Forum Topics MLX MLX Bull Case

Pinned straw:

Last edited 2 months ago

MetalsX finally showing some initiative in capital management with the pile of cash lying around.

a871642cafc8345a2a8623417079a7d22fdbe1.png

However this may not stop the share price being capped due to the selling from Old Peak.since most selling has been absorbed by APAC Resources Pty Ltd.

The story does not end there. Brett Smith who is the MD of MetalsX is also the deputy chairman of APAC Resources

2191a5f261592256faf817a7addafae4f8862c.png

Old Peak has 41m shares left vs 198m from APAC. The 41m could in theory be absorbed by the proposed buyback.

For those looking to get out and break even, including myself, maybe now is the chance?

Might be a prudent move given past valuations sub 20c? But recent performance and Tin price appreciation since the export hold in Indonesia gives some pause for thought

75a2129ae5bba5c1e3495d0448abbbeedda8ce.png

[held]

Bear77
2 months ago

Metals X is an interesting company @edgescape - I posted a straw here this afternoon (CYM - Cyprium Metals Limited - Strawman: ASX share price, valuation, research and discussion) about CYM, who MLX sold their copper assets to in March 2021 after spinning out their gold assets in 2016 - into Westgold Resources (WGX), and I did briefly discuss that divestment strategy of MLX into a pure tin company now, and compared their 5 year share price returns to those of CYM, WGX and the main benchmark indices (XJO & XAO). Unsurprisingly, WGX has performed best, as gold has been making new all-time highs, while Copper hasn't done so well, and the CYM assets are not great copper assets anyway, and Tin has been up and down, with the MLX 5 year share price graph not being too far away from the 5 year tin price graph:

d33342be7931e58610cb4488b562b9e71bb3d8.png

9a2570b20b7708b5f3daefe6e160a5688e1e36.png

Source: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/tin

So while buying and selling by "Subs" do certainly have impacts on the share price, it appears that the underlying commodity price has a far stronger correlation.

I do note that tin prices have been moving in a positive way (NE trajectory) over the past 16 months, and the MLX SP has been more sideways for most of that with an uptick more recently, so there might be a little catch-up happening now.

My brother does mine-site shut-down work, and has been trying to line up a short-term shut job at Renison (Australia's largest tin mine, 50% owned by MLX) and organise some hiking in Tasmania's south west directly afterwards - or before - or both, but the contracting company that he would be working for keep deferring the shut-down, or refusing to confirm the dates, so last time I talked to him (which was about a month ago when I was over in WA) he still didn't know if that would go ahead, or when. Not sure if that is a reflection on the mine management or the contractors however. He said there was also a lot of maintenance shut-downs being cancelled or deferred across Australia - especially in WA - mostly with nickel mines and processing plants. I would NOT think tin would be in a similar position, as tin prices have been recovering over the past 16 months. The feedback is that shutdowns across the gold sector seem to be fairly locked-in - they don't get changed or deferred very often, they tend to go ahead as planned, but that across base metals it's a different story at this point.

edgescape
2 months ago

I think I'm getting a bit weary of the #Tinbarons on twitter mentioning Indonesian export restrictions, Myanmar export restrictions to China (when really it probably isn't as China found a way to circumvent controls) etc that will have a positive impact on Tin. Personally I don't feel there is any shortage of tin and most of it seems to be orchestrated. Furthermore, I'm sure that Indonesia will resolve the quota on exports soon as it is in their interest to prop up the industry even if there is corruption or environmental damage.

Not to mention the latest exploration update from MetalsX at Ringrose which I thought was pretty average.

Only positive is MetalsX has continued to hit underground development milestones.

Tough life being and underground base metals miner.

edgescape
2 months ago

Finally out of MetalsX

Have those old straws from @Rapstar aged well?

The MetalsX thesis clearly shows the importance of timing cycles and seeing value when sentiment is at a all time low.

And it is something to apply in all our decisions

I'm sure that #tinbarons and Rusty Delroy will prove us strawpeople wrong in selling or being short tin and we will probably see at least 45c share price here.

However I am also mindful of China and that there could be a "strategic reserve" of tin ready to flood the market.

edgescape
a month ago

MetalsX only bought back 250k of shares

Given the buyback is for one year I estimated about 350k of shares bought per day.

So this buyback is falling well short of target.

There is also the additional concern about the APAC holding.

We might still be right that this buyback won't do much to the share price and is still dependent on price of Tin. Will be interesting once exports from Indonesia are resolved