Forum Topics CGS CGS Meeting

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Just watched the video from the recent meeting.

I felt reassured that the confidence implied by the continued share buy back was real. At least in the short-medium term. The likelihood of larger contracts from the 3 new big pharma companies to contract their services was clearly something that Brad thought (and the Board) would have a very high likelihood of bringing increased revenues in teh future.

The expansion of Cognigram into the yearly health check in the US is really interesting. Brad raised the point that there is a big gap between identifying a decline and there being any actionable steps. This may not matter. The old "show me the incentives...." quote comes to mind. If there is a positive financial impact for the primary healthcare provider, they will want to use the test. If there is also a perceived benefit from the patient, they will want the test. This might be all that matters. Be interesting to see how that evolves.

That got me thinking - they should have a free app you can download and test yourself at home. Turns out they do - it's called Lila - you can test yourself and track your results over time, I just downloaded and will give it a burn tomorrow. I'm surprised this has never come up before - presumably it hasn't got much traction as yet.

Overall, I felt considerably reassured about heir capital management, which was my main concern with how the business is tracking.

Held.

Slew
2 months ago

M&A target?

• Brad said, regarding competition, Cogstate is a minor player in a market, overshadowed by larger U.S. firms with broader service offerings.
  • The details of a previous takeover offer about a year ago remain undisclosed.
  • The testing protocols and particularly the database could be of real interest to a larger company.
  • With a market cap of around $220 million, CGS is small, making it an easy acquisition target for international companies, even at a premium.

Succession Planning:

• In the prior meeting, Brad acknowledged that he won’t be there forever, so at some stage there will need to be an exit plan.
  • Who knows when that will be could be 5-10 years, tomorrow?
  • Is M&A an option at the right price?

Capital Management:

• The SOI trend has been increasing until the last few years
  • I have no time currently to dig into the actual figures, but perhaps the buyback strategy is offsetting options/incentives?

169070232af18521f29fa3c436c5c29ce0dead.png

My outlook:

I’ve been contemplating my position, over the past year, the lack of news has been discouraging. I was waiting for the results and the recent SM interview to shape my perspective. My conclusion is that CGS appears positive from this point and being somewhat out of favour with the market makes it attractive to me.

The biggest negative in my eyes is the lack of liquidity and understanding of the business, which may keep bigger players away. It also potentially creates an opportunity, albeit a somewhat uncomfortable buy…

Having held CGS for about 4 years, I’m well in the money and topped up yesterday. I also anticipate there may be an opportunity to buy in June re: tax loss selling.

held

Slomo
2 months ago

Similar to @Chagsy, I came away from the recent CGS CEO meeting with a more positive take than I got from the 1H 24 Preso.

I went into this with similar concerns to @Seymourbutts following the 1H 24 main around capital allocation following lower revenues - as articulated here https://strawman.com/reports/CGS/Seymourbutts?view-straw=25367

My core thesis for this business is that they are selling picks and shovels to the Alzheimer's gold rush with some big pharma deep pockets chasing a massive market and needing CGS’s best in class software to conduct trials.

Buying back

I asked about this in the interview, as did others via @Strawman.

I was pretty happy with Brad’s response and the thinking behind the continued buy back … provided the expected cash flows from pipeline materialise in the anticipated timeframe.

This seems to be a show of confidence by mgmt. and belief in the long term value – noting that mgmt. have a clearer view of the pipeline quality and timing than they communicate to the market.

Also that they have sufficient cash reserves to fund their growth and expect to FCF positive in FY24.

Management

Management is central to my thesis for CGS – specifically that they are experienced and aligned.

Directors and KMP’s have skin in the game w ~20% insider ownership.

The 20yr tenured CEO has a 3-4% holding depending if you fully dilute the share count to include options (which I do as they are mostly in or close to being in the money). This is 9x his Annual Salary.

Directors have an average tenure of 12 years, over which period the share price is up 4x (11% CAGR).

They have picked up some bruises with the slower than expected trials and the M&A farrago a year or so ago.

I am trusting mgmt. to have learnt what they can from these incidents and to be better prepared for similar unforeseeable future events.

Disc: Held.

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@Slomo @Chagsy i was watching a podcast on weight loss drugs and it was raised that Alzheimers is a target as well as (many) other indications. my thinking on this is that as long as CGS is on the list of test patients for LLY NVO and whoever else, they need to do the test to see if it works on top of any existing big pharma. maybe another source of clients in a race for a cure? so +

Marsdrix
2 months ago

There would be a great lag between using a GLP-1 antagonist and any reduction in risk of Alzheimer’s that may be too long to do a clinical trial. Diabetes and cardiovascular factors are a risk for alzheimers, but I suspect it would be too slow moving to need Cogstate for that one. As a holder I’ll be very happy to be wrong!