Forum Topics ALU ALU Acquired

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

Wow $68.50 acquired and approved by the board.

I feel very fortunate it is one of my largest holdings but goodbye to one of the best ASX tech stocks by the looks of things. ALU has been an absolute wealth winner for many years.

whether ALU would have grown into its share price over time but you need to back management that they have made the right call. They knocked back autodesk takeover during the Covid period which at the time looked a decent bid given where the share price was at and where it slid after rejecting the offer. Turned out to be a great call.

lets hope a counter offer occurs. I never know what to do in these situations where it’s likely the offer will be approved. Do you sell some at this price or just hold and hope for a better offer to come for a high quality tech stock.

jcmleng
3 months ago

Like @UncleWally, fell off my chair with the announcement and the premium. This was one of the first companies I bought after joining MF Pro 1.0, at that time, on pure blind faith. To this day, joining MF Pro 1.0 in 2015 was a life-changing decision.

If prices stay as they are, it will be a 3x spiffy pop day, and a roughly 10-bagger after holding for 9 years.

My millenial kids fell off their chairs this morning as well. This was a good lesson that Buffet-like long-term value investment, is still the way to go to greater riches, but patience, effort in understanding the business, and riding the ups and downs (for which in their world, is in serious short supply to none) is paramount to reaping that benefit over a long timeframe ...

UncleWally
3 months ago

Couldn't agree more with your comment @jcmleng

"To this day, joining MF Pro 1.0 in 2015 was a life-changing decision"

It certainly changed my life. I still Hold WTC and AD8 from those days and PME from Hidden Gems. I can't thank Matt Joass, Joe Magyer, Claude Walker and of course our very own STRAWMAN for their skill and wisdom.

First Audinate now Altium - it's been a big week.

actionman
3 months ago

My Mum and I were MF Pro 1.0 members back in the day. Mum is now 88 and has forgotten how to log in to her CommSec account. But I helped her log in today out of interest and it says her Altium purchase price was $3.44 so that's over 8x spiffy pop. I'll have to take her down to the RSL club tonight for the roast of the day. Thanks Joe and Matt!

UncleWally
3 months ago

Way to go Mum!

Rick
3 months ago

Who’s shout @actionman? You’ve both done extremely well, so perhaps you’ll have to spit the bill! My Mum (87 yrs old) always insists on shouting when we go out, but we do have her over every Sunday for a roast! :)

actionman
3 months ago

They say a dead investor is the best investor. But perhaps one that’s forgotten their login details to their trading account is the next best thing!

thunderhead
3 months ago

I was thinking the same. I can only hope that AD8 goes on to be another ALU (or better!) in the fullness of time.

Seasoning
3 months ago

Congratulations! Extremely late to the Altium train here, I bought most of my shares last year at 36 dollars, and averaged up a bunch from there.

Feeling a bit mixed about the sale because I wanted to see it play out, but being up like 60% is nothing to complain about.

UncleWally
3 months ago

Just checked Lakehouse's January Newsletter and Altium was their 5th largest holding which they have held for many years.

UncleWally
3 months ago

Just got home from a visit to the dentist and opened up my trading A/c and WOW alright!

I think I'm in shock.

I first bought ALU in Sept 2015 thanks to Joe Magyer and Matt Joas via my MF PRO subscription and added to it along the way. What a fantastic bit of stock picking that has turned out to be but, like @mikebrisy , @edgescape and @jayjayjayjay I'm totally torn here.

I'm pretty sure Lakehouse still Hold it so I'll keep a watching brief on any commentary that might come from there.

On one hand I'm being offered a great price here but on the other I'm going to have to let go of one of the very few high quality ASX companies I own. Altium has been part of the backbone of my portfolio for many years and I wasn't planning on changing that anytime soon. I'm pretty sure where ever I place the potential proceeds it's not likely to be in as high a quality company.

This is a tricky position to be in, a nice one though I think, but, what to do now?

Happy to hear other points of view!

thunderhead
3 months ago

My journey of close to 9 years with Altium, a cornerstone holding in my portfolio, has come to an end (very likely this deal gets over the line, or any improved offer from other parties in the unlikely event). It is comfortably my largest holding (21% of my ASX portfolio after today's jump) and biggest winner in my investing journey so far.

It is bittersweet, but regular followers will know based on past activity that an eventual takeover was on the cards with some big fish playing in this and adjacent spaces, and it is hard to argue that Renesas has not come in at an attractive premium.

How do you fill an Altium-sized hole in your portfolio, after paying the annoyingly huge CGT bill that will come due?

RobW
3 months ago

Conviction and patience rewarded. Well done TH !!

RobW

thunderhead
3 months ago

Thank you @RobW. There have been precious few of these for me over the years (largely sins of omission on some of the best growth names of this generation including the likes of PME and TNE - I was way too greedy/consevative with the entry points I wanted), but Altium has been a conviction holding if there ever was one - I never sweated the ups and downs over the years. In fact, I should have bought more at several times and ended up with an even bigger pot, but I respected my rough portfolio limits for a single position in terms of capital committed. Glad I allowed it to run except for a small sale at $18 some years ago.

As David Gardner would say, I have experienced multiple "Spiffypops" over the years with Altium, including a >2x gain on my average price today :)