Forum Topics NEU NEU Bear Case

Pinned straw:

Added 3 months ago

As the $NEU SP enjoys another SP pop on the back of no new information at a conference this morning, I thought I'd air something that has been bothering me since I analysed the results of DAYBUE in detail over the weekend.

HEALTH WARNING: the charts I have posted below are the just the results of modelling. Even historical data are not disclosed results and there are discrepancies with disclosed facts. So the analysis should not be understood to be my forecast.

With the disclaimer out of the way, I realised I cou;=ldn't fully reconcile the DAYBUE Q1 sales results with some of the statements made on previous calls. Understandably, with the product in the market for only one year, $ACAD are being careful.

Top Level Question: Can DAYBUE sale reach 2024 Guidance (The market seems to think it can with only modest downgrades to TP's for $ACAD and $NEU)

Facts: What do we know?

Sales Revenue ($US m):

Q223 $23.2

Q323 $66.9

Q423 $87,1

Q124 $75.9

Patients Taking the Drug

Q223: not disclosed; 400 prescribers had written scripts, with 7/10 so far converted to paid prescriptions

Q323: about 800 patients taking the drug

Q423: almost 900 patient taking the drug (ok, I assume 890)

End-Feb: 860 patients taking the drug

End-Mar: 862 taking the drug of 1300 who have initiated.

Other Key Facts

Over the winter holidays there were payer delays with getting refills.

January: significantly reduced Rett Clinic days in over 50% of COEs

January-February: discontinuations peaked (due to massive uptake in Q4) exceeding new starters, hence net patient declines.

For the 6 weeks up to 3-May, net patient adds positive again for each week (which means net declines continued to late March!)

We know the Persistency of the drug over time. Below is my modelled curve which interpolates gaps in published data.For the purposes of this analysis we can treat this as a fact (even though there is long term uncertainty).

95d448e72b1847f6e62384dc02b25f60b22f66.png

Modelling Method

With all the above information, I have built a simple model as follows.

Patients (month m) = Patient (month m-1) x Persistency Function + New patients (m)

Guess and iterate patients in months 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 to fit reported numbers

Ramp down new patients in month Dec, Jan, Feb and March to hit reported numbers

Ramp back new patients from May 24 and hold new adds constant to match company statement that we are entering a more linear phase (this was the report at Q4 results and essentially repeated most recently).

So what will the rate of new patient adds be? That's the billion dollar question.

In the scenario below, I've modelled 88 per month. That would take them from 1300 patients having started the drug by end April 2024 (26% of the US diagnosed population) to 2000 (or 40%) by end 2024.

Note: you can't do the maths without the model because you need to apply the perisistency function to each cohort.

Here's what it looks like.

b2ef5f4d5dd964dde58327ba138b5d78ffa046.png

92b60cc1b3027442458bbd165d6b1293dc4aa0.png

Revenue Calculation

This is the hairy bit. I do a prop rata calculation on the quarterly revenue based on the average modelled number of patients taking the drug in the quarter and BINGO. (I could have been more sophisticared and taken the unit price x n x 75-80% average rate, but I am nore sure that this leads to a better answer. Add to the "to do list".)

For the scenario shown above, my modelled 2024 DAYBUE revenue is: $US346m (versus guidance of $370m to $420m)

So, if I believe the model, the question is what level of monthly new patient adds do I need to hit the bottom of guidance.

Answer: 116

This gives end 2024 patients of 1428 with 2225 having initiated, which is 44.5% of the diagnosed population.

If they can sustain that rate of patient adds, they'll get to 2313 patients by end 2025, with 3613 patients having initiated or 72.3% of the diagnosed population.

I won't model higher rates because I don't think its credible. Here's why. Reaching the entire population will be a challenge. My scenario above assumes linear growth is sustained, which is very unlikely into 2025 as you start to penetrate the second half of the population. (New adds will follow some kind of exponential decay function).

One reason uptake will fall off, is that a significant proportion of the population will likley elect not to try the drug. Side effects and limited efficacy will put some off. Furthermore, there will be accessibility issues.

Implications

First, maybe my modelling is wrong. But do far I haven't found the bug.

Second, maybe my revenue calculation introduces signfiicant error. After all, the model predicts that Q124 revenue should have been $88m, whereas is was $76m, but maybe they really got hit bad by reimbursement delays over the winder holidays?

But if the model is right, why didn't $ACAD update guidance? Who knows. Maybe they want a clear quarter, so they can update when they report in August. But by then if my model is right it will be very, very clear. So continuous disclosure obligations would push them to announce an earlier update.

$ACAD have better data than me, and would be able to build a much better model. (Mine only took an hour's work!)

The Bear Thesis

DAYBUE sales were blamed on seasonal effects impacting: 1) reimbursement and 2) new patient adds.

The model, which is pinned to reported data, help visualise how significant this must have been. It is interesting to re-read the transcripts with this picture in mind.

$ACAD might just hit bottom end of guidance. Too early to tell. But likely guidance will be revised downwards, once they have a better handle on monthly new patient adds. They only have 6 weeks of stabilisation at the last call, so maybe fair enought.

Implications for $NUE

2024 - the US$50m milestone is safe, so that's great news.

2025 - the next US$50m milestone will just be hit in 2025, if $ACAD hit 88 new patient adds per month and sustain this into 2025. If new patient adds fall in 2025, then it will miss.

Canada will help royalties for 2025.

My rough forecasts for $NEU as follows (consensus in brackets):

88 monthly patient add:

2024 $130m ($152m); 2025 $163m ($172m)

116 monthly patient adds (to be clear, I consider this scenario unlikely, based on the modelling)

2024 - $134m and 2025 - $185m

Implications for the Investment Thesis

The modelling confirms my hunch that the $ACAD results point to more than a seasonal blip.

That said, with Canada, Japan and EU in the pipeline, DAYBUE could still become a $bn+ drug by 2027 / 2028.

However, the weight of my thesis has shifted squarely over to NNZ-2591.

The result on the Phase 2 trials due in Q2 and Q3 this year will guide my portfolio weighting.

In the interim, I am bracing myself for an $ACAD downgrade - which would knock the SP.

On balance, my sense of risk-reward has shifted, and I have taken the opportunity today to trim my position size by one-third.

Investment Strategy

I now have a model to which I can history match the Q2 result. This will add a lot to my insights and projections.

If NNZ-2591 continues positive results in future indications - will add back to my full position as SP allows.

Likely catalyst to add back will be the $ACAD guidance downgrade, which I am pretty confident is only a matter of time. Based on commentary so far, the downgrade will be a surprise and so $NEU will take a hit.

If NNZ-2591 results are not positive AND DAYBUE disappoints, I'd potentially exit quite quickly.

Looking to $NEU Strawman Bulls to challenge this ... after all its a strawman!

Disc: Held in RL and SM

Bear77
3 months ago

Thanks for your latest analysis on Neuren (NEU) @mikebrisy - much appreciated - I have said here before that I usually stay well away from early stage biotechs and pharma companies because (a) it's not within my circle of competence, and (b) I have been burnt in the sector previously because of (a).

So I did invest in NEU last year based on what I was reading here and elsewhere, because they looked substantially derisked at least in terms of one drug, with possible future upside from more drugs in development, so dipped my toe in at around $13.40 - $13.50 in July 2023 and averaged down over the next 3 months, with my last buys being at around $10.90 to $11 in September. Was happy to see them rise up to $25/share - and I trimmed some at just under $23, then more at $21 on the way back down. This arvo I sold the other NEU shares that I held in my SMSF for $21.40 each - and swapped that money (plus some more) into PNV at $2.17 so my PNV position is actually larger than my NEU position was.

Here on Strawman.com, I sold 80% of my NEU (200 of the 250 that I held) and doubled my PNV position, as well as some other portfolio adjustments.

My understanding is that there is probably a near-term risk of a share price pull-back on lower than expected sales, but that there is still plenty of upside potential in the mid to longer term, and so I'm getting out in my real money portfolio and reducing exposure in SM, because I'm more comfortable invested in companies that I believe I have a better handle on - i.e. companies that are more within my circle of competency (or wheelhouse). This is not just due to what you wrote today Mike, but because I have a low risk tolerance in biotech and pharma because of money lost in past years on other companies in the same sector.

I'm 58 and have had to give up paid work a few years before I was expecting to (due to advanced OA that has already caused me to have both hips replaced) - so I am trying to minimise downside risk at this point. I've still retained a small NEU position here on SM to keep me interested, and I may jump back onboard at some point in the future in real life.

However, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone here who has contributed thoughts, opinions and analysis on Neuren Pharmaceuticals over the past year. It's been a profitable trade for me, with a better than +60% return in 8 to 10 months (my buys were over a period that spans 8 to 10 months ago).

And for those still invested in NEU, don't let my real money exit sway you in any way, it was outside of my usual area that I would typically invest in, and I was always going to jump off at any sign of trouble, or even possible short-term downside risk, and I have no idea how they will pan out from here. My gut feel is that they will probably pan out very well over the longer term, but I want to try to avoid any near-term share price retracement (in my SMSF) because of my own particular circumstances.

mikebrisy
3 months ago

@Bear77 I appreciate the feedback - sounds like we are at similar life stage and risk appetites, but with very different circles of competence (me,.. gold...never, but I am in awe of the depth of insight in your gold and other mining posts)

I did wonder about whether to post my analysis, as it is a bit rough and I didn't have time to edit it and communicate it more carefully.

However, I decided on balance to go ahead. I have agreed with and also contributed some very bullish things about $NEU, and so it was in part keeping myself honest to be balanced and disclose when I uncover things that are not all positive. I don't pump stocks - even as I recognise the tendancy to want to share your excitment when you think you are on to something leads to a bias in published information.

$NEU is one of my largest RL holdings. I am comfortable investing in the healthcare space - I guess due to being a former scientist, and having spent 5 years early in my career in the pharmaceutical industry, as well as some management consultingto the sector. I was happy for $NEU to become one of my largest RL holdings, despite my lack of competence, simply because the research I undertook (aided by fellow StrawPeople) satisfied me that the risk-reward profile was skewed in my favour, even allowing for the risk of my unconscious-incompetence.

My $NEU thesis is: a base valuation on trofinetide, with asymmetric risks to the upside, with a much riskier (and even more material) upside on NNZ-2591 to create the portfolio transforming opportunity. Basically, I saw and see $NEU as a free option to enjoy the riskier upside of NNZ-2591.

The recent DAYBUE result makes the trofinetide base of the thesis less solid. My model is a bit shonky, but I cannot get it to mid-point or upper level of guidance with assumptions that I am comfortable with. Models are nearly always wrong,...but when a roughly history-matched model can't predict expected outcomes only a year or two out, I have enough experience of modelling in all manner of industries over decades to ask some hard questions.

Importantly, I now doubt whether they'll get the $1bn and maybe even the $750m milestone payments for the US anytime soon - and those help to juice the upside. Of course there are some longer term unknowns; 1) does persistency truly plateau at 50% and 2) do we see increased diagnoses now that there is a treatment in town, moving the US market from 5000 to 6000-9000? These questions really drive the longer term value. Value in the EU is also an unknown, with quite a bit of uncertainty, on approval, pricing and uptake.

However, the thing that got inside my gut feel was: "why haven't $ACAD management adjusted their guidance range down?" Based on my analysis, I cannot believe the guidance reflects their current view on the likely range of outcomes, 4.5/12 months into the year. We had strong Q3 and Q4 momentum, due to pent up demand and a focus on COEs. Fine, we had a month of bad weather in January and a hiccup on refill reimbursement, but if you read the transcripts carefully, I just don't see the resumption of momentum, if all we can trumpet is "6-consecutive, net positive weeks" - i.e., new patients just ahead of discontinuations. Wow, talk about underwhelming....thats a lot of water under the bridge from a few weeks of clinic shutdowns in January.

So this winds up my perception of management risk. I don't really know the $ACAD crowd, and trust has to be earned. So, this is a potential orange or red flag - to be confirmed I'm guessing around Q2.

Importantly, just going through this thought process eroded my conviction. And in my investing rules, if conviction is reduced, the maximum portfolio weighting has to follow. So selling down a bit was automatic, even as I hated doing it (for only a 60% profit in 9 months, when I've marked $NEU to be a multi-bagger - that doesn't make me happy!).

So, for me, that was a material finding, so I felt that I had to disclose it otherwise I'd be misleading the community, by omission. If I sell a SM holding in RL on something that I've been positive about before, then I think I need to record it here.

To be clear, at close today, in RL, $NEU remains 4.6% of my RL ASX portfolio, and is my 7th largest ASX holding. Good news on NNZ-2591 or more insights on DAYBUE at Q2 results could easily see me increase weight again. Its equally possible that when Q2 comes out, I'll discover where my model is wrong. At which point, I'll happily write a post entitled: "Modelling DAYBUE - Why I Was a Wally"

But if I am right, I've already secured enough of the starting capital to not be too worried about a re-rate, and play the longer game to see how NNZ-2591 plays out. (Our family investment committee decided that was the right call this weekend.)

So, this is a long-winded addition to the "When I'd Sell" forum.

Finally, anything I write in straws or posts is not investment advice. Its my pesonal investment diary, and its as likely wrong as it is right. But that's my problem.

edgescape
3 months ago

An article from the Australian that I'm currently reading.

Should be interesting what De Silva thinks is good value.

De Silva’s fund targets biotechs

8c0f1165d4e4d827c338536f19abe34d1d27fd.png