Forum Topics CAT CAT Why it is right time to look a

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

I just penned an article about the Catapult turnaround thesis at A Rich life:

https://arichlife.com.au/a-closer-look-at-the-catapult-group-international-asx-cat-turnaround/

If you are interested. Happy to get feedback.

mushroompanda
3 months ago

Great writeup @Valueinvestor0909.

I took a small position in real life after the half yearly results. I wanted to add more, but the price ran away from me. The attraction is the new management team putting a leach on costs, and inflecting into cash-flow positivity.

The recent examples of VHT and MP1 (and many others) have shown, that previous levels of high spending might not have been all that necessary to facilitate growth. Reining in the costs put these companies on more sustainable trajectories and transformed the investment narrative.

The danger is well run competitors such as Hudl. Hudl have much better video solutions (including hardware that can film training sessions and games with no operators), and have recently complemented this with a wearables offering similar to CAT's. Video analysis intuitively feels like the more sticky product, in which case could wearables be relegated to just a feature in a broad elite sport platform?

Thanks @mushroompanda.

There is a great article on catapult's competition on a rich life : https://arichlife.com.au/a-closer-look-at-catapult-internationals-competition-asx-cat/

JPPicard
3 months ago

Great write up@Valueinvestor0909. Some quality work went into this one I can tell.

The company's always interested me of sure. As you suggest, there's some potential strong upside here.

One thing that's always grinded my gears with them is that they've been pretty good at performing some financial magic on the numbers. They always seem to find a way to make the numbers look a little better than they actually are. Are you write about in the article, the capitalisation of devices is a very good example. Why would they do this? Without the devices they have no data, therefore no value. I think that's a bit of a gimmick.

Another point is the FCF excluding Share Based Payments. Those payments are very real too.

Anywho, much worse has been done in the past, and I must agree with you that the turnaround here is pretty impressive. I'm routing for them. Let's see what happens.

Strawman
3 months ago

Great write-up @Valueinvestor0909 -- although perhaps that's just because as a long term baggy I want it to be true :)

What a journey this thing has been.. But maybe, just maybe, it's time has come!

I have high expectations from this management. Upcoming result will inform me if my thesis is right or not...fingers cross..

I have put it out there so prepared to look stupid on it.

AUROPAL
3 months ago

@Strawman insert "so you're telling me there's a chance" GIF

Seymourbutts
3 months ago

Couldn't help myself....

1c5e7233f4c48d727b6c8bdc03c4b035f0b309.png

Ha ha. Probably insult to @Strawman.

Strawman
3 months ago

Lol, love it.

There's probably a warning to be had here @Valueinvestor0909 , my journey with Catapult is a cautionary tale :)

Here's hoping you don't end up waiting as long as me for this bloody thing to finally deliver!