Forum Topics PNV PNV Short Strategy

Pinned straw:

Added 2 months ago

WIth the currently Share Price (SP) of PNV moving upwards, I'm trying to work out what to do with PNV.

Given the reduction in PNV short position since Dec 2024....I think the key questions are:

• Do we think the short position will continue to be reduced?
  • To what level?
  • How long will that take?
  • What other buying momentum might happen along the way?
  • What will happen after the funds stop reducing their short position?
  • What are the factors that might push the SP down at this point?
  • What are the factors that might hold or push up the SP at this point.

The following is a bit of a ramble to answer the above questions:

The short position has reduced from about 4.5% (SP $1.50 Mid Dec 2023 approx) to 3.5% (Current SP $2.40 Mid Mar 2024 approx). Unlikely to see the short position go down past 2.5%. (Keen if someone has a view on this). But not all the SP movement upwards since Dec 2023 is due to the shorts buying on the market and reducing their position. We have had a bunch of great news from PNV.

However, if the short position is to drop back to about 2.5% than means about 7 million shares to be bought back. Daily PNV volumes sit at about an average of 1.5 million shares traded a day. So assuming the shorts buy back about 200,000 shares a day....that is 35 trading days to reduce their position....So in about mid May the SP could be at about $3:00 - 3.50? Do we think that volume of trades per day is likley to provide much upward momentum? Maybe just a little? It is more likely that people are starting to recognise PNV as a great investment?

I have had a look at what happened around the last big short squeeze during the last half of 2020. And I think that set of events and where PNV is now compared to then....means it is not that relevant. PNV had loads of head winds with COVID, ASX200 games being played, change of CEO etc. And now PNV turns a profit, growing massively etc. And the other smaller squeeze in 2022....that to me was the ASX200 games being played and the market didn't have consistent data on revenue. So again very different to now.

When the shorts stop buying back...will that have an effect on SP? Well it will cease that small tailwind effect.

In terms of future SP catalysts (positive and negative). I think once more news/orders from India appear that will be a positive. $10m month revenue figure will be a positive. Potential negatives could be cost blow out on the new production facility (but we would not likley hear about that for at least 9-12 months).

Conclusion:

When i started to write this straw....I was convinced we were in a small short squeeze. But now i don't think so...just some tail wind being added to the general positive momentum upwards for the SP.

BUT - As many of us have modelled, a valuation of about $2.50 seems fair. And at what point do we start to see PNV as overvalued and start to sell/trim our PNV positions?

John Parkinson

Note: I have also posted this on HotCopper to see what the chartists and others think...there are some HC members with great access to professional trading screens etc. But so far I have not got any great insights...

Rick
2 months ago

@Parko5 thanks for your thoughts on the drivers for valuation.

This is one business where I’m trying not to worry too much about valuation, and to let it run until our holding becomes a risk if things were to go wrong. My aim is to let the holding grow to 10% of our total IRL holdings.

My thesis is based on BTM products being adopted globally to aid healing of burns and other traumas that are still being explored. Polynovo has the potential to grow revenue exponentially with a huge gross margin. Net margins will improve as BTM becomes the gold standard in facilitating improved outcomes in healing serious burns and other traumas, requiring relatively less marketing costs when its use becomes ubiquitous. At least that’s my thesis for now!

I see the key risks to be adverse reactions to the product (so far it has shown to be 100% safe), competition from alternatives, poor execution decisions, poor capital management (so far this has been excellent), and expiry of the patent opening the market up to other manufacturers.

Management are executing global uptake very well with sales and support teams well established, and research into alternative uses being conducted by numerous organisations, encouraged and supported by Polynovo.

Last time Polynovo was trading at these levels I sold it all. I’m not planning on doing the same this time given how far the business has evolved since January 2023. I think we are on the cusp of a global giant.

Thats how I’m thinking, and how I intend to manage our holding until there is some adverse news that throws some doubt on my thesis, which of course is possible.

Rick
2 months ago

@Parko5 thanks for your thoughts on the drivers for valuation.

This is one business where I’m trying not to worry too much about valuation, and to let it run until our holding becomes a risk if things were to go wrong. My aim is to let the holding grow to 10% of our total IRL holdings.

My thesis is based on BTM products being adopted globally to aid healing of burns and other traumas that are still being explored. Polynovo has the potential to grow revenue exponentially with a huge gross margin. Net margins will improve as BTM becomes the gold standard in facilitating improved outcomes in healing serious burns and other traumas, requiring relatively less marketing costs when its use becomes ubiquitous. At least that’s my thesis for now!

I see the key risks to be adverse reactions to the product (so far it has shown to be 100% safe), competition from alternatives, poor execution decisions, poor capital management (so far this has been excellent), and expiry of the patent opening the market up to other manufacturers.

Management are executing global uptake very well with sales and support teams well established, and research into alternative uses being conducted by numerous organisations, encouraged and supported by Polynovo.

Last time Polynovo was trading at these levels I sold it all. I’m not planning on doing the same this time given how far the business has evolved since January 2023. I think we are on the cusp of a global giant.

Thats how I’m thinking, and how I intend to manage our holding until there is some adverse news that throws some doubt on my thesis, which of course is possible.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Parko5 and @Rick not sure if you are both on DW's mailing list, but this just came through. It's how DW has marked $PNV passing through the inflection point!

d569dd096f6cb2afccb4f692563bacb5b338c3.png

Nnyck777
2 months ago

Fantastic - Green jacket has arrived. A very high conviction stock. 24.4 % of SMSF now due to purchasing more in the lows 0.90’s. Privately about 6%. Agree with @mikebrisy I am holding all for the ride. No plan to sell yet. One of my highest conviction stocks too.

mikebrisy
2 months ago

@Parko5 interesting question. I'm going to do a full update of my $PNV valuation at the FY results, so excuse the complexity of this reply.

For now, my adjusted last valuation is $2.25 ($1.90 to $3.50 range) ... or roughly in that ballpack by way of a manual adjustment to my model.

I've held $PNV since late 2019. The SP got a bit crazy in late 2020 as your graph shows, partly because of low interest rates, partly because of the huge relief rally during COVID, and partly because the echoes of Paul Brennan saying that sales could double each year for the next 5 years. I do seem to recall there was massive short covering in late 2020, but like you I don't have the data.

I decided $4.00 was just too rich, and I cashed out 100% of my position (transactions at $3.43 and $4.01)

By mid-2021 I started buying back in, starting at $2.41 and following the fall all the way down to $0.86 ($0.90 on SM) and then back up to $1.40. That was because the SP was WAY below my SP range (published on SM).

But I have steadfastly held on to ever share since then, simply because I have an eye on the asymmteric upside.

You see, the market is pricing in about 30% revenue growth over the next few years (partly because David and Jan subtly weave that into their remarks during investor calls - so these are no accidental remarks). However, in reality, current revenue growth is more like 50-60%.

My higher side scenarios have that carrying on for a while.

So, why will I not sell a single share below $3.50?

I don't care what the shorts do. But I do care about reducing my position and getting caught short. For example, any of the following could catalyse the next leg up with no notice:

1. New record month
  2. A strong revenue beat on FY24 consensus (quite likley)
  3. Announcement of a material tender in India - as the market doesn't know how to price that yet
  4. Positive news on MTX adoption or other progress on the product portfolio
  5. Announcement on BARDA and US full thickness burns indication - there is active and ongoing FDA/BARDA engagement on that

Apart from the "downside case" of revenue slowing in FY25 to +30%, or some other major problem (e.g. product recall), I find it hard to the SP falling back below $1.80 - although the $PNV rollercoaster does surprise us all!!

While my position size rules prevent me buying at this level ($PNV is back up to my biggest position in RL), it remains my highest conviction stock and I'd only trade it if the SP goes up over $3.50.

The shorts will do what they will do, but they don't have any bearing on the long term price in my view. BUt if we go back to $4.00 on a short squeeze,... then that's a different story.

lankypom
2 months ago

I have held PNV in my RL pf for 4 years now, topping up twice. My entry points haven't been particularly brilliant, and my position has only recently moved into positive territory, now boasting a whopping annual return of 3%.

Normally I would disinvest from a company that hasn't yielded me at least an annual 10% return over 3 years - but I am more than happy to make an exception in the case of PNV. Similar to @mikebrisy , this is just about my highest conviction stock. Operating leverage is kicking in big time, margins are outrageous, the product sells itself by reputation, global markets await, manufacturing capacity is more than adequate with very modest future Capex needs, adjacent markets will become available thanks to (rather drawn out) R&D, management doesn't seem to be putting a foot wrong.

So I don't really care about the share price in the short term. I'm pretty sure that in 5 years time I will be a very happy holder, and I don't see any point in agonising about the opportunity cost of waiting for the eventual reward, since 'do nothing' is my default setting.

I recall a similar chequered history with Codan. At one point after holding for a couple of years, I was under water by 50%, but conviction kept me in there. Now I've held for more than 10 years, topped up 3 times along the way, and this investment has yielded me an annual return of 19% over that time span.

In fact I find that in general the longer I hold stock of a company I believe in, the greater the return. Funny that :-)