Forum Topics DSK DSK Sun sets on Dusk

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

Unfortunately I bought into Dusk a few years ago when candles were popular during the pandemic. Now I think the well-being community are steering clear of artificial fragrances and sweet smelling fragrance are now on the nose! My wife warned me about this and I should have listened!

I managed to offload some of our holding before the latest spiral downwards, at a significant loss. Today, Dusk is trading at 78cps, cum a 2.3cps fully franked dividend (goes ex dividend this Monday, 11th March).

I feel like just biting the bullet and selling it so I can wipe the red off my screen. However, the business is debt free and holds 50cps in cash. The businesses is now trading at just over its equity value. All it needs to do now is run at a profit and return 10% return on equity to make future returns look reasonable. The big question here is will Dusk continue to run at a profit?

Providing they don’t squander their cash away by rolling out loss making stores, and they can turn a reasonable profit, the business looks too cheap to sell at today’s price. I might live to regret this, and my wife will continue to remind me of it too!

Worst Investment Ever! :(

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@Rick probably an example of the weak point in your process, which i suspect will throw up high Roe (quality) with lowish PE (cheap), sometimes the market is right they cant earn the old returns going forward. DSK was probably flattered in the past on these metrics. have to be very careful about the sustainability of the reinvestment rate assumptions

Rick
2 months ago

There’s no doubt about that @Solvetheriddle! It’s all about future profitability, and the formula can’t tell you that! :)

Solvetheriddle
2 months ago

@Rick as we have all learned through tough experience lol

UlladullaDave
2 months ago

Hi @Rick

I posted my thoughts on the cash position a few weeks back. It's in this thread. tl;dr don't bank on that cash being there in my view.

https://strawman.com/member/forums/topic/8472