when an announcement can be pulled apart so easily.

Buyer beware.

Rudyboy
2 months ago

I think in the current environment the clean green but bloody expensive concepts will be falling over.

Just had a call from a friend who owns an EPCM company who recommended his mate to a competitor. Guy got the job after 2.5 months of back and forth, one month down the line the company pulls the plug on the whole new engineering division, see ya later. Indonesian nickel has been coming for a while, but true to form we ignore that and let the sky fall in on the day.

Next stop Lithium, the news will be by the end of March "Lithium prices increase, cost of EVs likely to increase". I can see it now. Chinese are out of cheap alternative to spodumene plus no more money to continually manipulate the prices as their economy is in the toilet.

And then there's "Trump wins Presidency, Walmart to close as Chinese product to be hit with 60% tariffs."

And then...."Ma Walton seen fleeing scene with Bushmaster over her shoulder after Trump assassinated".

I think I need to write a screen play for Netflix!

Rudyboy
3 months ago

Yes, it was the ZESTY program.

This is what I received:

"The cost of production is way too high @ 700 AUD/t – and you need to also add the capital costs which will be massive. HBI is a scrap substitute which typically sells for USD 200 -400 USD/t at the moment but historical scrap are more in the range of USD 150-250/t.

It makes much more sense to upgrade a low-grade ore – such as a magnetite- into a DR pellet and use normal proven DRI technology to produce HBI. Cost will be much lower (~ 400 AUD/t) and all proven tech and can be 0 carbon. Whoever came up with this does not know the steel industry."

edgescape
3 months ago

Thanks, this is the only link I can find, but like all special commodities, it is behind a paywall

There is no year so I assume it is 2023. How is the data "premium" when it is out of date?

https://www.kallanish.com/en/news/steel/market-reports/article-details/European-HBI-may-fall-0415/

==========

22 Apr 01:00

European import prices for HBI set to fall in May

Prices of Imported hot briquetted iron (HBI) into Europe are expected to keep falling by another $20/tonne in May, reaching a level of $220-230/t, traders tell Kallanish. HBI is reaching Southern European ports in 30,000 tonne vessels from Venezuela at the price of $245/t cif and in smaller 7,000t vessels from Libya at the same price. HBI imports from Venezuela, Russia and Libya into Italy were landing at $320/t in February and fell significantly in March du…

This article contains premium data.

It is only available for active subscribers and clients currently on trial. To continue reading, see the options below.

========

On the other hand, the references provided by Calix are from 2020.

My assumption is that Calix expects they can charge a "premium" for their product given it is produced using zero carbon (ie: Calix "Green HBI" Or "Zesty HBI").

Haven't we been here before with the clean green nickel line when the truth is automakers just want cheap nickel and hence just buy the stuff from Indonesia?

edgescape
3 months ago

@Rudyboy

Want to confirm if you are referring to this part

5aad4a0c76d927d737b8c12951cc25f098a8f4.png

Open the footnote and I get this chart. Conventional costs is around $350-450.

Calix is around USD 400-500 (AUD 650-800) at pilot scale only. But it is large variance so I will take the higher figure, meaning still work to be done.

9e26f582a04ae692f7288bd86eb549c4fb090a.png

Would also need to research a few other Hydrogen DRI projects which there are a few from doing a simple search or from the Calix presentation

Electra I believe is backed by Bill Gates.

d461e4d3eac4cbbb0ae2d7eaeb7ae9fa90853a.png

Just to add, I wonder if the power requirements (renewable + heat recovery) below are enough to power the reactor and produce the hydrogen from the electrolyser?

066d22255e2d363759c3c6828b8edad085d7c2.png