Forum Topics DSK DSK 1HFY24 Results Notes

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Overview Comment:

Overall, a negative result but about what I expected (actually slightly better). I am expecting profitability to be around $5-6m for this FY so 1H NPAT of $8.1m should allow that exception to remain (2H is always weaker). Without the strong cash backing I would definitely be out due to risk of failure. The current valuation on an EV/E with my assumption of $5-6m FY24 profit is approximately 4-8x (depending on low/high cash figures between halves) so not a demanding multiple and probably the only thing keeping me from selling. I am well aware I could be stuck in a value trap here so needs constant monitoring. At this point continued holding requires that current conditions are nearing the bottom of the cycle and as consumer confidence returns Dusk's operating leverage will return.

General notes:

• Dividend of 2.5c
  • NPAT $8.1m, about where I expected it to be, with H2 I would expect NPAT to be negative due to the usual seasonality. EPS 12.9c.
  • Store network up to 151 stores. 2H will be see 4 store openings with 5 store closures of underperforming stores.
  • Not expanding NZ offering until conditions improve.
  • Improving rate of total sales decline compared to PCP for FY23 as FY24 progresses, first 7 weeks -15.6%, first 20 weeks -11.3%, 1H -9.7% and first 7 weeks of 2H -7.8% with December 8%. However, consumer was starting to weaken at this point last year.
  • Sales conversion rate remains stable.
  • Multiple notes about continued focus on maintaining costs.
  • CFO leaving not long after new CEO started. Don't know if good or bad? Gives a potential for a fresh start but also is there internal issues with new CEO? Not much information on changes CEO intends to make.
  • Amazon store opened in the half.
  • No outlook provided; however, this is normal for Dusk.

Positives:

• Maintained gross margin at 64.5%.
  • Net cash $31.1m.
  • Invenvtory managed well with figure flat at $17.6m even though number of stores up by 10.
  • CEO appears to want to attract new younger customers.

Negatives:

• Sales $77.8m down 9.7% on total or 15.8% LFL. LFL very troubling.
  • CODB up 5.9%. Due to wage increase of 6.25%.
  • Online sales still struggling at 5.3% of sales or $4.1m. Website redesign coming.
  • Membership numbers down 703k from 735k at FY23 year-end (1HFY23 end was 722k). Price increase to $15 hasn't worked so going back to $10.
  • Membership ATV has decreased from $64 in 1HFY22 to $57 1HFY24. Membership makes up 56% of sales.

Has the thesis been broken?

• No, but remains on a very close watch with a sell if there is any sign that Dusk won't improve performance when the consumer confidence returns. Still has a strong cash backing so can't see financial stress as such in the next year or so.

What are you expecting and what do you need to see over the next reporting season or generally into the future?

• That conditions don't continue to deteriorate. Expecting that we are nearing the bottom of the cycle over the next year or so.
  • Will the CEO start to make visible changes to improve results?
  • Continued focus on controlling costs and maintaining gross margins.
  • Continue using statutory figures rather than proforma numbers.
  • Company "on watch".
  • FY24 NPAT of $5-6m and sales ending the FY down around 5-8% compared to FY23. 

UlladullaDave
2 months ago

There's been an interesting bifurcation in retail land over this reporting period. Retail that have a brand or "moat" if you will, have been quite well insulated through their own pricing power. The guys like DSK (and MBH another low quality retailer I follow) just don't have the ability to pass on costs, and as the covid retail spending pattern drifts into history they are just reverting what they looked like pre-covid. Easier to paint a picture of a crumbling consumer struggling with cost of living than to just admit your business is average at best. I think that is what is happening to DSK

Pre-covid, DSK was a business with ~65% GPM and 55% CODB. They will probably settle somewhere around that. The broader issue though is how much growth is left in the business? When they came to the market they had ~112 stores (up from 96 in 2018), now they have 151. How big is the candle market in Australia? To me it seems like all the easy runs are on board. It was a classic PE play, imo, a proven store concept with reasonable unit economics that tosses off cash and has low upfront costs and a bit of a growth runway. Without the growth angle, it's hard to see this being a takeover target, but maybe I'm undercooking how many stores are possible. Had covid not happened perhaps the PE owners would now be bringing DSK to market having captured most of the growth but while still being able to sell the growth story.

So, I guess you could foreseeably see in a few years 155 stores doing ~$132m in sales at a 5% NPAT margin ~$6.5m give or take. So $6.5m NPAT for a largely ex-growth small cap retail business it's hard to see it trading too far north of 12x earnings and more likely between 8-12x. However, I think there is still a lot of water to pass under the bridge. And I'm not sure I'd be banking that cash in my valuation as the operating leverage of the business reverses.

Just some rough numbers to illustrate the fragility of that cash position, 1H24 CODB was $36.7m, in FY23 the split was 51/49, the sales split was 62.5%/37.5% and the GPM was 64.6%/63.3% in H2. In the guidance they said sales were down ~7.8% on the same period (2H23: $51.5).

Using those numbers to estimate the cash outflow of H2 (and yes, revenue may indeed improve as the half progresses):

Revenue $47,500

COGS $30,162

GP $17,500

CODB $35,200

Cash operating loss $17,700

I'm not saying that is what will happen, there are obviously things a business can do to mitigate costs, but getting stuck in a stock with unravelling operating leverage can be a dangerous place. I'd also not there was a ~$5.6m increase in payables. I assume this will have to be unwound at some point in this period or the next.

It's just one I'd rather take a wait and see approach with.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@UlladullaDave good analysis. I’ll just add my own experience (recognising it’s often dangerous to do this). When you receive a candle gift that a year ago you re-gifted, that might be a sign we’ve reached “peak candle”.

Dominator
2 months ago

@UlladullaDave a great analysis of the current position of Dusk, nothing I can disagree with so fair to say it tipped me over the edge. I'm off to the sidelines...

You have made me realise, I am not applying my buying rules in reverse. My buying rules dictate that I buy companies that have stable/improving fundamentals/outlook and market momentum, why should I not apply this as a sell guideline when fundamentals/outlook are worsening and market doesn't like the company? There isn't really any good reason... One bad half may be acceptable to continue to hold if there is a clear path to improvement, no company is perfect and all have their ups and downs. However, for Dusk at this time there is no clear path out besides the external factor of the improving consumer confidence, no one can reliably predict when this will happen.

There is no need to be holding shares while I sit and watch which way things go over time for Dusk. I can sit on the sidelines with my capital safe. If signs of Dusk's operating leverage and growth reappear in time I can reassess then if I want to get back in or not. This strategy worked well for me with DUG.

After posting my initial straw, updating my valuation was humbling experience, noticing how over time my valuation continued to get lower and lower. This should have been a sign... Reviewing my losses in other companies over time this is a common theme that occurred. Looks like another sell rule I should apply to companies that I hold.

Some good lessons learnt here... The investing apprenticeship continues...